1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lockable rear under seat storage unit for 05-16 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ESP Truck Accessories, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Mar 29, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    Ohiophil

Ohiophil This space intentionally left blank

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma PreRunner
    Give me some money so I can fill in this info
    I've been begging them to take my money. Has not worked yet

2. Mar 29, 2016 at 7:46 PM
    Howen

Howen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR M/T black w/Leer 180
    Do the pretty girls come with it?

3. Mar 29, 2016 at 8:05 PM
    Doublecross

Doublecross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    New york
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    ARE cap, wade inchannel vent visors, weathertec floor mats, ranch hand grill guard, tuffy security boxes in bed, lockable tailgate handle. Still have stuff that needs to be installed and still have stuff ordered lol.
    Hummmmm i have tools in my plastic one i can imagine hearing the rattling and banging when im driving and hit a bump lol

4. Mar 30, 2016 at 12:26 AM
    Stu488

Stu488 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    TRD Pro 17' with 265/70/17 BFG KO2, blacked out grill and emblems, Toytec Boss 2.0 kit w/aal, relentless fabrication 8" bed bars, Insain fabrication front bumper with Warn M8000S winch, Factor 55 flat link, cmc, RCI metal works front and control arm skids, bottle opener.
    Why must you tease us?!?

5. Mar 30, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Does anyone else see locking everything when it's already inside the truck, encouragement for people to just steal the whole truck and worry about the locks later?

I guess I don't keep anything so valuable in my truck if people steal I couldn't get over it. It's just stuff.

6. Mar 30, 2016 at 8:15 AM
    Ohiophil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma PreRunner

I'm not a thief, so I really don't know but, I would guess that the common thief that is breaking into your truck to grab the contents isn't going to steal the truck.

tarbe likes this.
  7. Mar 30, 2016 at 8:40 AM
    Martimus

Martimus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    'neath a cactus
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5
    Here's my confusion with regard to your question. How exactly does a thief know that there are locked boxes in the truck unless the thief has already seen/been in the truck?

In order for a thief to steal the contents of my locked box, they first need to break into my truck. Second they'd need to either break into the locked box or steal the truck. Third, if they chose to steal the truck they'd next need to break into the locked box to gain access to its contents. Fourth, they'd need to somehow sell or otherwise dispose of the truck. Most thieves are opportunists. Thieves take things that are quick, easy, and with minimal risk of getting caught. After all, it's not typically their goal to find themselves in jail for their actions.

It's my opinion that slowing the bad person down is the best way to reduce the risk of theft. In other words, the more impediments you place in their way the longer it takes for them to accomplish their goal. And time is not typically in their favor. As such the bad person will often move on to an easier target.

8. Mar 30, 2016 at 8:54 AM
    Stu488

Stu488 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    TRD Pro 17' with 265/70/17 BFG KO2, blacked out grill and emblems, Toytec Boss 2.0 kit w/aal, relentless fabrication 8" bed bars, Insain fabrication front bumper with Warn M8000S winch, Factor 55 flat link, cmc, RCI metal works front and control arm skids, bottle opener.
    What he said. I see it every day, thieves are opportunist. It takes no time to smash and grab for an exposed or easily accessible wallet or valuable, much longer to try to steal the whole vehicle. 99 percent of thieves would not bother with anything well locked and bolted down.

9. Mar 30, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    Leonard Smalls

Leonard Smalls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Gray Metallic TRD Sport 4X4
    And modern cars aren't that easy to steal. Especially with electronic proximity keys. Most car thieves go for older cars that are easy to get into and easy to start. As previously stated, time is of the essence for thieves.

10. Mar 30, 2016 at 9:38 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    You are correct. I guess I have a mentality of a thief. Locking everything up in my truck means it takes ME longer to gain access to what's inside, which annoys me enough not to lock things up. Like I said, I don't have anything in my truck an insurance policy won't replace.

11. Mar 30, 2016 at 10:27 AM
    GREENBIRD56

GREENBIRD56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Casper / Tucson
    Vehicle:
    014 Taco 4Dr 4wd
    I've never taken my factory plastic under-seat box out of the truck - but wow, it looks like there is a lot of space in there. Aside from the locking feature (for good or evil) I sure wish that more of the space in my outfit had been made easier to use. At least it looks like a bit more of the seat base is useable space.

