1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for input on my suspension overhaul/lift plans

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ManInTheMaze, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Sep 5, 2017 at 8:48 AM
    ManInTheMaze

ManInTheMaze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mendo
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2017
    Hello All! I recently picked up an 02 2.7l DCSB Prerunner and want to do a suspension overhaul. I've been reading up and asking some questions but I wanted to get a little more feedback on my plans. I am very new at this and want to make sure that I have things right.

I plan to replace my rear leaf springs with Dakars, which should give me about 2.25"-2.5" of lift. I was originally planning on using Bilstein 5100s in the rear and the front but am now considering the OME Nitrochargers. Anyone have any suggestions for one or the other.

In the front I am either going to go with a OME 881 coil or the 882. According to the numbers the 881 (about 2" of lift) will result in the truck being a little ass high and the 882s (about 2.75" of lift) will result in the front high ride. I will be running a stock bumper and my engine is only a 2.7, so I was thinking about the 881s, but then again I do have a double cab... What do you think?

Additional parts needed:
    -brake line extention
    -BPV bracket
    -shackle bushings
    -exhaust bracket
    -u-bolts
    -anything else???

I've also read around that I may also need a differential drop? I also see recommendations for upgrading the upper control arms when you go to a lift of 2.5 or above. Would you guys recommend upgrading the upper control arms in the front while I am at it?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I appreciate anyone who has the time to help me out and let me know their input or point out anything that I am missing.

2. Sep 5, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    Go with the ass-end high option: since it's a truck if you have any sag in the rear it'll be amplified when carrying a load.

I don't think any of those additional parts are really necessary... But I'm a 2nd gen. The Ubolts are obvious if you are going to be adding additional leaf springs for height.

You first genners benefit from differential drop kits, yeah, if you're a 4WD. New upper arms help by giving you additional movement in the ball joint which will get you aligned easier.

3. Sep 5, 2017 at 8:58 AM
    ManInTheMaze

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mendo
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2017
    Would I need a differential drop kit for a 2WD? Or is that something you only need in a 4WD?

Can you recommend a moderately priced control arm?

4. Sep 5, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    20RustyTaco06

20RustyTaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Dublin, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 sr5 Tacoma DBL cab auto/4wd
    Complete Pioneer audio Supreme Suspension 3" spacer lift 255/75-17 Kuhmos/Sport wheels 1.25" wheel spacers Tint
    Diff drops are for 4wd's.
    I'd recommend you going with a Spindle lift beings your 2wd. IMO it's more cost effective and doesn't harm the ride, plus you won't have to worry about UCA's.

I went 4" on my c1500 and it's a cinch to install. Rides well and holds up to me beating on it.
    Edit: for what you'll spend on UCA's you could probably do your whole lift going spindle route.

5. Sep 5, 2017 at 9:13 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Diff drop is for 4wd. If you're in there doing a suspension overhaul, you may consider replacing worn steering and suspension parts. Inner and outer tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, sway bar end links, lower control arm bushings and cams, sway bar bushings, steering rack bushings, upper control arm bushings. Now, if you completely replace your upper control arms, no need for upper stuff. SPC/LR UCA's are the most affordable, then there's Camburg, Total Chaos, Icon, Dirt King, and probably many more. And for the rear, replace the shackles to the leaf springs, preferably with greasable. I believe there is OME greasable shackles available. See if Marie of @HeadStrong Off-Road can get you hooked up. If she can't get everything, then for the steering and suspension, check RockAuto.com , they have good prices. Just be aware that a majority of the suspension and steering parts for your truck are side specific. If you need any other help, let me know, I'll be glad to set you in the right direction.

HeadStrong Off-Road likes this.
  6. Sep 5, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    ManInTheMaze

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mendo
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2017
    Thanks for the help! If I do end up going with a new upper control arm, which items (of the ones you listed), would you recommend I replace while I am doing the suspension overhaul? Would you say that some parts are more important to replace than others?

7. Sep 5, 2017 at 10:18 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    All are important. You may be able to hold off on bushings and anything sway bar, but I would def replace tie rods n ball joints, and def rear shackles.

8. Sep 12, 2017 at 5:13 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma and 2019 4Runner
    Thank you so much for the recommendation @Texoma !!!

Texoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 12, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    You're very welcome!

Products Discussed in

To Top