1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at a used Bass boat tomorrow, what to watch for?

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by krafty11, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    krafty11

krafty11 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Chicago area
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB T|X Pro
    Tube Steps, BAK F1, 4WD light, Pop&Lock
    I'm looking at a 96 Charger 173T with a 112 Evinrude tomorrow, what should I look out for besides soft floors and decks?

2. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Make sure that it has been cover or garaged at all time. Make sure the boat is clean. If someone took the time to clean it then they took the time to take care of it. I dont know much about outboards but overall if the boat is clean w/ no scatches and has been covered you can probably guess the person also took car of the motor.

3. Apr 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    krafty11

krafty11 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Chicago area
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB T|X Pro
    Tube Steps, BAK F1, 4WD light, Pop&Lock
    Good points, thanks. My wife works with the lady who's selling it (husband passed away last year) but I'm still a little leery. On the other hand a regular bass boat would be a pleasure to fish off of compared to my Craigcat or kayak :D

4. Apr 29, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    If it has been sitting a while and wasn't winterized you could have yourself a problem. If the gas wasn't stabalized the carb/fuel injection could be gunked up. That and in my boat you must run antifreeze thru the motor so it doesn't crack the block in the winter I'm not sure if thats the same in an outboard. And yes a bass boat would be so much easier to fish off of. I guess it would all depend on how much she wanted, how old it is, the condition, and if you can get it to start or not. GL

5. May 11, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    Outboards dont need to be winterized. All the water runs out of them after shutoff. I/O hold water therefore need winterization. As far as the gas just syphon it all out with the primer bulb or get an inline fuel pump to drain it. First thing to do on an evinrude is remove the carbs and clean them like you have never cleaned before. These motors are the worlds worst about getting one small piece of dirt and scorching pistons. Keep them clean it will last forever. The next step is remove the oil injection system if it has one. Mix your own fuel so you know its right and don't lose oil mixture without knowing it.

Products Discussed in

To Top