1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at the CBI Front Bumper With Short Center Grill Guard for 3rd Gen Tacoma

Discussion in 'Armor' started by JandAOffRoad, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Aug 12, 2018 at 8:54 PM
    JandAOffRoad

JandAOffRoad [OP] Nothing To Report Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road, Cement. Name is "Jenna"
    Tinted Windows BFG KO2s (285/70R17) (graphite with matte black studs). New Tires! Only 5,000 miles on them. 17" Fuel Anza Wheels (Gun Metal and Black) Removed chrome badges and replaced with black matte badges EyeCatcher TACOMA accessory lettering on tailgate Snugtop Rebel shell with windoors and LED lighting package C4Fab full guard front bumper C4Fab low profile rear bumper 20" CaliRaised LED Light bar in bumper Baja Design Amber fog lights Front Runner Slimline II rack on shell Front Runner 1.4mm awning on passenger side Smittybilt onboard air compressor in cargo box in bed of truck (Expedition Accessories) Misc. storage dividers in glovebox and center console CaliRaised LED ditch lights CaliRaised LED 20W rear pod lights Molle system in bed of truck 2" lift with rebuilt leaf springs (added a leaf) and went with the Bilstein shocks
    I'm looking at purchasing the
    T3 Front Bumper with Short Center Grill Guard from CBI for my 2018 Tacoma.

Anybody have feedback to offer before placing this order.

We were also looking at the ADD Honeybadger front bumper.

Thoughts please.

Thank you.

2. Aug 22, 2018 at 6:25 PM
    flan2504

flan2504 Active Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    No experience with ADD, but I went with the CBI T3 after reading through @Danactive's write up and installation. I also own a 3G MGM and aestecially and functionally, it seemed to 'foot the bill' on what I was looking for. They also offered an aluminum version which was a huge selling point during the time I ordered.

It took about 8 weeks to receive and I managed to install by myself. One thing to keep in mind, make sure to let CBI know if you're running any type of aftermarket front suspension. They include special mounting brackets for most reserve reservoir coil-overs. Recommend a phone order versus online so you can provide them specifics of your rig. I failed to do this and ended up having to modify my swaybar relocation brackets for my Kings. Didn't realize that CBI makes a version for my setup until after I received the bumper. My solution wasn't the prettiest, but it works.

Another consideration is the mounting of a winch. I'm not a 100% certain, but I don't think you can mount a winch with a solenoid on top. The way the bumper is fabricated you'll need a system that allows you to relocated the solenoid. I personally run a smitty XRC 9.5 and had to fab a separate mounting system for the control.

I haven't smashed into a deer or tree yet, but pretty confident the bumper will hold up fine. It's rock solid and comes with some very robust mounting hardware. I ordered the powder coated version and still have no chips, nicks, scratches or rust spots. Anyway, no complaints on my end.

Danactive likes this.
  3. Aug 22, 2018 at 6:34 PM
    henryrose

henryrose Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB Black
    I have that CBI bumper. It took about twelve weeks between the time I ordered it and when it was delivered. The folks who did the install had a hell of a time getting the winch to fit, ended up having to fab some parts.

6 months later I’ve been happy with it. Between the bumper and the winch I definitely had to do suspension upgrades to maintain handling characteristics and ride height.

4. Sep 6, 2018 at 9:40 PM
    JandAOffRoad

JandAOffRoad [OP] Nothing To Report Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road, Cement. Name is "Jenna"
    Tinted Windows BFG KO2s (285/70R17) (graphite with matte black studs). New Tires! Only 5,000 miles on them. 17" Fuel Anza Wheels (Gun Metal and Black) Removed chrome badges and replaced with black matte badges EyeCatcher TACOMA accessory lettering on tailgate Snugtop Rebel shell with windoors and LED lighting package C4Fab full guard front bumper C4Fab low profile rear bumper 20" CaliRaised LED Light bar in bumper Baja Design Amber fog lights Front Runner Slimline II rack on shell Front Runner 1.4mm awning on passenger side Smittybilt onboard air compressor in cargo box in bed of truck (Expedition Accessories) Misc. storage dividers in glovebox and center console CaliRaised LED ditch lights CaliRaised LED 20W rear pod lights Molle system in bed of truck 2" lift with rebuilt leaf springs (added a leaf) and went with the Bilstein shocks
    Thanks...Decided against the CBI and went with the C4 FAB Full Guard front grill and a C4 FAB rear bumper. No bumper cut with the C4 FAB and added the Baja Squadron fog lights (amber). Only 4 week delivery time and then a week for powder coating.

5. Sep 8, 2018 at 5:35 PM
    Danactive

Danactive Instagram: xxdanactivexx

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Check Out My Build Thread :)
    glad my thread was helpful and seems to be helping a lot of people make the final decision on whether or not the T3 is for them... all of the reasons and then some that you listed were my reasoning for going with them!

Products Discussed in

To Top