1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for work

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by TyT, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Jan 20, 2022 at 4:24 PM
    TyT

TyT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey, everyone! It has been some time since I've posted on the forum. I tend to lurk in the background more but I'm hoping to change that! Either way, it's good to be here and back! I enjoy this place immensely!

Anyways, after 7 years of military service, I'm leaving the Air Force. I'm leaving for an array of many reasons, but it was a great experience, (I'm still open to going reserves). I completed my bachelor's degree while enlisted and acquired a BA in Marketing. Currently, I'm on terminal leave and will be receiving my DD214 in February.

The long story short is, well, I'm not having much luck. I'm not sure if it's my experience, bad resume, or just no one wants to hire someone with little experience outside the corporate world (I've applied to 75 open positions in marketing so far). So, I figured I'd come here and see if I can do some networking and maybe earn a job.

I've been doing some networking on LinkedIn and other sites, but maybe this can be a better spot? Heck even if I can’t find a job, maybe we could make this a sticky or something and help each other find jobs, or even if you're looking to find a better job and advance each other's careers? Maybe make it a place where we can help your business you work for find a quality candidate?! At the very least this could be a thread that helps us all network and connect on a professional level.

I have my resume ready and questions ready to be answered. Maybe at the very least people can post help wanted and we can all DM each other or we just connect professionally.

Thank you in advance, and if this helps anyone else other than me that would be amazing too!

-Ty T

2. Jan 20, 2022 at 4:38 PM
    PacoDevo

PacoDevo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB white "Quinn the Eskimo"
    Are you looking at entry level jobs?? I would think you should be due to a perceived (from your post at least) lack of experience. NO OFFENSE meant by this either.

My son has worked as a mechanical engineer full time for almost 2 years and is looking elsewhere for a new job. Has a second phone interview tomorrow and already told the first interviewer he was willing to take a 10% pay cut from his current job's pay !?!!?!!?!?

Willing to do whatever to get a job he prefers. I think it is more of an entry level job, too.

Good luck!!!

3. Jan 20, 2022 at 4:39 PM
    Mark77

Mark77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Off-road
    Nothing yet
    Following up with phone calls after you send a resume?

4. Jan 20, 2022 at 4:43 PM
    C-Rok275

C-Rok275 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro
    Are you targeting your resume to each position, or just firing off the same generic version to all of the different places?
    Did you have someone review your resume to make sure it looks good? Is it too many pages, filled with military acronyms and jargon?

gillies66 and BudFriendguy like this.
  5. Jan 20, 2022 at 4:54 PM
    gillies66

gillies66 Just Passing Through

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR
    ^This. I’ve done a lot of hiring in the last 18 years and can spot a generic resume a mile away.

Read their job posting. Read it again. Pull from it all of the specific education, experience and aptitude they want and express how you can and will do the job for them. Be clear and concise. If the job’s a good one, the reviewer will have lots of resumes to read. Make it easy for them.

Remember: a good, tailored resume gets you noticed for an interview. A good interview gets you the job.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    andagi808, Xtremsiege2 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  6. Jan 20, 2022 at 8:18 PM
    TyT

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you! Yes and no. I've been looking at entry-level and a step above. I thought maybe my military experience would fill in some gaps for some jobs but I may be wrong about that!

7. Jan 20, 2022 at 8:21 PM
    TyT

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    No, because most of them are major fortune 500 companies and I figured my resume just got filtered through by keywords and if I didn't meet the criteria they probably didn't even look at it.

8. Jan 20, 2022 at 8:22 PM
    TyT

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    It was definitely filled with Air Force acronyms before I had some people look over it. My resume isn't changing based on the job, but I am however changing my cover letter each time.

9. Jan 20, 2022 at 8:24 PM
    TyT

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the advice. I have been tailoring my cover letter for jobs but how do I know what and where to make changes based on the job? I'm willing to post my resume on here btw so I can get better advice yall just let me know!

10. Jan 20, 2022 at 8:27 PM
    TyT

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Or maybe point me to the right youtube page or website that will help me build a better resume?

