1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a used Tacoma, and have a question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Voodoo Rufus, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    Hello people,

I've been looking at Tacomas for quite a while. I've been waiting and hunting the classifieds in my area for a specific version, namely an 05-08 Indigo TRD Sport, 4x4, V6, auto, short bed. They seem incredibly hard to come by. I prefer the Sport to the TRD Off-road primarily for the color matched pieces and mostly for the rear limited slip differential for snow driving. I can find silver Tacomas in the configuration above easily enough, but indigo ones are near impossible to find and black ones, though slightly less rare, are always lifted (seemingly always with blocks and spacer lifts).

Since I live in Wyoming, I would be interested in exploring trails, two-tracks and dirt roads. I don't have much of an interest in rock-crawling or extremely serious off-roading. But who knows, maybe tastes will change with experience.

I would mainly like to know if there's any good reason to expand my search to include TRD Off-Road models even though I don't have a real need for a rear locker. If anything I'd try to swap the locker for an aftermarket rear LSD instead such as the Detroit True-trac.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

2. Jan 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    That's a pretty narrow set of requirements. How far are you willing to go? How long are you willing to wait.

What cab do you want?

Carmax lists a an '06 double cab TRD Sport in dark blue (Indigo I presume) in Orlando FL. You might start checking other used vehicle search engines to see what you can find. Also pick out the larger population centers near you or that you wouldn't mind visiting and watch craigslist for those cities.

Good luck finding your truck!

3. Jan 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I've seen that color only once and I live in CA. Hard color to come by.

4. Jan 20, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    I use edmunds.com to look for used cars/trucks. Best of luck!

5. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    Toymaker

Toymaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra RCSB 4x4 TRD OR, Black
  6. Jan 20, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    Fort Collins is 400 miles. I wouldn't be willing to drive much further than that. The closest real population center to me is Salt Lake City at 80 miles. Lots of Subarus, not so many Tacomas.

I didn't consider using Edmunds for car searching. Thanks for the suggestion. Opening up the distance range yields a lot more than I was looking at.

I can wait a long time as long as I find the right one. Or until Toyota does a nice redesign on the truck. I just don't need nor want any of the electronic nannies that the 09+ trucks come with (as nice as some of them might be in the TRD O/R version).

Too bad I wasn't in the market for one in 2008!

7. Jan 20, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts
    I am on the hunt for the same truck in VA

its a hard find, I even have the dealers looking for me and they are not having much luck

I may have to widen my search

Justin

8. Jan 20, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    http://tinyurl.com/yagqze9

Only 800 miles away. :/

I found one locally (salt lake) but the owner has not responded to my two inquiry emails.

Products Discussed in

To Top