1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long-term Costs (AT vs MT)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nucks4TheCup, May 4, 2011.

1. May 4, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    Nucks4TheCup

Nucks4TheCup [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi TW! :D

I've been reading the forums for a month or so and finally decided to sign up.

I am currently seeking an 05-08 4x4 DC Taco.

Would like some input on what would cost more long-term in regards to repairs/maintenance and fuel costs.

Do manual tacomas cost less to repair?

I've been reading and it seems like the consensus is that autos are now cheaper on gas which surprises me, is this true?

Thanks!

2. May 4, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Yea, autos are a tad bit better on gas, mostly because the gearing is higher, so in a manual you go over 2k RPMs at 60 MPH, where the auto wouldn't... plus they shift fast as balls.

3. May 5, 2011 at 12:04 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    It's a crapshoot. Yes the autos generally get better gas mileage. The 6-speed sucks at the top and bottom ends. That is if you drive a lot of stop & go the manual gets bad mileage. And if you do a lot of over 65mph, the manual gets bad mileage. But between 25-65 is the manual's sweet spot, and if you do a lot of rural driving, the manual does as well as, and in some cases better than the auto on mileage. You just have to shift early to keep those RPMs down.

As for maintenance, theoretically if the auto goes out, it will cost much more than the manual to repair / replace. That being said, thus far it's the 6-speeds that have been having problems, and if you buy out of warranty (5yr/60k powertrain) the cost to repair things like the throwout bearing or clutch components will be on you.

So far there haven't really been any problems with the autos reported ... been around since 2003 in the 4Runner, and still going very strong. The only problem I've heard of as of late is some FJ Cruisers have been experiencing problems with the lockup torque converters in the auto, though I'm not sure why it's just them (haven't heard of any other significant problems / problem groups).

You should flush the auto at 60k miles, and because it's a sealed unit, you should have the dealer do it. That'll set you back a couple hundred. With the manual, it's easy to drain and change your own fluid.

One word of caution - if you do go with a 6-speed, I'd avoid 05's and maybe 06's. There were a number of issues with syncros in the early years 6-speed that caused the trannys to grenade, requiring full replacement. Guys who have had this problem report that Toyota has updated the 6-speed twice since then (in 2007 and 2009).

4. May 5, 2011 at 12:31 AM
    Nucks4TheCup

Nucks4TheCup [OP] Member

Member:
    ^

Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking what did you get and why?

5. May 5, 2011 at 3:55 AM
    xxaarraa

xxaarraa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get the auto.

6. May 5, 2011 at 4:09 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    If you do get the manual... get the URD short shifter... it is awesome.

7. May 5, 2011 at 4:12 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    At first I thought this was gonna be about tires.. :mad:

I've got the auto, but I drive it like a manual. Guess that will just increase my chances of anything happening to it.. If anything does though I can rebuild it on my own and from the sounds of it parts will be fairly available.

8. May 5, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.

You talking with Tacoma's or in general? I always thought that typically (all MT vs AT talk for all vehicles) that MT's got better milage. Tacomas are different cause the AT is a 6sp like the MT....right?

Anyone touch on clutches vs tranny flushes?

Tranny flushes are something like $80-100 I'd guess nowa days...been a few years since I had an AT. MT's will require clutches once in a while at probably $700-800. MT's you only change the fluid in it when you change the clutch. AT's you do a flush and fluid change more frequently.

I've owned as many AT's as MT's (always bought used) and I've done way more tranny flushes for AT's than clutches on MT's

9. May 5, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the V6 AT is a 5sp, not 6sp. the MT gets worse highway mileage b/c of the gear ratios in the MT. the AT on these calls for a flush every 60k miles. coming up on my first one now.

10. May 5, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    Sorry, yah I meant 5 spd. What's the MT then? is it still 6sp? My dealer told me they were the same.

11. May 5, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Interesting...that's the first I've heard of this.

12. May 5, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    V6 has a 5sp auto or 6sp manual
    i4 has a 4sp auto or 5sp maunal

IIRC

13. May 5, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Any transmission will last a very long time with proper maintenance. I am already seeing the v6 A/T 2nd gens with over 200k on the clock going strong.

Products Discussed in

To Top