1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at 08 Taco, anything I need to know?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by relyt, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Mar 18, 2011 at 3:31 AM
    relyt

relyt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sidney, OH
    Like the title says, I'm not an owner yet, but there is an 08 Taco on a lot not too far from me, and it doesn't look too bad IMO, but I have no real experience with them, so I was hoping that some of you seasoned owners could help me look for any specific problems that these trucks may be known for.

The truck in question is a regular cab 2.7L 5 speed 4x4. It's a relatively plain, no power truck, but it should suit my needs fine. My only concern is that the dealer website doesn't list A/C. I haven't driven the truck yet, so I don't know if it does or doesn't have it.

Is there anything specific I need to look for? It's only got 25k miles, so I don't think it's worn out yet, but that doesn't mean it hasn't lived a hard life. What is a truck like this actually worth in the real world? How much can you really do to the 2.7L trucks without losing all of the driveability? I'm coming from the world of Jeeps, so I'm used to having every possible gear ratio available if I were to change tire size, but I'm not sure what size ring and pinion the Tacomas use, so I'm not sure if there are as many out there to suit my needs. Thanks in advance for any information, and with any luck I'll be an owner right here with you within a few days.

2. Mar 18, 2011 at 3:44 AM
    qbert

qbert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Velocity Off-Road 3" front billet coil spacer lift, rear leveling block, aFe Pro Dry S air filter, Weathertech all-weather rubber floor mats, partially debadged/blacked out Tacoma badges, 5% tint all the way around
    I have an '08 V6 double cab 4x4 with long bed and I can't say a single bad thing about it. I love my truck. I just purchased it this week after leasing it for the last 3 years and that's saying a lot since I like being able to trade my vehicle in every 3 years for a brand new one. Now I get to start adding all the goodies to it since I won't be trading it in! I've rode my Tacoma HARD too and haven't had a single problem with it. I think you'll be more than happy with your purchase, but I would definately make sure it has AC. Hope this helps.

3. Mar 18, 2011 at 3:47 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    AC is standard so no worries there.

The 2.7L engine is a bullet proof engine. Just keep the oil changed and the coolant full.

I have an 09 with 21K on the clock and no problems. Mine is an extended cab 2WD not 4WD.

Other 08 owners will chime in today I am sure.

Products Discussed in

To Top