1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a safe backspace.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by OhioTaco, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mar 25, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    OhioTaco

OhioTaco [OP] Let it snow!

Member:
    Novelty, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD off-road super white
    What is a safe backspace in an after market rim? I have a 06, TRD off-road, AC, w/ 3” lift. I’m looking at 285/75/16 M/T tires on 16x8 rims. Would a 4.5 backspace be my best bet? What about the offset, is that different from the backspace? Should I expect to trim? I’ve looked all over, and had no luck. Any help would be great! :mudding:

2. Mar 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    From what I've read, most seem to go with 4.5" bs on aftermarket wheels. Stock is 5.5". for 285's you might still rub a little but nothing a little trimming wont' fix.

Backspacing is the measurement from mounting surface to the inside of the wheel rim (closet to the engine). So less backspacing pushes the wheel out further. Offset is the measurement from the mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel.

3. Mar 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    4.5 is safe :thumbsup:

4. Mar 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    SuperD

SuperD Mall Cruiser Pilot

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    ProComp 6" Stage II, 18x9 Moto Metal 955's, Cooper Discoverer STT 305/60R18, K&N FIPK, Go-Rhino Stainless side steps, Redline Elite hood struts, Magnaflow muffler, Delta Alum. Toolbox, Husky Liners F/R, Window tint
    Yep, 4.5" backspace and anything with a negative in offset, ie. -12mm offset, should be good..

Yes, offset is a different measurment than backspace. Backspace is the amount of space from the rear of the wheel to the wheel mounting surface.

Offset is where the wheel mounting surface falls in relation to the centerline of the inside of the tire mounting lips.

This completely confusing explanation was brought to you by the letter R :)

5. Mar 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    OhioTaco

OhioTaco [OP] Let it snow!

Member:
    Novelty, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD off-road super white
    Thank you guys, now I’m getting it.

6. Mar 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Here is 285/75-16 on 16x8 wheels, no issues here
    [​IMG]

7. Mar 31, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    dihilles

dihilles Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    hey longbow could u post more pics of the truck to see what the wheel look like? maybe u can provide the backspacing and size lift you have... id really appreciate it

8. Apr 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    radbowman

radbowman Member

Member:
    Rochester
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    ARE Topper
    Hey Longbow, those are some sweeet wheels, By the way "Longbow" is the name related to your choice of hunting weapon, or is it just a name?

Products Discussed in

To Top