1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for 4wd conversion parts in Springfield, MO area

Discussion in 'Mid West' started by Natenite, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Jan 29, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    Natenite

Natenite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Springfield Mo
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4d TRD Radiant Red
    I’m getting desperate here. Been trying to figure out the 4wd conversion stuff and I’m at the point where I need help finding the right parts. I’m having a hard time matching terminology. I get lists from the forum here that are awesome but when I go to search the salvage yards the terms don’t match. Also needing to make sure it’s compatible with a 2003. I just don’t have enough knowledge. I think I have a shot of doing the actual work once I have the parts but I’m at my wits end here on trying to find the parts.
    Is there anyone in the Southwest mo area that would be willing to lend me a hand in finding the parts? I’ll buy them, I’ll go pick them up, I’ll do it all but I need help making sure I get the right parts. I could even try to pay you something for your time if it’s reasonable. Know any Toyota clubs or enthusiasts that would I be willing to help? I’ll take any help I can get. Thanks!

mcharfauros likes this.
  2. Jan 30, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    Tacman19

Tacman19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    As many as I can fabricate
    Have you talked to LKQ over in the industrial park? Those guys are really good at what they do. They are owned by Keystone and the name is on the side of the building. I think it's the first left. I've done cars and trucks since 2003, have 2 ASE certs and I would not attempt what you are doing.. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
    Zim

3. Jan 30, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    Natenite

Member:
    Springfield Mo
    Vehicle:

thanks for your thoughts. I’m surprised at them. The people that have done it all day it’s quite easy (relatively speaking). I’ll reach out the LKQ and just see what they say. Thanks!

4. Jan 31, 2020 at 10:41 AM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    309km east of Hazard ...the good life
    Vehicle:
    '97 black SR5 0g ~ MT @ 176k ...
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...
    @Kwikvette in CA is trying to do this conversion to his truck (i think)
    have you seen him around the TW?

LKQ is good that you do not pay for the product until you can inspect it (at least for me that was the case)

Tacman19 and Kwikvette like this.
  5. Jan 31, 2020 at 11:15 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    I haven't done the conversion yet, but currently I'm gathering parts for my own 4x4 conversion so I can offer what I've learned so far;

There are 2 types of transfer cases; 1 is a push button type (has a 4WD button on the left side of the knob to engage 4hi), and the other is the J-shift type, which requires manipulation of the lever to engage 4hi, neutral, and 4lo.

There are 2 axle types; one is the ADD system, which consists of an electronically actuated (or vacuum for early year models) setup on the differential tube to engage 4wd, and the other is the manual hub type which requires the manual turning of the hub on the wheel end to engage the axles and wheel hubs.

The easiest type is a j shift with manual hub setup, but the j shift with ADD setup isn't all that difficult as you just have to add a switch to engage the actuator.

Front differential is the same regardless of a manual hub setup or ADD; the difference is the tube that extends beyond the diff (which is easily replaced/swapped). What's important here, is matching the gear ratio to the gear ratio in your rear diff.

With that being said, what setup are you trying to go with?

The most difficult hurdle for you is the drive by wire setup you've got since your truck is an '03; you'll need to source a transmission from an '03 or '04. Or you can utilize your current transmission and have the output shaft replaced to mate it up to your transfer case.

@BartMaster1234 has performed the conversion
    @Area51Runner is in the process, but reads a lot more than I do so I'm sure he can add more than I have

6. Jan 31, 2020 at 11:20 AM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    A lot of people have converted their 2wd trucks into 4wd; it's a process of unbolting and swapping parts for our 1st gens.

I always encourage people to work on their vehicle; the more you get to know it, the quicker you're able to diagnose it if and when something is wrong. That and you can ensure things are done the right way because you're the one working on it.

7. Jan 31, 2020 at 11:22 AM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    309km east of Hazard ...the good life
    Vehicle:
    '97 black SR5 0g ~ MT @ 176k ...
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...
    i put an air filter in mine a couple of times and changed the top radiator hose!
    and currently cleaning off the frame and gently painting it proper is about all i have ever personally done ... very low maintenance other than routine
    changed a few scuff plate screws and wheel arch molding bolts too :)
    i will change the rear shocks myself when i get to it

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Kwikvette[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jan 31, 2020 at 11:24 AM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    You feel better about working on your truck though until the OCD kicks in and you're changing/replacing other stuff.

I constantly remind myself that even though my truck is a daily driver, it's also a trail truck so I get over all the dings, dents, and scratches it has.

Speaking of, I need to order up some FIPG to repair my leaking transmission pan again.

