1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking for a new car. suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by 2wdSR52022, Feb 17, 2024.

1. Feb 17, 2024 at 11:06 PM
    2wdSR52022

2wdSR52022 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jc
    Vehicle:
    Expensive SR5
    Currently looking for a car for the wife under 30k. New. I'm test driving right now a subaru crostek, I've never had subarus. what do you think? it seems ok for the price of 28k msrp no markups. unfortunately toyotas in my area have 3k in markups and crap added that are pushing pretty much all toyota suvs out of my range. So in your opinion on Subaru, this one is made in Japan. I don't really want a used car...

jwctaco likes this.
  2. Feb 17, 2024 at 11:07 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corolla cross competes with the crosstrek.

The crosstreks have a fairly good reputation, but subaru as a whole doesnt, theyve had issues with boxer engines burning oil and cvt issues of recent years.

I'd say go for it, but maybe take a look at the corolla cross real quick. My friend bought his from my dealer and loves it.

3. Feb 17, 2024 at 11:10 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x

Different engine than the Crosstrek, but I am at 100K miles on my WRX without a single problem besides replacing the battery a couple times.

My parents have a Forester with the newer 2.5L, you can get that engine in the Crosstrek Sport and up I think. They are at over 70K miles with no issues.
    I am a fan of all their cars. Extremely capable, versatile, comfortable, and get good MPG for an AWD vehicle.

doublethebass and 2wdSR52022[OP] like this.
  4. Feb 17, 2024 at 11:32 PM
    2wdSR52022

Member:
    First Name:
    Jc
    Vehicle:
    Expensive SR5
    thanks, im looking at the 2,0 engine. If i go to the 2.5 it jumps in price quite a bit. the reason why I want to keep it within a moderate budget is because I want the wife to use it a couple of years then pass it to my son or my daughter. that was the original idea for the vw taos we purchased that drives like a dream but has been a nightmare to own. sooo many issues, will be trading that in. so its really important that its reliable unfortunately the toyota cross right now is really hit with the stupid extras and markups that the cheapest i could find was 31 which is 3-4 k over the xteck. and they are offering a decent amount for the vw and there is no extra charges...straight msrp with no bs. my toyota dealers are getting really greedy.

5. Feb 17, 2024 at 11:42 PM
    PTSDTherapy

PTSDTherapy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 DCSB
    1972 Subaru Justy. Unknown miles. Lost the book that came with it when I bought it in 1989. If memory serves me it had almost 350k when I bought it. Still going no rust original paint original motor. Replaced the clutch in 1999.
    2006 Forester 389k miles
    2012 STi 131k miles
    2018 Outback 146k miles
    2022 Tacoma 102068 miles
    Forester had the head gasket issue. They used a soft head gasket that would dissolve. Replaced at 102k miles with 5 Star head gaskets. No issues. Doesn’t burn oil. Only ever needed a bolt for the trailing arm.

STi hasn’t had one thing go wrong with it. Original turbo. Original clutch.

Outback has CVT. No issues. Be more than happy to give the mechanics name at CMA Valley Subaru in Staunton VA. There’s a reason if we need a dealer we drive 3 hours one way to them.

Now the bad

Seats. Feel great when you buy them. After 2 years it’s like sitting in a marshmallow.

Their safety tech is very intrusive. People on here talk about the Tacoma hitting the brakes. Forget to adjust the Subie tech and you’ll shit your pants.

Plastic interior is meh. Lots of rattles.
    Window switches are finicky.
    Windshields are expensive as f….
    E brake sucks
    And a few more things.

However if you like to go in any road conditions it’s worth it. Throw some Hakkas on a Subie and it laughs at snow. At speed. Any speed.

The Tacoma. Been bulletproof. No issues.

doublethebass likes this.
  6. Feb 17, 2024 at 11:44 PM
    TACOTU3

TACOTU3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtracab V6 4x4 TRD
    We shopped the Outback and some of the reliability/longevity feedback online had me second guessing. Ended up with a ‘24 Honda CRV EX-L AWD and love it. Comfortable, plenty of room for activities, tech is about right and everything just works.

