1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long Crank, Hard Start

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Kredence, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Feb 18, 2019 at 5:27 AM
    Fiesta346

Fiesta346 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra rock warrior
    changed the plugs yesterday helped drastically starting the truck and driving.

2. Jan 12, 2021 at 6:35 PM
    O1BabyYoda

O1BabyYoda Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 4x4 manual
    My custom headache rack, 2-in old man emu lift kit, air raid intake tube, deck plate mod my way, performance air filter, e-locker mod, custom shifters
    I'm having the same issue with my 2001 tacoma I have clutch start cancel and it won't start with clutch anymore even tho clutch is bran new and even when I press that button takes forever to start like 3-5 trust till it goes then fine once warmed up

Anyone know what this hard start/ hard crank problem fix is ??

3. Feb 13, 2021 at 11:35 PM
    YotaOregon33

YotaOregon33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma Limited Sr5 TRD Trail Double Cab
    Same issue on my 3.4L 04 Taco. Intermittent hard start/long crank/no start, whatever you want to call it. I've taken it to two mechanics and both couldn't recreate the issue so they didn't feel right recommending repairs. From research done on forums, I'm thinking it has to be low fuel pressure. Either injectors, Regulator, or check valve. I've also seen a possibility of it being a Coolant Temp Sensor but typically that will throw codes, and like many of you, I have no codes. My hard starts usually happen after it's been sitting for 30 minutes to an hour after driving. I'm thinking about getting a pressure gauge next but I'm at my wit's end and I really don't want to throw money into new injectors or a fuel pump if they aren't the issue!

O1BabyYoda likes this.
  4. Feb 13, 2021 at 11:47 PM
    YotaOregon33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    For those interested. Sound familiar?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Tacomaqueen likes this.
  5. Feb 14, 2021 at 7:01 PM
    O1BabyYoda

O1BabyYoda Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    My custom headache rack, 2-in old man emu lift kit, air raid intake tube, deck plate mod my way, performance air filter, e-locker mod, custom shifters
    mine really acts up in the winter good battery and everything, just acts like it doesn't want to start
    takes like 5 tries in cold sometimes

6. Feb 15, 2021 at 1:46 PM
    YotaOregon33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Interesting. I upgraded my battery to have more cold crank amps, not sure if that's helped or not with starting in colder weather, but maybe look into that? My pickup likes the cold weather. My problem is engine starts in a warm engine condition about 30mins to an hour or so after running. My guess is fuel pressure bleed but we will see. It sucks. Considering throwing money at injectors and pump but that gets spendy very fast

7. Feb 17, 2021 at 9:11 AM
    O1BabyYoda

O1BabyYoda Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    mine runs great right now winter is over lol .... its just when its cold outside
    weirdest thing

8. Feb 17, 2021 at 3:28 PM
    YotaOregon33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's interesting.. but at least it's "fixed" and it didn't cost you any money lol

9. Dec 27, 2021 at 9:11 PM
    Demoss

Demoss New Member

Member:
    You guys never solved this? Mines only starts on warm days, had a clogged fuel injector. So changed out everything, fuel pump ,fuel filter pressure regulator, cleaned MAF new EGR new relays and fuses, still won't start on cold days. Even with starting fluid. If it is warm and dry it will start and run for the entire day. Then next day it won't start. So I would let it sit for a couple days, then on a warm day one turn of key and it runs. I was reading if you turn key to on position all lights come on, oil, battery, check engine, but my check engine light does not come on and when I'm driving no check engine but when I scan I get 2 fault codes ignition 1 and ignition 2. Changed spark plugs and coil still same fault codes. I have a feeling something to do with starter or fuel pressure but if the weather warms up, and it runs night and day. Then what can be wrong?

10. Dec 28, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    YotaOregon33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Unfortunately your guess is as good as mine. I've spent more time and money than I'm proud to say on my intermittent start issue. My trusted mechanic had a 96 taco that he was working on with a similar issue, and he couldn't figure it out for either of us. He did say that under the fuse box some of the wires had gotten pretty worn on the other taco, thought that was fix, but they came back a couple weeks later because the issue came back. I'm not sure what it would be for cold start issues, mine is a hot start issue. I've had injectors cleaned, new plugs, wire set, I've checked for fuel pressure bleed, I replaced my fuel pump, replaced the battery with a higher cold crank rating, used fuel additives, replaced the fuel filter, checked the fuel pressure regulator, replaced my MAF, cleaned the throttle body multiple times, cleaned the intake plenums when I did the injectors, etc., I could keep going. I've seen some people put check valves in their gas line heading to the fuel rails so the fuel can't return when the truck is turned off (our trucks fuel lines pressurize on crank, not when the key is moved to "on" like other vehicles) but I didn't have any pressure bleed so that *shouldn't* be the issue. It bugs the hell out of me every time it happens, and I feel your pain. Fortunately I've never been left stranded or had to turn the key more than 3-5 times to get it to fire up. When you find a fix let me know :cheers:

ztwatson likes this.
  11. Dec 28, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    YotaOregon33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I also had a buddy recommend to check the ECM contact pins and components.

