1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long tube vs standard headers?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by extremachn1, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Nov 27, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Hey all,
    I have a question for you guys. I am curious what the main advantage of long tube headers over standard length aftermarket headers is?

Currently I have a 2010 DCSB TRD Sport 6spd, I am running a AFE CAI, TRD Supercharger, URD S/C 2.85" underdrive pulley, and cat-back exhaust. I am wondering if I will see any performance gains with some regular length headers like http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=93_120&products_id=1260518546? I dont really want to go with LT headers because you have to go with a Y pipe and the C02 sensor bypass, and they are a pain to install.

Also, with standard length headers the Cats bolt right up correct? Do high flow cats give any performance gains?
    Any opinions and experiance with standard length and LT headers would be great. I appreciate it. Thanks

2. Nov 27, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    I think the shorties require welding.

Dumb question, does anyone know if the TRD S/C and breathing mods work well together? I would 'think' so, but thought I read that the TRD unit didn't respond well to headers, exhaust, etc...

3. Nov 27, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    Screw the cats... cut 'em out? :D Well, most people can't, thanks to emissions laws.. bullshit.

Long tube headers give you more torque & low-end response... shorties I believe are more for high-end performance (or so one would think.. ) I don't think they even make shorties for 1st gens, like mine. :) I still think you may require some welding any which way you go, if you can get a hold of Gadget or someone of the like, they should be able to better answer.

As for "high flow" cats.. I don't think they really exist... a catalytic converter can only really be designed one way, all the exhaust gases HAVE to pass through it, and if they make it less restrictive, then it just lets more "harmful" gases through, which in turn causes your truck to fail emissions. Believe someone here said, cut the muffler off and run straight pipe back after the cats.. gives better performance output without hurting the trucks ability to pass inspection.

4. Nov 27, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!

You have it backwards. Short tubes give more torque at lower rpms. Long tubes give more peak HP with a slight loss of torque at lower rpms.

I have had both.

If you are going S/C the long tubes will give you better peak hp. With the S/C you will not notice the loss in torque.

The long tubes are an easy install. Short tubes are a pain, unless you have welding capabilites.

Magnaflow makes high flow cats. I recently put a pain on an URD "Y" pipe.

The is the before & after dyno run after adding the high flow cats.

img008_546697fb3a38fc21d328125cc085696f9d4d7e5e.jpg

5. Nov 27, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    mortuusangelus

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    Whoops, ok my bad. I might actually have an S/C for my truck by next year. Things are changing around regarding my income.. I hope for the better so I can mod again. :D Think I'm going to just replace the entire exhaust, headers on back.. the OEM stuff is starting to corrode badly in spots... the muffler is toast, I've got a flowmaster 40 series waiting to go on, but if the pipes are as bad as I think they are, no point in attaching it.

6. Nov 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    if you have an intake, exhaust, supercharger, and chipped why would you wanna restrict it all with cats? cut em out and put the long tubes on there, they flow the exhaust better than the shorties (think of more time for it to merge on the highway before the different cylinders slam into each other). better performance gain. the only reason to run shorties is if you cant fit longs.

7. Nov 28, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Trust me, I would love to run some long tube headers then straight pipes back to some exhausts. No cats or anything but I have some issues I need to consider.
    1.) I need this thing to still be a semi-calm daily driver.
    2.) I want my torque down low as i use this to tow and go offroad, the engine is already peaky, I want to have to keep it 4000+ rpms to make my power.
    3.) I have smog & emissions I have to deal with.
    4.) I have warranty stuff that I dont want to deal with.

If I was going to do a full tune on the truck then yes, I would eventually go with LT headers, but at the moment I dont plan on it so... But after hearing you have to do some cutting/welding to fit regular headers I think I will pass on the headers for the time being. Thanks all.

8. Nov 28, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    As far as ur exhaust goes; if its already corroded you must live somewhere the elements are bad. In that case, get a stainless muffler and throw that flowmaster in the trash

9. Nov 28, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    mortuusangelus

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    Well the flowmaster was a fix for the muffler which has been holey for a while.. just never got to put it on. I'll probably eBay the damn thing and just have a full blown exhaust put on... dunno if I wanna deal with doing that in my driveway.. :D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top