1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for advice- .308 ARs

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by spearhead, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Apr 7, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    spearhead

spearhead [OP] Taco Supremist

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    09 4DR Mag Grey 4WD Sport
    TRD CAI Eibach Springs 5100s all around Front set to .85 Toytec AAL
    If I can bore you with my story, I would love some feedback from anyone who has recently invested in one of these...

I hunt with a 7mm mag which has more power and distant than I need now since my new location will cover a denser area where a shot over 125 yards would not be made. I never considered a .223 for hunting deer but am intrigued now that manufactures are going with a .308/7.62 round in the more rugged/compact AR platform. I like the idea of having an all purpose rifle and yes, have subscribed a little bit to the 'better get 'em now' mentality.

I am trying to get one of these on order but between Rock River, Armalite, DPMS, and others- the wait times can be insane! 3 different local FFL dealers treat me like a step child when inquiring on availability, or god forbid their suggestions or feedback, so maybe I am asking the wrong questions or coming on like a moron, but I also know they can't keep any ARs on their shelves and perhaps are just frustrated.

Anyway, if anyone has a review of these newer calibers in these rifles or has suggestions on how to approach dealers, alternative manufacture options, or have a similar scenario they can share - anything would be appreciated.

2. Apr 7, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    I've got an Armalite AR-10T and love it. Standard 7.62/308. It's a bit of a beast for hunting, pretty hefty. The newer 'Ts' from Armalite have a 20" barrel but mine has the 24". A shorter barrel would cut some weight. I got my deer with it last year. It isn't an optimal first-choice as a hunting rifle in that configuration, but one of the smaller/lighter guns would be great in that role.

I'm not familiar with the other calibers in the 10. I like the 308 round. Calibers like the 45/70, 30-06, 308 and 223 (as well as the 9x19 and 45acp handgun rounds) are not only popular because they had a lot of military R&D prior to being adopted by the services, but also because they are good, accurate, effective rounds.

I have noticed that some ARs and other scarce (since the election) "assault rifles" have been showing up on dealer shelves again. They don't last long. Just last Friday evening I was in a local store and noted that they had 8 DPMS AR-15s on the rack. I later was told that by 11am on Saturday they were all gone. Another shop got a couple of AR10s but they were sold in hours. It is probably a matter of either being in the right place at the right time, or having a friendly local shop owner or dealer who is willing to hold one for you if/when it comes in.

Good luck.

3. Apr 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    Itsallgood

Itsallgood Awww, we got this!

Member:
    Midland, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2003 Xtra Cab Red V6 4X4
    Deck Plate, K&N, Grey Wire Mod, Magnaflow Dumped,Goodyear Duratracs-265/75/16,OME 3 in lift,LR Upper control arms, Wabfab sliders, homemade bed bar, 4XInnovations class 3 rear bumper, Trail-Gear low pro front bumper with Warn M8000 winch & LED turn signals
    I have a DPMS LR-308 Sport tactical and it will shoot 1 in groups a hundred yards and I even shoot the 300 yard gong. I got mine before the election on Rguns.net for $800.00 they are $840.00 now. It comes with 2-19 round mags. Hope this help I love this gun and it is a hog shooting piece of equipment. :D

4. Apr 7, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    an "M14"/"M1A" might be something to consider also. With some gas cylinder shims and NM sights mine shoots 1MOA.

5. Apr 7, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - Black
    IM sent that will hopefully help you on availability.

Products Discussed in

To Top