11. Jan 20, 2022 at 8:32 PM
    New4x4

New4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road DCSB
    All-Pro Sliders Dirty Deeds Industries Exhaust
    What did you do for the military and what do you want to do? As someone who did DOD work, it is hard to have a resume ready for the private sector.

12. Jan 20, 2022 at 10:56 PM
    TyT

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I'm starting to see the difficulty! I was a B1 Bomber crew chief. I don't want to do aircraft maintenance work anymore so I got my BA in Marketing. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do something in sports marketing or real estate. I interned at Jones Lang LaSalle in their marketing department for 90 days. I've been applying to all sorts of open positions on teamworkonline.com for sports marketing and areas of that caliber.

13. Jan 21, 2022 at 12:10 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I drink, and I know things… Moderator

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    Good luck on your search. You plan on staying local to DFW area or willing to move?

I agree with everything @gillies66 gave advice on. I have round can filed so many applications due to cookie cutter resumes, misspelled words, or incomplete sentences, etc. Personally, I would go real estate.

Have you ever considered power generation/utility/gas & oil companies in a marketing role? There’s some stupid money to be had…

One last thing, practice mock interviews (like a lot).

14. Jan 21, 2022 at 5:11 AM
    TyT

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the advice. I am willing to move. I'm currently in Abilene, TX where I was stationed but I wouldn't mind going to the DFW area or Austin at all. Would prefer to be closer to some mountains but I'll go where I can!
    I'm looking much deeper into real estate now.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 21, 2022 at 5:13 AM
    gillies66

gillies66 Just Passing Through

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR
    Post a job listing you are or have been interested in.

16. Jan 21, 2022 at 5:20 AM
    auskip07

auskip07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2019 TACOMA SR V6 , 4X4, AUTO, 4.88, 265/75 r16
    have you had people proof read your resume? does it pass to 5 second test well organized etc

17. Jan 21, 2022 at 5:27 AM
    auskip07

auskip07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2019 TACOMA SR V6 , 4X4, AUTO, 4.88, 265/75 r16
    its worth considering , tons of people with marketing degrees (pretty generic degree) that cant do a lick of work with their hands. you have the hand skills that will start you out with higher pay and provide a comfortable career (because alot of people dont want to do the work) i know its not what you want to hear but im going to tell you go where others cant and the money will follow.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  18. Jan 21, 2022 at 5:41 AM
    PacoDevo

PacoDevo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB white "Quinn the Eskimo"
    You might try getting away from the 'fortune 500' companies and start looking at smaller, more localized companies. Get your feet wet and gain practical experience there for a few years then look to 'move on up to the east side' (per George Jefferson on the old Jeffersons TV show). Everyone wants to work in sports!!! Same with physical therapists/trainers - dream jobs!!!

I will use my son again:

First internship while still @ YSU was for an HVAC company - not his "dream job"
    That experience did help him get his second internship during senior year - which led to him getting hired full time (same company, different location) after graduation. Company was called Arconic during school then changed to Howmet Aerospace. He is now looking at Diebold, more of a nationwide company (I think) but still a local plant. His dream employer......General Dynamics. He realized he really didn't have the work experience to keep applying for their positions at this point in time. Down the road, maybe.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    ColoradoTJ likes this.
  19. Jan 21, 2022 at 5:54 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    I would agree. Blue collar/trade has been hot my whole career.
    My nephew is doing the sports medicine thing and hope it works out for him. Glad his fiance will be a pharmacist with no school debt.

20. Jan 21, 2022 at 6:23 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Looks like Alaska
    Vehicle:
    POS Jeep
    Look into some blue collar/trades as well to get your foot in the door. I work with a bunch of people that have degrees. Besides Electrical/Mechanical Engineers, not one of them are using their degrees. My wife doesn't use hers anymore either (business management) due to making more in skilled trades.

Solar is pretty hot right now. If I had another 10 years to retirement I would consider looking into a solar career.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.08.37 AM.jpg

To Top