1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at a low mileage 98, a question of odometer tampering

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by howardc64, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Dec 25, 2008 at 4:47 PM
    howardc64

howardc64 [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm looking at a 98 extended cab 2WD SR5, 5speed with 32k miles. The car is one state over so I've not been able to see it yet. I did receive some of the maintenance records (oil changes etc..)

I have a couple of questions

- For such low miles, I'm obviously concerned about possible odometer tampering. Is there a easy way to disconnect odometer and reconnect it on this car? The records shows a 6 year span where only 4k miles were put on. When I did a few google research, it seems these cars feeds the speed info to various computers besides the speedometer. ABS (not sure this car has one) and cruise control won't work while disconnected. On new cars, the speed info can feed into the ECU so I would guess lots of bad things might happen if disconnected?

- I was told the reason for 4k miles in 6 years is due to the original owner (a grandfather passing away) while the truck stayed the family. I was able to confirm this.

- If it is easy to tamper such as disconnecting the odometer cable from the transmission. Is there any easy telltale signs (Other than condition of the engine/drive train doesn't match the mileage)

- You guys have any concerns with this vehicle driven only 4k miles in 6 years? I suppose if it got started and driven a little every month or two, it would have been fine.

Thanks for any advice in advance guys.

2. Dec 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    Og Neon

Og Neon Member

Member:
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I think it will be alright, just give it a good look over and test drive before you walk away with it. I would think it to be to much work for the owner to unhook the odometer. Some folks just don't drive a lot. Do a carfax report and see what it says as well. If you don't have an account...PM me. I have one till 3 jan.

3. Dec 25, 2008 at 7:12 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I looked at a YJ a few months ago that only had 18K miles. Original owner/engine/everything, some people just don't drive much. Especially if they have several vehicles.

4. Dec 25, 2008 at 7:57 PM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    Make sure you take a good look at the pedals and steering wheel, in my experience people who tamper with odometers they overlook the small details. An excessively worn clutch and or brake pedal along with a worn steering wheel is a dead giveaway that vehicle has more mileage than the odometer is showing. I have seen this on numerous vehicles while on the job. Good luck with the purchase.

5. Dec 25, 2008 at 8:07 PM
    howardc64

howardc64 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey thanks a ton for the quick response guys. I think this one is pretty legit from everything I've learned from the owner and carfax (Thanks Og) and good points on checking the steering+pedals :)

6. Dec 25, 2008 at 9:42 PM
    Og Neon

Og Neon Member

Member:
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    No prob man...just make sure you post pictures of it when you get it :)

Products Discussed in

To Top