12. Dec 28, 2021 at 12:48 PM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    Clean the throttle body?

13. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:30 PM
    Demoss

Demoss New Member

Member:
    Thanks for reply, I like my car, only choice left is voodoo it back to normal. If I buy a new engine will that be wise choice or could it be something with the charcoal filter? I clean throttle body already with car and choke cleaner pulled it out and used a toothbrush. Even replace the seal. If the seal to throttle bottle worn out, is all other seals worn out too? Working in freezing cold weather sucks, I notice I am able to start it a 3 in afternoon when it is warm and it runs, but once it get 5 or 6 in evening I be having problems getting it to start. I have to hold the ignition to crank till it starts or turn on and off till it starts, takes like 2 mins of cranking. I'm a rookie, this my first time working on a car. I strip bolts and didn't know not to use an impact gun. I learned how to take out broken bolts now. I butchered the wiring harness to the fuel pump and had to order an original. But yeah, troubleshooting is a skill I pride in, cause I install cable. But this is not cables and internet.

14. Dec 28, 2021 at 7:59 PM
    YotaOregon33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It's all good, man. Everyone starts somewhere, and every expert started as a rookie. I'm definitely not as mechanically inclined as a lot of the people on here are. I pretty much watch a YouTube video on how to do a job, and I've learned from my mistakes to know whether it's something I can do myself or will have to pay a mechanic to do because it's more than I can handle. I remember working on my truck, needed some needle nose pliers but didn't have any at the time so I used what I had, pulled the wires from the coil pack that goes to the spark plug, so I essentially lost a cylinder and had to have my truck towed to be fixed And the first time I cleaned my throttle body I messed up my throttle position sensor so when I got it all put back together the idle was like 2500 RPM (should be around 700). You live and learn!

What year and model of truck do you have?

New engines are expensive, and I'm guessing you would have to pay to have the old one taken out and the new one installed which is going to be even more expensive because of the labor hours. I think it's probably best to find a mechanic you trust and take it to him for things that are outside of your comfort/skill level. Do tons of research, ask guys on here that have more knowledge for help, and you'll start to pick up one how things work, how they work together, etc, and you'll be able to troubleshoot a little more effectively. In short, repairing and fixing what you have is generally cheaper than buying another vehicle, and sometimes it's cheaper to go to a mechanic and have them diagnose and repair what's wrong than it is to throw parts at an issue because you don't have the knowledge, or try to fix something outside of your skill level and end up making it worse, costing yourself even more money.

That's just my two cents!

15. Jan 2, 2022 at 10:35 PM
    YotaOregon33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Update: Cleaned the PCM and plugs/contacts -- no luck. Thinking about checking the wires that go to the fuse box next to see if any are loose, corroded, etc. I'm about to just accept my fate. It sounds like shit when it happens, and I hate it because I take care of my truck, but it's also 18 years old so :goingcrazy:

16. Jan 13, 2022 at 8:58 PM
    ztwatson

ztwatson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milwaukee, WI
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma TRD Xtra Cab
    Damn. Sounds like we have the same issue and you appear to have tried almost everything. F*ck!!

17. Jan 13, 2022 at 9:19 PM
    YotaOregon33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yep. At this point I'm waiting until it doesn't start at all to hopefully find the true fix but I'm at a loss. It sucks, man.

18. Nov 14, 2022 at 9:31 AM
    YotaOregon33

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I found this. According to the TSB repair process, at least if I’m reading it correctly, this wouldn’t be a fix unless you’re experiencing fuel pressure bleed off to 0. Posting it in case it helps.

Attached Files:

• TSB.pdf
      File size:
      207.3 KB
      Views:
    CalderFH likes this.
  19. Nov 15, 2022 at 1:49 AM
    CalderFH

CalderFH Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma Xtra Cab 2.4l 2rzfe
    So that service bulletin is for 04 model year only? I have 95.5 taco 2.4 that does this and also has small misfires for the first hour or so of the day, sometimes longer. It's thrown a p0302 once, but only once. I've done all the above except tps, camshaft position sensor, iac. Hesitation when I romp on the gas. The throttle body was super bad when I got the truck a few months ago, the butterfly valve would stick and make the accelerator pedal feel stuck for a sec til I cleaned it. Maybe some of the residual crud made its way to injector? Listened with mechanics stethoscope, injectors all sound good, compression is between 175 and 180 psi on all 4 cylinders. Hella lame when I want to smoke em off and I get a bog down sound before the power hits. I can provide list of what's been done if anyone is interested.

20. Nov 15, 2022 at 2:51 PM
    YotaOregon33

Member:
    Vehicle:

Sound familiar?

Tacomaqueen likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top