9. Jan 31, 2020 at 3:19 PM
    Natenite

Member:
    Springfield Mo
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info. I have read most if not all the write ups on here on the process which is why I think if I can get the correct parts I should be able to do it. My issue is absolutely in finding the right parts. Trying to understand the terminology from the lists on this site and translate that to what I find on salvage yard sites is a doozy. Im currently hunting for someone to just find the right parts and I will just buy it and either ship it or go pick it up.

10. Jan 31, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    Well as I mentioned in my post, you need to figure out what type of 4x4 setup you want.

You can't buy anything without knowing what you want.

11. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:17 PM
    Tacman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    So can you tell us the various 4x4 options available? He has a 03 I believe, so should be pretty simple right?
    Zim

12. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    You completely missed my post above, so I underlined the answer to your already asked question.

13. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    Tacman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    Yeah I kinda skipped over it after reading "I haven't done the conversion yet" I'm sure the OP will be able to use this information tho. Thanks for sharing.
    Zim

14. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:47 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    It's very simple as the most difficult part of the process is locating the parts one needs for their desired method of 4x4

I already have a front diff, diff tube, axles, spindles, and 2 sets of manual hubs.

All that's left is the transmission, interior center console, transfer case, and drive shafts.

I imagine handling a transmission and transfer case can be difficult but with a transmission jack and other various tools, the job can be made easy.

Natenite[OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 1, 2020 at 2:25 AM
    Natenite

Member:
    Springfield Mo
    Vehicle:

I was leaning towards just doing the simple manual hubs I shift conversion.
    So if I can utilize my existing transmission how do I go about getting the shaft replaced you mentioned? Is that another part I grab off another vehicle or is that something a transmission shop can do? That seems like it would save me a huge headache since my transmission runs perfectly and only has 165k miles on it.

As you started, finding the parts it difficult. For me it’s due to terminology. I’m wondering, could I locate new parts? Do they make all these parts new and I could just walk into oreilly or auto zone and order this stuff?
    I’m really going I can find someone locally that can just find me the part online and I’ll go get it or buy it or whatever. Have me feelers out to a few groups in hopes of it.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

16. Feb 1, 2020 at 5:08 AM
    Natenite

Member:
    Springfield Mo
    Vehicle:
    I just found this posting on an overlanding forum. Is this stuff good for my 2003 prerunner? Is it complete or kissing some stuff? Is the price fair?

17. Feb 1, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    Tacman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    Here's another contact for you in Springfield. C&M Gearworks over on Trafficway. They have done gears, transmissions, diff's for decades....not a few years, decades. (417) 862-4455

same for these guys;

C.A.T. over on 2525 E. Kearney....clutch, axle and transmission/transfer case...(417) 869-6016

Natenite[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  18. Feb 1, 2020 at 9:35 AM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    He's about 400 over on his asking price.

Who's to tell what condition those axles are, but the good thing is they're OEM

I'd rebuild the hubs too, which is cheap and easy to do.

The spindles are a direct replacement but I can't comment on the ABS thing; do your own research for that one.

As mentioned earlier, your transmission needs to be source from an 03 or 04.

Natenite[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  19. Feb 1, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    Tacman19

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Mid Missouri
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma SOLD
    Non ABS bothers me. Look I'm going to put this to ya no BS. If this were a 1978 Chevy truck we'd be done with this by now, and you'd be down in the Ozarks throwing mud, but it is not. There are a myriad of electronic issues that have to be considered, and ABS is just one of many. The PCM/ECU/TCM etc. all have hands in the game. The ABS wheel sensors may or may not have comm with the PCM/ECU or transmission control module, if it even has one. Most of this communication is based on ohms resistance which may or may not vary from year/model. Is your vehicle drive by wire or does it have a throttle cable. I have no idea. This forum has a quarter million plus members and this thread has 2 or 3 guys commenting. If it were easy, they other guy would be done, and you'd have pics, part numbers, phone numbers etc. Just being honest. Call those folks, but I always recommend going in person. Lots of dreamers out there in mom's basement with a cell phone and a laptop. I've talked to a bunch of them, like thousands...lol
    Zim

20. Feb 1, 2020 at 10:13 AM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    For someone that owns a 3rd gen, you spout off a lot as if you're familiar with a 1st gen.

If you scroll up, yet again, you'll see that I pointed out to the OP that he has a drive by wire setup. I also specified that this is specific to 2003 and 2004 models.

A lot of people have done the conversion, and many have posted part numbers countless time; there are even a few excel spread sheets and pictures of this spread sheet posted multiple times to include drain and fill plugs, and o rings and gaskets even.

The initial inquiry didn't specify what setup was desired until a few posts later.

It really is that easy, and the only reason why others haven't chimed in is because it's been done too often and the information is all there to read up on.

You have provided a few resources for the OP as far as mechanics go, that's good but a 4x4 conversion isn't as difficult as you're making it out to be.

The most difficult part is finding the desired parts without paying too much.

Products Discussed in

To Top