1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for pivot and slide door hinge?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by kris77, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Mar 27, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    kris77

kris77 [OP] Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    I'm building a laundry room/bathroom and would like to have my washer/dryer hidden by regular 30" or 32" 6 panel doors. I would like them to open like a french door and then be able to slide back into the cavity right beside the washer/dryer.

I'm having a hard time finding hinges for this. Any ideas?

I found these...But they max door size is 26".

http://www.rockler.com/kv8091-slides-full-overlay-pocket-door-system-pocket-door-slides

I'm not even sure what they are called to start calling around local hardware stores and asking questions.

Here is a pic of what i'm looking at doing, but on regular sized doors and not cabinet doors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Mar 28, 2015 at 7:35 AM
    joshua721

joshua721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 f150 xlt v6
    A full sized door will cause alot of problems operating like that. To easy to get off track or tilted and binding.

3. Mar 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM
    rvdb

rvdb Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    stuff that makes it better for my use...
    It's a retractable door hinge/flipper door hinge Accuride makes one however none of the brands really carry that much weight they're all primarily for just cabinets.

Accuride

For vertically or horizontally mounted concealed doors. Great for entertainment centers, armoires, or kitchen cabinets. Supports door heights up to 42". Door widths up to 24". Slides and hinges come in black finish. Lengths from 12" to 28". 30 pound load rating.
    35mm hinges included in kits for inset and face frame applications. Overlay and thick door application hinges available and sold separately, and hinge mounting plates. Doors 7/8" thick or thicker must use thick door hinges. Maximum door thickness 1-1/4".
    Please note: All slides come as a kit. You will have a top slide and a bottom slide per door. All pricing is by the kit. Order one kit per door. 123 series kits include 35mm hinges and plates.
    AND PLEASE WATCH OUT: We are aware of other web sites selling the "123" slides WITHOUT hinges. This is technically Accuride's "1234" model number. The "123" kits we offer have the black 35mm hinges and mounting plates INCLUDED.
    Also note: The maximum slide length that will fit in your cabinet will be the depth of your cabinet less the thickness of your door and add another quarter inch for play. (Unless overlay application.) Allow approx. 2" of side clearance on each side for the slide, hinge, and door combined. Allow up to 2-1/2" per side for real thick doors. Do not design your cabinet to the size of your television or stereo system and then plan retracting doors. This clearance must fit into your design process first.

4. May 18, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    ryanwj

ryanwj New Member

Member:
    kris77,

I'm curious if you ever found some answers to your question? I have the exact same situation and I would really like to find some sliding pivot hinges that work with regular 6 panel interior doors. It seems the trick would be to install a sheet of plywood on the surface of the inside wall that the track would mount to to ensure a solid installation Beyond this, I see no reason why it can't work. I can use hollow core door if need be to keep the weight manageable.

I found the following from Richelieu which is very close to what I need but it looks like these things run about $1,000 bucks a set...that is about 10X more than I would like to pay.
    http://www.richelieu.com/us/en/cate...and-partitions-hawa-concepta-25-30-50/1168421

These are very close to what I need - stated max door with of 26" is just shy of my target of 28 or 30". I might end up trying to make these work.
    http://www.amazon.com/Knape-Vogt-Po...264&sr=1-7&keywords=sliding+pivot+door+hinges

5. Jul 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM
    MarcoPolo57

MarcoPolo57 I am Groot

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    THE O.C.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport V6 4x4 double cab white
    High mount LEDs , dome lite LED

The link showed 30 inch glides. You can use these, but have to go with cabinet style doors. Looks like the door attachment system used is like Blum hinges, utilized exclusively for cabinet style doors requiring a 35 mm hole drilled on the inside of the door @ the attachment point, usually 1/8 inch in from the edge. Typical large (long) cabinets have 3 attachment points: top, center, bottom. Those glides appear to have 2 attachment points per glide. That would mean using 2 glides per door, 4 attachment points. Your only worry would be where to attach the glides. You'd have to attach to wood, ie; studs, or install ledgers across the studs for custom fitting at the sides.

Easy peasy. Should be a two hour install or less.

6. Jul 3, 2015 at 4:41 PM
    Brianz1001

Brianz1001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Retired on my couch with a cold beer in my hand
    too much to type
    Look online at Outwater Hardware they have a lot of stuff in there cat.

7. Dec 3, 2019 at 6:13 AM
    Narsil487

Narsil487 New Member

Member:
    Anyone find a solution? Same problem as kris and ryan

Products Discussed in

To Top