1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for some wires

Discussion in 'Towing' started by chugchug, May 16, 2011.

1. May 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    chugchug

chugchug [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Frederick MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra
    I have 2005 DC W/O factory tow package. I did install a hitch and wiring. Now I was able to get my hand on a camper that I could turn down so I need to install a B/C (brake control). I found the factory B/C plug in the cab and found that there is no relay and missing 2-30 amp fuses in the fuse box under the hood. Now the big question is where is the other end of the B/C wire at? is it under the hood your under the truck or I am screwed and have hard wire it.

Any help would be great

Thanks

2. May 17, 2011 at 1:25 AM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    Others in your situation have reported that they found the brake controller plug, but all of the wires were not there. Here's the wiring of the brake controller plug in a 2006:

1. Yellow, Brake (to trailer)
    2. Black, +12 VDC (Always on, from TOWING BRK fuse)
    3. White/Black, Ground
    4. Blue, Stop (from brake light circuit)
    5. Green, Taillight (+ 12 VDC when the taillights are on)

3. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:28 AM
    Keating

Keating New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab SR5 4x4
    So a bit of thread necropsy here, but I'm confused as to where to go from here.

I've got a 2010 NON-tow-package SR5 DCLB 4x4.
    I've installed a Draw-Tite class III/IV receiver and Reese/Draw-Tite/Hidden Hitch Wiring harness that Tees into both tail lights.

I'm attempting to finish the install with a 7-Pin plug and brake controller.
    The 7-pin connects to the 4 pins of the existing 4-flat plug, and requires the three remaining wires for constant 12V, reverse lights and brakes to be connected.

My question is, that if the truck doesn't have the tow package, and there are no *factory* wires connected to a plug at the rear bumper, what is the yellow wire of brake controller plug currently connected to? Anything? If I plug my brake controller into that plug, where do I pick it up the yellow wire to connect it to the 7-pin? It appears the blue wire is the trigger to activate the brake controller, the black wire powers the controller, white/black is ground and green, well, might power the backlight if your controller has one.

I haven't pulled my plug out from the kick panel yet, so maybe it's possible the plug doesn't have the yellow wire, and the installer should run a point-to-point from the controller output to the 7-pin. Does the yellow wire exist in a non-tow-package equipped truck? Does it deadhead at the fuse panel under the hood maybe?

Products Discussed in

To Top