Think the LX trim competes in that price range, I’d say worth a look.

7. Feb 17, 2024 at 11:56 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Gnar doggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Subarus are in this weird in-between where they're kinda reliable but they kinda aren't..

Lots of CVT issues, oil leaks, they rust like hell underneath. The exhaust will rattle and fall apart. They will burn a crap-ton of oil between changes. They aren't terribly expensive to fix but they're in the shop quite a bit

The WRX/STI is built the toughest. The rest of them are kinda meh..

8. Feb 17, 2024 at 11:57 PM
    23MGM

23MGM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road
    I've had 2 Subarus between Tacoma's and they are a good value. I didn't have them long enough to comment on personal experience with reliability. The oil consumption is a thing, and their of explanation of that's what they do didn't sit well with me. I think the Cross Treks look cool and have good function. The MPGs were a nice touch. I've never had a Mazda and probably never will, but I think the Mazda CX-5 checks most of your boxes.

9. Feb 18, 2024 at 12:00 AM
    PTSDTherapy

PTSDTherapy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 DCSB
    Like the feedback on here about Tacomas. According to all the reliability issue just on this site alone Tacomas should last 50 to 75k miles. Heads breaking all the time, brakes seizing, rear diffs becoming Three Dog Hoooowl ( Nod to Fallout), crossover pipes taking a crap, brakes shuddering, transmissions shitting themselves, radiator supports talking, compression sucking, paint flying away for the winter, frames running away with the queen of rust, having to buy a gas hole to hang your gas cap, fucking tires are too small, people constantly come up and talk to you about your Tacoma ( still laugh at that one), mpg sucks with an extra 800 lbs in the back, you have to use the gas pedal to go, have to delete the chrome or it’s not cool…..

My point is every forum for every brand and make of car is 75 percent populated by people that have an issue. In the last week look at all the new people to the forum. Some ask advice like how big of tires can I fit without rubbing, how often should I change my oil, what oil is the best, some are pic collectors and just want pics of your ride…
    But most come here to ask a question about a problem that they have and are trying to figure out how to solve it.

To anyone looking for info on reliability a forum is not the place to go.

Dumpster fire threads on the other hand hell yeah we’ve got that covered.

1Crusader, perterra and Phreddby4 like this.
  10. Feb 18, 2024 at 12:01 AM
    TA2016

TA2016 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AT V6 4x4 ACLB P&T Package Red
    In Oregon 2023 new Tacomas have a $5000 discount listed on the windows bringing them down to 33K. One SR in this video has an MSRP of 30K and I am sure you can get it below MSRP. It is possible your Toyota dealer has not realized it is shifting toward a buyer’s market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGCeo-5V6Lc

11. Feb 18, 2024 at 12:24 AM
    2wdSR52022

Member:
    First Name:
    Jc
    Vehicle:
    Expensive SR5
    Thanks everyone for your input. I’m perfectly happy with my sr5 taco it’s the wife’s vehicle I’m thinking of upgrading and the cross might be something to look at with the right dealer

12. Feb 18, 2024 at 1:08 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Corolla all damn day

13. Feb 18, 2024 at 1:17 AM
    RichochetRabbit

RichochetRabbit Ping Ping Ping

Member:
    My 2007 Corolla had a head gasket issue around 28k. Then freeway debris broke my splash guard and the water rotted the accessory belt (did not know the belt was rotting until it was useless). Then finally at 250k last year the belt tensioner caved.

That is the only memorable maintenance history of my 2007 Corolla.

EDIT: I had been planning for a year to buy a Tacoma, but waited until *something* broke so I had a reasonable excuse.

Steves104x4 likes this.
  14. Feb 18, 2024 at 3:30 AM
    Delta09

Delta09 I Eat Glue

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    South Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2024 SR5 DCSB 4WD
    Had a 2019 Subaru Ouback that when bought was like at 62K miles in August 2022. First the DCM freaked out causing a parasitic draw. Due to the module being on infinite backorder they pulled the fuse which affected the front door speakers. 7 months in the part was still on backorder, and was traded in "broke"

At 67K miles the engine had to be pulled and completely re-sealed due to a massive oil leak. They normally just seep, but this one was actually dripping on my garage floor. Covered under warranty.

