1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a headlight thatll give the truck a new look and get rid of the chrome!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BigMack, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Jul 22, 2020 at 8:55 PM
    BigMack

BigMack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mack
    Southern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pyrite Mica access cab TRD
    Hey all! I wanna start doing some cosmetic stuff to my ride. One of the first things I want to do is get rid of all the chrome. I bought a trd "TOYOTA" grille off Amazon from Cali Raised. From there I'm going to colour match the grille surround to pyrite mica. The emblems will be plasti dipped and the rear bumper bed lined.

So! All that being said we get to the headlights. This is the problem. I'm looking for something bright, black, legal, and something thatll give the truck a modern look. I have an idea from what I'll hear..

Why not the black headlight mod? That's nice and all but still stock. Yes you can get brighter bulbs and what not but if I can steer away from it, neat. If not. I'll have to do some deeper considering.

Why not retrofit? Well, it's pretty sweet and would love to do it. But theres the legality. I'm sure a lot of guys get away with it but I just dont want to be hassled by some cop trying to meet his quote. The roads I drive, theres a lot of cops sitting in the ditches at night so you never know who you'll go flying by. That and does anyone know a good supplier in Alberta? Gotta recommendation for a grand all done at the end of the day. Seemed a bit steep. I'm sure a few friends and a couple of beers with few choice words we could get it done ourselves. Does anyone know If the retrofit source ships up here? Or knows a good supplier in canada so I can skip out on some duties fees?

The last and probably most frowned upon are these bad boys https://www.carid.com/2013-toyota-t...-drl-bar-projector-headlights-1889279107.html I know the output is like a bic lighter in a snow storm but they look damn cool.

So I guess the question is. Does anyone have a Canadian recommendation for a headlight that looks good, is black, and available in southern alberta? I know it's a bit of a big ask, but I thought I'd see what's out there. Thanks in advance for all the recommendations folks!

2. Jul 22, 2020 at 10:10 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Do the retrofits at whatever cost. They are fantastic. Or, do @crashnburn80 s headlight mod. Id also recommend some good sae fogs like the diode dynamics ss3s. That combo alone would be tits

Island Cruiser and crashnburn80 like this.
  3. Jul 22, 2020 at 10:39 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    This triple combo simply does not exist for 2nd Gen, there are no exceptions. No off the shelf aftermarket housing is bright especially those that look different than stock, they all are significant down grades. And among the worst is Spyder (the brand you linked) not only are they not bright at all and a significant downgrade from stock, they are known to leak and have lens clouding from UV breakdown. Probably one of the most complained about brands for low quality and poor performance. But people like the look.

You can get smoked OEM chrome TRD assemblies that are darker than stock, but they still have the stock appearance. That or doing the BHLM (and risk leaks) are the best bets for 2nd Gen headlights if you want to remain legal and with good output. Both do not degrade performance unlike aftermarket housings.

Otherwise you have custom retrofits, which are also not legal, but if done well and in an area that doesn't have inspections should avoid any legal trouble. Many retrofits are poor quality, to do it right you'd want to use OEM grade D2S components such as Lexus RX350 projectors and avoid aftermarket china products like H1 based retros as no credible lighting manufacture makes H1 (halogen based) HIDs.

To take performance to the next level, or see the smoked chrome light comparison, check out the 2nd Gen headlight thread:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-ultimate-headlight-upgrade-h4-not-led-or-hid.398066/

If you don't care about performance, output, build quality or longevity, and instead favor cosmetics the Spyder units you link would work fine. But headlights are a critical safety item and that decision would be unwise if you drive when it is dark.

The SS3s mentioned above are outstanding fogs and the best on the market, though they shouldn't be used to replace headlight performance. You can see all the fogs compared here, with the Diode Dynamics SS3s linked at the top. (Highly recommended)
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/

4. Jul 23, 2020 at 7:25 AM
    BigMack

Member:
    First Name:
    Mack
    Southern Alberta
    Vehicle:
  5. Jul 23, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    gkomo

gkomo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    EDIT: I just checked, the link is to headlights that look identical to mine but are a different brand. I have Spyder or whatever brand, this link is for AKKON brand... so I can't comment on this brands quality.

Personal preference because I have them on my Tacoma, but I like these better:

https://www.amazon.com/444-TT12-LBDRL-VAR-Negro-black-Housing/dp/B0791TTLF2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2RCCUTMGT0QZR&dchild=1&keywords=spyder+headlights+toyota+tacoma&qid=1595522932&sprefix=spyder+headlights%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-5

I've been running them for about 3 years now with zero issues.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  6. Jul 23, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    Kyle Land

Kyle Land Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Charlotte area
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100 HS 2.5 Coil HS AAL SPC UCA SCS Ray 10s 17x8.5 Falken Wildpeaks 285/70/17
  7. Jul 23, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    Mason27

Mason27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD OR
    I have the DNA Motoring lights on my truck, was a little apprehensive of them due to the price but for $120 I figured it was worth a shot. Fitment wasn't perfect, but my truck has been hit on the front so it may be due to that. The light is sliiiightly more scattered than the OEM housing (looks like little shadows in the beam output), but is unnoticeable unless you're 5 feet from a wall. They look like a factory BHLM, but have the clear reflectors which I like more than the amber. Have had them on for 3 months, no leaks or issues yet.
    DSC_0244.jpg

8. Jul 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    gkomo

gkomo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    Again, personal preference but I think the lines of these headlights fit better with front fascia of the 2nd gen. I think the other similar ones that have the white lines wrap around the outside of the headlight look better on 3rd gens. Our front fascia's are more boxy than the 3rd gen so the lines (to me) flow better. I know a lot of people on here run the other ones and they look good so no hate on them but here's a pic for reference of the ones I have:

IMG_2077.jpg

BigMack[OP] and Mason27 like this.
  9. Jul 23, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    BigMack

Member:
    First Name:
    Mack
    Southern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Nice looking lights gkomo! Glad to hear about the quality. Are they running h1s or h4s? Mind posting some night shots? Curious to see how bright they are and to see the cutoff.

And if those dont work out I might just go for the bhlm.

10. Jul 23, 2020 at 11:24 AM
    gkomo

gkomo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    Ya i'll try to get a night shot tonight for you.

BigMack[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top