1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a scenic spot to go wheelin and campin...

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by robbielight, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Jul 21, 2016 at 2:23 PM
    robbielight

robbielight [OP] paintball is life.

Member:
    First Name:
    robbie
    Norco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 DC SB M/T
    Bilsteins 5100s Falken Wildpeaks 33's
    Lookin to take my lady and pup wheelin and campin for our 5 year anni.. LOL

but anyways, anyone know of a good spot to go?

MotoEd likes this.
  2. Jul 21, 2016 at 10:13 PM
    MotoEd

MotoEd Ed-MotoEd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver DCLB 4x4
    ARE Shell. Pelfreybilt front bumper. hi-clearance rear bumper w/swing out. Rigid light bar/fog lights/reverse lights. Pelfreybilt front skid. Home/hand made slidders. DR front coilovers. Camburg UCA. AllPro Expedition leaf pack w/u-bolt flip and Timbren bump stops. 285 70-17 on stock rims with Spider Trax wheel spacers. EBC slotted/drilled rotors with green pads.
    How long are you planning to go for? Head up 395. Get up past Bishop on 395 and there's plenty of places to go camping, fishing and wheeling. Check out a lake called "Laurel Lakes" up by mammoth. Google it up. You have to 4wheel up to the lake 4.5miles but that keeps a lot of the sight seeing traffic away. A sign at the beginning states high clearance vehicles only. Definitely not 2wheel friendly. Awesome High Sierra lake with some great fishing. This is a single lane road with minimal places to pass on coming vehicles. Keep an eye out up the trail to plan your passes.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  3. Aug 12, 2016 at 12:00 AM
    Dcsleeper408

Dcsleeper408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2000 Sr5 xtra cab
    Fishing pole antenna
    Are you able to set up camp at the lake? Or only drive in/drive out.
    Looking to do some dispersed camping around that area this looks like a nice spot.

4. Aug 12, 2016 at 12:33 AM
    MotoEd

MotoEd Ed-MotoEd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver DCLB 4x4
    ARE Shell. Pelfreybilt front bumper. hi-clearance rear bumper w/swing out. Rigid light bar/fog lights/reverse lights. Pelfreybilt front skid. Home/hand made slidders. DR front coilovers. Camburg UCA. AllPro Expedition leaf pack w/u-bolt flip and Timbren bump stops. 285 70-17 on stock rims with Spider Trax wheel spacers. EBC slotted/drilled rotors with green pads.
    I'm pretty sure you can camp there. I've seen people up there with tents set up. Not too sure about having any kind of camp fires though. Check the ranger station in mammoth. The lake is pretty small though so not too many camp sites away from parking areas. One side of the lake is a solid rock slide. I just went up there last weekend and there's quite a bit of jeep and razr traffic. Plan to head up early in the AM if you can so you miss the people coming back down the trail. It's pretty much a 1 lane on the side of a mountain. Luckily you can see for a ways up/down the trail if anyone is coming your way. Also a cool spot to check out is Green Creek up by Bridgeport. It's just past Bodie ghost town on the left hand side before you get into Bridgeport. Awesome creek to camp and fish on. There are quiet a few dispersed camping spots along the creek. At the end of the 7 mile dirt road there is a state campground that has water and pit toilets. $20 a night to camp there and $6 day fee if your wife needs to use the potty. I know cause a prick up there was razzing us that there's a $6 day use fee. I'm not sure if he was just another camper or if he was the camp host. No official shirt or name tag on like the rest of the camp hosts wear. Just beware. There is a gate at the end of the campground there. If you hike up about 2 1/2mi from the gate is Green Lake . Some good fishing there too. Tons of deer up there all through that valley. Not too much traffic up there either. Good luck guys.

Picture coming back down from Laurel lakes.

IMAG1508.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  5. Aug 12, 2016 at 8:59 AM
    Dcsleeper408

Dcsleeper408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2000 Sr5 xtra cab
    Fishing pole antenna
    @MotoEd Thanks! gonna check out those other spots as well.

MotoEd likes this.
  6. Aug 12, 2016 at 9:12 PM
    MotoEd

MotoEd Ed-MotoEd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver DCLB 4x4
  7. Sep 11, 2016 at 1:22 PM
    dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores A camping truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    OME885/5100, DAKAR MED-DUTY, SOFTOPPER
    Laurel Lakes looks like a great trip. Can the kids get in and swim in this area? Looking for something pretty remote to take the family. Also... I've heard of some 2wd rigs making it up this road with no problem. tsk tsk @ProForce Wondering how much lifted prerunner w/ all terrains would do.

8. Sep 11, 2016 at 9:05 PM
    2X4TACOMA

2X4TACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite Mica 2010 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road
    Look into Monache Meadows, Sequoia National Forest. (395 and Nine Mile Road)
    Coyote Flats, Inyo National Forest. (395 and 168)
    Voyager Rock Trail. (Out of Fresno. The start of the Dusy Ershim Trail at Courtright Lake)
    These spots along with Laurel Lakes are a few of my favorite.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    MotoEd likes this.
  9. Sep 11, 2016 at 9:35 PM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Nuclear Janitor

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
  10. Sep 13, 2016 at 8:26 PM
    IamMachines

IamMachines Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Flagstaff AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma 4x4 DCLB
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2017-tacoma-4x4-dc-lb-adventure-truck.449483/
    :thumbsup:
    I was just up in the Eastern Sierras.

Monache Meadows is awesome, fun trail in and out. Lots of camping spots in the area above Kennedy Meadows
    IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_9740.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg

Mt Watson in the Tahoe Basin is pretty sweet. All Trails says 2wd can make it, but I took the 73 fire road and it had a few steep climbs I wouldnt have attempted without 4wd
    IMG_9850.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_9851.jpg
    IMG_9852.jpg
    IMG_9847.jpg

As others have mentioned, Laurel Lakes is beautiful. Again, people have taken 2wd up that road, but there is some loose shale off the mountain that would give me the puckers without 4wd. Some pretty hairy switch backs too. I dont know if you can camp by the lake though. You might be able to, but I just did the day trip.
    IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_9832.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_9836.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg

Or just hitup Alabama Hills right off the hwy.
    IMG_2747.jpg
    IMG_2646.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg

GPS tracks in the signature! :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top