12. Mar 30, 2016 at 11:18 AM
    FrontRoyalBob

FrontRoyalBob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Front Royal, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    New 2016 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
    ESP Lockable Rear Seat Storage, MobTown Lockable Bed Hatches, lots of cool Mobtown products (Rear Bumper, complete set of 1/4" steel skid plates, sliders), Old Man Suspension and a bunch of other practical off-road tools to bulletproof my truck...
    I, like many other people transport and store firearms (plus other value items) in vehicles (which in many cases is not convenient to take out of the vehicle and/or carry with you every time you stop or leave the vehicle for short periods of time) and need to secure them in a reasonably secure manner. This lockable under the seat box system will serve that purpose very well. Obviously slowing down or deterring a thief is the most important reason for something like this.

I'm just saying...

13. Mar 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM
    FrontRoyalBob

FrontRoyalBob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Front Royal, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    New 2016 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
    ESP Lockable Rear Seat Storage, MobTown Lockable Bed Hatches, lots of cool Mobtown products (Rear Bumper, complete set of 1/4" steel skid plates, sliders), Old Man Suspension and a bunch of other practical off-road tools to bulletproof my truck...
    As a side note:

I have acquired heavy black felt and 2 each 3/8" military foam sleeping pads that I will be cutting up and padding all of the interior of my under-the-seat storage unit; when they become available. This will ensure my expensive investments in firearm(s) do not get scratched or damaged from transport; and still be reasonably accessible for use as needed for defensive purposes or other ad hok uses.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    duece5811 and Howen like this.
  14. Mar 30, 2016 at 3:21 PM
    NVtude

NVtude Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Interested for sure

15. Mar 30, 2016 at 4:13 PM
    Ohiophil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma PreRunner
    I'm planning on a similar process. I think 1/8" rubber will work nicely with 2 part epoxy

duece5811 likes this.
  16. Apr 2, 2016 at 8:49 PM
    wsurunner

wsurunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica DCSB
    The dealer has my truck when I get it serviced. The car wash guys have access to my truck when they're washing it. Plenty of otherwise-endorsed opportunities for people to gain access to my stuff. I also had a thief break into a prior truck in my driveway - he wasn't going to steal the truck but he stole my coffee mug and dumped all the change from the ashtray into that mug.

All the in-vehicle vaults assume the thief either doesn't have the time to break into them or doesn't have the tools to do so. I'm willing to spend a few bucks on a Console Vault and store the entire contents of my glovebox in there to ensure my registration (with home address) doesn't get stolen and may also purchase this under-seat storage option to further secure my belongings. I share the same opinion as a few others on this thread about both the aesthetics and security of the hinges, and have overall concerns about the ease of circumventing the security of this product with a simple (short) pry bar.

Looking forward to hearing a few customer/field reviews. If you're in the San Diego area, please let me know as I may like to meet up with you and take a look.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  17. Apr 4, 2016 at 6:54 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    The inconvenience is just enough for me to not want lockable storage. When I take my truck into the shop or through a wash I'm not going to spend 20 minutes putting everything in the truck into the lockable storage. So for someone like me, I wouldn't use the storage if I had it, thus no purpose for it.

I wanted to put in lockable storage doors in the bed of my truck, but honestly the time it would suck up always having to unlock and lock two separate locks for the door just to get my bungees out is too much for me.
    The cost of the doors would amount to someone stealing my bungee cords out of it like 15 times haha.

18. Apr 4, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    But the first time you need your bungee cords, and they are not there, will make you wish you had lockable storage.

Norton likes this.
  19. Apr 4, 2016 at 7:26 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Look at my last statement. Lockable doors cost so much, if someone steals them one time, I really won't care.
    Steal it 16 times and I'll start to care.

20. Apr 4, 2016 at 7:29 AM
    Ohiophil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma PreRunner
    I agree with packCon about lockable bed storage. It's overkill for my needs. Paying $60-70 or whatever it is to lock up $5 worth of stuff is just plain silly to me.

But a $400 lockable storage area in the cab is right up my alley. tools and defensive items are expensive

duece5811 and TxStVanWilder like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top