1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Little Red Turbo Creeper

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by unstpible, Jan 10, 2022.

1. May 17, 2023 at 10:20 PM
    unstpible

unstpible [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 boosted V6 Auto 334k miles
    CX Racing Turbo kit TransGo shift kit All Pro Apex bumper and skids Smittybilt XRC 9.5 winch All Pro Upper control arm's Bilstein 6112's with 600lb coils Eimkeith's lower control arm reinforcement plates with Perry Parts bump stops All Pro spindle gussets and alignment cam tabs All Pro standard 3" leaf springs Bilstein 5125's rear Extended rear brake line Rear diff breather relocation MagnaFlow catback with resonator Bluetooth stereo Memphis 6x9 door speakers with tweeters Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Amber fog lights Single piece headlights aftermarket grille Anzo taillights LED 3rd brake light 4runner sunglass holder and dome lights Master Tailgaters rear view mirror with 3 directional cameras, G shock sensors, and anti theft system Honda windshield washer nozzles Stubby antenna Scan Guage II 2nd Gen Snowflake wheels powder coated black Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 235-75/16 Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Speedytech7's big wire harness upgrade Aeromotive 340 fuel pump
    My hack job through the core support yesterday did the same thing

MarX, GoJo[QUOTED] and Speedytech7 like this.
  2. May 17, 2023 at 10:21 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I'm hoping to be boosting Friday night. Got buddy coming over to weld up my charge pipes. We have a deal, he provides the aluminum Tig welding and I provide beer and shitty Steven Seagal movies.

MarX, unstpible[OP] and GoJo like this.
  3. May 18, 2023 at 6:42 AM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    They worked well there too, I had to go back and open up my core support cuts to gain more flexibility with the intercooler piping. Especially passenger side work all the credo there

MarX likes this.
  4. May 18, 2023 at 6:46 AM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Sounds like a damn good Friday night!

Through this process it has crossed my mind more than a few times that I need to learn tig. Would have made some things bit easier.

I'm all mounted and plumbed. Oil feed and drain working, so just have exhaust left before start! Diff, ball joints, and gauges before drive though which will hopefully all be done for a test drive Sunday!

MarX and unstpible[OP] like this.
  5. May 18, 2023 at 6:54 AM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Related. What's the typical turbo break in process before getting into regular boost driving?

My plan was:
    1. Pre oil turbo
    2. Start, let idle till warm for good while, 20 minutes? :notsure: check for leaks during this time
    3. Go test drive, read try staying out of boost for first 100-200 miles, but seemed more a suggestion than a rule.

MarX likes this.
  6. May 18, 2023 at 6:56 AM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    Vehicle:
    I've done a mod or two
    I turn off the injectors and crank until I have oil coming out the feed line, hook line back to turbo, turn injectors back on, fire up an idle until warm, then you're pretty much good.

Wulf, MarX and unstpible[OP] like this.
  7. May 18, 2023 at 7:02 AM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Nice, yea pretty much what I did last night so the turbo has oil through it a couple times now, will do it again just before start and then fire it up! Getting so close, not looking forward to wrestling the diff back up in there... was a bitch coming out

MarX and unstpible[OP] like this.
  8. May 18, 2023 at 7:03 AM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    Vehicle:
    I've done a mod or two
    Yeah it's unpleasant, I had to do it twice and I almost dropped it on my face the second time.

Wulf likes this.
  9. May 18, 2023 at 8:14 AM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Yea, pulling it out got hung up on the vacuum lines and when they finally let go took it right to the ribs

