1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long Crank, Hard Start

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Kredence, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    Kredence

Kredence [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '00 Runner
    I'm hoping I didn't simply overlook this in my searches.

My 2.4 has a tendency to need to crank over about 7-9 times before firing. Other times it makes it half a turn before coming alive.

I'm guessing this is an issue with low fuel pressure at the time of engine starting. Is there a check valve on the pump or anything I should know of?

The engine cranks fast as I'm using an Optima Red Top and 2g wires to supply power to the starter.

Any insight or pointing me to a thread where this has already been hashed out would be appreciated.

Justin

2. Oct 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Start with the obvious and easy shit: Run it by your local auto parts store and have the battery, alt, starter tested. If that all checks out normal, you're probably facing an issue with the fuel system or valvetrain.

3. Oct 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    Kredence

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '00 Runner
    I stated that part already. The cranking speed is more than optimal. I've owned 7 Toyotas and rebuilt the engines on 4 (almost five when I finish my last Runner). I know what a slow crank sounds like. I don't have a gauge to test pressure with. Wires and plugs are good. Plugs all show identical carboning. She runs like a champ. Just has a delayed start some times.

davidstacoma likes this.
  4. Oct 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Might be your crankshaft position censor. Long crank is a symptom of this part going out.

5. Oct 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    Kredence

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '00 Runner
    I'll have to dig up the FSM. Didn't think of the Crank shaft sensor being an issue.

I'm trying to borrow a friends fuel pressure gauge so I can see if the rail is bleeding down after shutoff.

Thanks for the input so far!

6. Feb 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    Was this issue ever figured out? My truck had a very hard time starting this morning. I turned the key and all I heard was a click. Took about 10 seconds to actually get the thing started. My voltage is sitting at an average of 13.4. I havent had a chance to get the starter or alternator checked out.

7. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    Kredence

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '00 Runner
    I'm suffering from a bad check valve on the fuel pump. I've since installed a fuel pressure gauge and the fuel rail pressure bleeds off after the ignition is turned off.

It sounds like you may have a bad starter or bad grounding wire.

8. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    Slycoma

Slycoma Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma
    I have a 2010 with 5500 miles and it took 7 or 8 times this morning before it would start. Not impressed. First Toyota I have ever had a problem with.

9. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    Kredence

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '00 Runner
    Doesn't work on this one. The truck doesn't prime the rail until it gets a crank signal.

I know exactly what your talking about though. I do that on my honda civic.

10. Dec 20, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    Reviving an old thread here.

OP did the check valve replace fix your problem? i think i may be having the same problem on my 98 V6. It has a long crank initially, but if i turned off the engine then started it again within 2 or 3 minutes, then it starts up right away.

Do you have a part number for the check valve or did you end up replacing the entire fuel pump?

11. Aug 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM
    Horsewithnoname

Horsewithnoname New Member

Member:
    Upper left corner
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma 2.7
    Did this ever get fixed? I'm having the problem with the fuel bleeding off. What I've done so far, After driving for about 20 minutes I took a pair of needle nose vise grips and pinched the fuel line at the regulator. Let it sit then removed the pliers and started it. I did this three times, once for an hour, two hours, and overnight. All three times it fired up immediately. So that removes my theory of the stuck open injector. Now I just have to figure out where it bleeding off at. Somewhere between the regulator and the pump. Any ideas? The motor is a fresh complete rebuild with about 750 miles and a new head. And 4 new toyota injectors.

12. Aug 15, 2014 at 1:35 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I have the same issue. I'm guessing fuel bleed off is my problem as well...

13. Aug 6, 2018 at 6:56 PM
    x2daG

x2daG New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Single Cab 4wd
    I finally gave into the forums. I have been working on a similar issue on my 2003 Tacoma. Any updates or clues? I have no codes, and have singled out all obvious issues with electrical and fuel - about to change the fuel regulator. A mechanic changed the fuel filter and it worked like a charm for about six months until a bad 02 sensor and p0402 which btw it was the EGR switching valve. Changed the 02 sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump, ran injector cleaner, cleaned throttle body, MAF, all good and new and no codes. Thinking about the IAC and Throttle position sensor after the fuel regulator. Any hints? My truck has 250,000mi and will crank nice and long until by some random chance it starts. That mostly happens when cold, but recently happening at random. Sometimes it will fire right up, so no pattern.

14. Sep 10, 2018 at 4:28 PM
    nathantrose

nathantrose New Member

Member:
    Sounds like many of us have had this problem. Mine first did it about 6 months ago. Took it to the dealer and they were not sure of the problem. They noticed that I was leaking a little radiator fluid. As I was leaving one of the techs said it might be a coolant sensor not letting it start until there was coolant in it. I changed the radiator and WALA! it worked. No more starting problems until just last week. They came back. Now radiator and coolant are fine but at random it takes a long crank time to start. It always starts and runs great, but it sometimes takes 5 to 8 seconds of crank to get going. Let's figure this bad boy out. I really don't want to drop my tank and put in a new fuel pump, but if it solves my problem I will.

15. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:54 PM
    x2daG

x2daG New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Single Cab 4wd
    Do not drop your tank just yet. I already changed fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator nothing. I have been reading a lot of different things but ruling out stuff based on changes I have made I think you may be on to something. I hear the IAC is a possible culprit which will match the slight fix when you changed the radiator and hose. Has anyone tried that? I may try replacing or cleaning the IAC...

16. Jan 13, 2019 at 2:43 PM
    x2daG

x2daG New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Single Cab 4wd
    FYI - Update: IAC is not the issue. I have changed MAF as well. Changing the Coolant temp sensor today. Will keep you posted.

17. Jan 20, 2019 at 10:07 PM
    X-driver21

X-driver21 New Member

Member:
    Any updates on this? My 06 x runner seems to have the same issue. Already replaced fuel pump and plugs. Here’s a link to what it does:
    https://youtu.be/ufTWvHOP0sU

18. Jan 20, 2019 at 10:11 PM
    Nomad_Pilot

Nomad_Pilot I need to pewp

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    o_Oo_Oo_O

19. Feb 17, 2019 at 12:35 AM
    Fiesta346

Fiesta346 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra rock warrior
    I’m having the same issue ran the tests everything checked out. Struggling to start after sitting for long periods of time. Battery test showed it was slightly low but nothing shocking don’t want to replace battery if that’s in fact not the issue

20. Feb 17, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    X-driver21

X-driver21 New Member

Member:
    I found one of my injectors were leaking. Replaced that particular one and it has much better crank time. I do not think it is where it should be, but better nonetheless. You may want to try to run some injector/fuel system cleaner through a couple tanks of fuel and see if it helps any before diving further.

Fiesta346 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top