Shortly after getting the car back from that job the CVT was starting to act up. Nope, I'm done. Traded it for a 2023 Camry December 2023. Pretty sure the dealer had to put in a transmission in that Outback after they used it to drive up to Detroit to pick up some cars at auction.

15. Feb 18, 2024 at 3:42 AM
    jwctaco

jwctaco Retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    23’ T4R
    2019 Crosstrek no problems @ 71,000. miles. Great in the snow, we would buy another Subaru.This is our second Subi, had a Foreter that died at 180,000. Because of rust, it ran great, sold in for parts. IMG_1075.jpg

23MGM likes this.
  16. Feb 18, 2024 at 3:52 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    From what I've read newish Subaru's aren't quite as reliable as they used to be. Probably still above average, but if I wanted something similar to an Outback or Forrester it would be worth a little more to get a Rav-4.

jwctaco likes this.
  17. Feb 18, 2024 at 4:03 AM
    Archimedes

Archimedes Demanufacturer

Member:
    Outside the stupid part of Vermont
    Vehicle:
    23 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Full-on degenerate heavy metal banjo music
    Where are you located? We have a 2014 Crosstrek and agree with the above - put Blizzaks (or your choice) on and it's a little beast in the snow.... or dry if you're zippy. The AWD on Sub's seem great, just works better.

I also agree that they may sometimes have issues - our electric power steering went out last January at 8.5 years / 70K, known cover plate / moisture intrusion issue. They replaced entire rack free thankfully. BUUUUUT, then the other week exactly one year to the day the PS went out again. I muscled it down to the dealer again. On the way to move it, it came up working for them and didn't fail since. I have no faith in using it for a long drive now, and Mrs. would probably crash if it went out on her. I also have a tin-foil feel about this one given the timing and "fixed itself"...

And ours does burn a lot of oil - like 1/2 quart every 1200 miles - as well as AC juice.

For us - When it's in fine shape it's been a great basic capable little car. Good but just not top tier quality IMO. We are also looking at the Corolla Cross to replace, but last fall locally never got any in... gave up. She also doesn't want to give up the Cross since it's a manual trans, which also has never given us any problems.

Dude, that was awesome - the mere concept / title of the thread alone... may have to revive when bored and unexpected :devil:

18. Feb 18, 2024 at 4:21 AM
    Archimedes

Archimedes Demanufacturer

Member:
    Outside the stupid part of Vermont
    Vehicle:
    23 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Full-on degenerate heavy metal banjo music
    Yeah, we had some (?) trim level of a 23 Forester for the loaner the other week. It is definitely felt nice on the inside, quiet, and handled good. Much better for all those items than most Toyotas I've been seeing lately. For basic average mileage I'd do another Sub for the Mrs, for greater than 10 years 150k I'd hesitate. I guess I'd say my above statement of top tier quality is more leaning towards long term survivability, which I will edge towards Toyota for myself.

fiftysix[QUOTED] and jwctaco like this.
  19. Feb 18, 2024 at 4:54 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    How about a Nissan Versa, Sentra, or Altima? If you are not buying a Toyota. People seem to be able to keep them running andon the road. Not my first choice but they are probably with in budget. I don't care for the digital controls on new Subarus. Unless I wanted or needed o good AWD vehicle I wouldn't buy a Subaru and then I still wouldn't want to buy a new Subaru.

20. Feb 18, 2024 at 5:41 AM
    Big Cole

Big Cole Well-Known Member

Member:
    I purchased a 2014 Outback because I needed an AWD vehicle that was fuel efficient and reliable. Had multiple transmission issues including constant excessive heat and internal transmission solenoid failure. Pretty disappointed but learned my lesson. Back to a Toyota again.

4runnerToTacoma likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top