unstpible[OP] likes this.
  10. May 18, 2023 at 10:58 AM
    unstpible

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    CX Racing Turbo kit TransGo shift kit All Pro Apex bumper and skids Smittybilt XRC 9.5 winch All Pro Upper control arm's Bilstein 6112's with 600lb coils Eimkeith's lower control arm reinforcement plates with Perry Parts bump stops All Pro spindle gussets and alignment cam tabs All Pro standard 3" leaf springs Bilstein 5125's rear Extended rear brake line Rear diff breather relocation MagnaFlow catback with resonator Bluetooth stereo Memphis 6x9 door speakers with tweeters Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Amber fog lights Single piece headlights aftermarket grille Anzo taillights LED 3rd brake light 4runner sunglass holder and dome lights Master Tailgaters rear view mirror with 3 directional cameras, G shock sensors, and anti theft system Honda windshield washer nozzles Stubby antenna Scan Guage II 2nd Gen Snowflake wheels powder coated black Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 235-75/16 Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Speedytech7's big wire harness upgrade Aeromotive 340 fuel pump
    I had bruises all up and down my thighs and hips from getting that dif back in, definitely a heavy and uncooperative SOB

11. May 18, 2023 at 11:00 AM
    unstpible

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    On the thought of turbo break in/ start up I was thinking some motorKote would be helpful in the turbo for extra friction protection

MarX and GoJo like this.
  12. May 18, 2023 at 11:07 AM
    unstpible

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully the only other time I need to drop the front diff will be for a front locker

MarX likes this.
  13. May 28, 2023 at 11:58 PM
    unstpible

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    Went fishing today and took a few "short cuts" on the way home.
    IMG_20230528_200949.jpg
    We stopped to check out some flowers a few times and then ended up driving through a sea of Globe Mollows, more than I have ever seen. The desert plants are definitely happy with the moisture we received over winter.
    IMG_20230528_202357.jpg

There's a trail marker in my current profile picture and going down that very same trail was a very different experience this evening. We spotted a few pronghorn silhouetted in the orange glow of the setting sun as they fled from the strangers invading their lazy valley of orange blossoms that drowned out the typical sage brush seanery. A great day to leave the good camera at home :rolleyes:
    We got about 2 blocks away from the house when I realized I left the camera. Even had a couple bald eagles looking at me from my fishing spot no doubt wondering why I hadn't taken their photo, that or just mocking me because I couldn't find any fish

Wulf, MarX and GoJo like this.
  14. May 31, 2023 at 10:30 PM
    unstpible

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    Leaky drivers side Output shaft seal has been replaced.
    IMG_20230531_193355.jpg

MarX and GoJo like this.
  15. May 31, 2023 at 10:40 PM
    unstpible

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    The passenger side turbo manifold has also been left with a local handyman who has experience as a machinist for a little TLC. :fingerscrossed: let's hope they come back better than they left.

MarX and GoJo like this.
  16. Jun 1, 2023 at 8:02 AM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah
    Almost time for tear down of old parts and start putting on new ones?

unstpible[OP] and MarX like this.
  17. Jun 1, 2023 at 10:07 PM
    unstpible

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    it's mostly new parts coming off :bananadead: haha.

Sadly I probably wont be making any progress on the truck for the next two weeks.

I did get the manifold back today though
    IMG_20230601_204527.jpg
    there's still some imperfections but it does look a little better. the guy who did it said I could probably run it without a gasket but I'll definitely still be using the Toyota MLS gaskets. Speaking of, I'm not sure what gasket dressing (if any) I'll end up using. Here's what I've got on hand.
    IMG_20230601_215255.jpg
    Picture could probably be better:notsure:

MarX and GoJo[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Jun 1, 2023 at 10:10 PM
    unstpible

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    The diff isn't dripping gear oil anymore so that makes me happy.

MarX, GoJo and Wulf like this.
  19. Jun 2, 2023 at 7:55 AM
    GoJo

GoJo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Utah

I didn't use any dressing for what its worth, and probably wouldn't on the exhaust manifolds but I do have some of that stove top stuff for the turbo and wastegate flanges if needed at some point. I did have some leakage coming out of the v band clamps on the crossover pipe on initial start up but that is about it. I am going to source some S wrenches today to get on some of the lower exhaust bolts again just to sure them up if needed since I have been driving the truck all week, as well as my passenger side cross over clamp... I didn't have the forethought to align it in a nice position to reach with a socket..

unstpible[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  20. Jun 2, 2023 at 7:57 AM
    Speedytech7

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    Vehicle:
    I've done a mod or two
    unstpible[OP] likes this.