1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Limited Slip vs. Locking Differential

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by notlawd, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Jul 15, 2007 at 11:49 AM
    notlawd

notlawd [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am getting ready to purchase my first Toyota Tacoma. The only thing I am having a hard time with, is deciding between the SR5 with optional limited slip or the TRD Off-Road. With the SR5 I will get the aluminum rims as an option. The SR5 will cost about $400.00 less this way. Are the other TRD options worth the extra $400? I think I prefer the limited slip over the Locking but did not like the Sport Package (did not like the hood scoop).

2. Jul 15, 2007 at 11:59 AM
    MarkC

MarkC Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yokota AB, Fussa-Shi, Japan
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 SR5
    2 inch spacer in the front, and homemade add a leaf in the rear, billet grille, bull bar
    Yes it is worth it to have that rear locker, wet grass, boat ramps, it's a good thing to have

3. Jul 15, 2007 at 12:25 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    For $400.00 more I'd definately go with the TRD off-road package. I'd also double check the math on that. I believe that the TRD package was significantly more then 400 more.

But in addition to the Locker, you also get the bilstien suspension. Yes it does ride a little rougher, but nothing that is overly noticable, and in my opinion it is a much more confident feeling suspension. Others may have all the right words, but in simplest terms my 04 was an SR5 my o7 is a TRD and I like the wey the truck feels on both the road and the trail better with the off-road. You also get the bed outlet. in truth, not the most usefull of features to make note of, but hey it did a great job of running my blender to make margaritas when we were tailgating for the last Jimmy Buffett concert.

It is also the only way to get the engine skid plate, and front tow hook I believe, and if you are going to do any wheelin' it only takes one time needing these and not having them before you start kicking yourself.

IMHO definately well worth the $400.00

4. Jul 16, 2007 at 9:29 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    the TRD package is an option that cost over $3000. if you can get it for 400 over what you're looking at you need to jump on that ASAP. Beter suspension, better seats, pretty decals, rear locker (very handy when you need it) and all TRD's have the SR5 package included if im not mistaken. And if your concerned about the ride of the bilsteins, here is a thread i started not that long ago

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/1531-impressive-handling.html

5. Jul 16, 2007 at 1:13 PM
    keynote22

keynote22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    limited slip is better for daily driving conditions. An after market locker can be added easily and cheaply if you want to off road. I have a TRD off road and really miss limited slip when driving in the rain around corners. But, I off road often and love the locker then :D. I hate my chrome grill but Im not to jazzed about the hood scoop or the 17 inch rims on the sport. I wish I could have the limited slip and the locker but oh well. You cant add limited skip after the fact the way you can add a locker.

6. Jul 16, 2007 at 1:22 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah but the locker and the lsd aren't the only 2 options that are different if he went with the TRD. The TRD has ALOT more options and upgrades than the regular SR5 pkg. and for only $400 more thats an amazing deal!

7. Jul 16, 2007 at 1:31 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    OK - So which would be cheaper for me to buy AND have installed: A Detroit TruTrac LSD or an ARB Air or Electronic Locker (or other recommended brand)???

I was going to go TruTrac, but I find more and more that I want a controlable locker.

8. Jul 16, 2007 at 2:02 PM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    Depending on how long you are going to keep the truck, you have to remember that if the LSD has a clutch, it will wear out eventually and you will have to replace it. That is something that most people never think about when it comes to their LSD. On the other hand, an elocker does not wear out since it is so seldom engaged.

9. Jul 16, 2007 at 6:22 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    The Detroit TruTrac LSD is clutchless. It is completely gear driven.

10. Jul 16, 2007 at 7:00 PM
    chrisqueens155

chrisqueens155 Member

Member:
    does the limited slip differential engage when the truck is in 2 wheel drive or only in 4x4?

11. Jul 16, 2007 at 7:09 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Well, I only have a 2WD, so...

Just kidding. A limited slip differential will change the torque from the wheel that has the least resistance the higher resistance. It is never really unegaged or engaged.

12. Jul 16, 2007 at 7:10 PM
    chrisqueens155

chrisqueens155 Member

Member:
    hey thanks alot for the reply

13. Jul 17, 2007 at 5:18 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    No problem. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We will try to help as best we can. :)

14. Jul 17, 2007 at 5:21 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Ok, I need to clear up my earlier post. It is not entirely accurate with my thinking...

The Detroit TruTrac is clutchless, BUT that isn't to mean that it does not wear out. All mechanical parts wear out eventually. I would have to agree with you that in theory a LSD will wear out faster than an e-locker. I just have no experience with a locker.

15. Jul 17, 2007 at 5:32 AM
    Panama Red

Member:
    007Tacoma:
    It sounds like the Detroit TrueTrac is better than the standard clutch LSD though.

In looking at the difference between the Detroit Locker and Detroit TrueTrac, it is interesting how each is rated for best usage (higher the number, the better the use).

Detroit Locker:
    Off-Road - 5
    Rock Crawling - 5
    Street to Strip - 4
    Towing - 1

Detroit TrueTrac:
    Off-Road - 3
    Rock Crawling - 1
    Street to Strip - 5
    Towing - 4

16. Jul 17, 2007 at 5:51 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    That is some great information! Where did you find that?

17. Jul 17, 2007 at 4:08 PM
    notlawd

notlawd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the advice. Sorry I did not explain the cost difference very well. The TRD is about $1,500 more than the TRD off Road. When you add alloy rims and LSD to the SR5 it is roughly $400 - $500 less than the TRD. The only other options that the TRD would have for the extra $400 would be the shocks, skid plate, bigger tires, tow hooks, 112v outlet, and compass display. Out of those options the skid plates and tow hooks would be nice to have. However, I could get after market skid plates and tow hooks for less than $400. It is not so much the money, it is the choice between the locker and LSD without choosing the Sport package.

18. Jul 17, 2007 at 6:15 PM
    Panama Red

Member:
    notlawd:
    You forgot one of the BIGGEST benefits of the TRD Taco versus the SR5 Taco and that is the SEATS. There has been a lot of people (and I am included in them) that will tell you that the standard Toyota bucket seats are not the best in the world, but the TRD seats are head and shoulders above the SR5 seats. As a result, you might want to check it out before you buy since as the old saying goes "no matter how far you drive, you are still sitting in the same place the whole distance".

19. Jul 18, 2007 at 6:48 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I don't know if all the taco bucket seats have this, but the TRD driver side has adjustable lumbar support, which i LOVE.

Notlawd, i would recomend the TRD with the locker over the LSD. Of course you could always go with the sport package to get the LSD then replace the hood when you get a chance. I know sunrunner put a sport hood on his truck and i want to say it ran him around $400 but im not sure. Or you may be able to find someone to trade with you. I got the TRD off-road cause it had the options i wanted, but i would love to get my hands on a sport hood. If i knew anyone with a black TRD sport that wanted to trade hoods i would do it in a hearbeat.

20. Jul 18, 2007 at 6:50 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I forgot to mentin something. Car and driver did a review of the 2nd gen taco after 40k miles. they reviewed one without the TRD pkg. They said that the factory suspension became softer and very loud after 40k. alot of squeaking and groaning. having the upgraded suspension is a good idea

Products Discussed in

To Top