1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to purchase subwoofers for my 2nd Gen... HELP

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Ethannbennett, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Apr 14, 2016 at 5:29 AM
    Ethannbennett

Ethannbennett [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Tacoma Double Cab
    3" Surpreme Suspension Lift 20" Mayhem Warrior Wheels 33" Toyo M/T Sypder Smoked Halo Headlights Blacked out emblems & Lettering
    Hello, this is my first post so I'll try to do it properly :p. I have been stuck between subwoofers/s and boxes. I have read multiple different post and asked many people but never got many responses from them, so I figured I'd ask here :). I have read that ********* is great, but I have also read they aren't so great, are over priced, and have poor customer service. Frankly, I can't say anything because I have never purchased from them, but they seem to have good quality products. I am also new to subs and I have never bought or installed them before. I am on a budget, and am not looking to spend a bunch of money, but I want quality product th hits hard. Note: I'm just adding subwoofers right now, planning on upgrading door speakers down the road.

I am stuck between this box, from *********, and another box from HifiSoundConnections. I have read on their site that this ********* box is great, and that they have had many people upgrade from 2 10's to this box, because of the quality and it IS ported. I also watched the video on the box playing music and it sounded very nice. What do you guys think?image.jpg

Here is the other box I am looking at. It is NOT ported, but I have seen this type of box many different places, and I am planning on buying it here (if I buy this box) because of the price ($290 w/ subs & box) and because of their support, I have talked with this company on chat multiple times.
    image.jpg

What does everyone think on these products? Any help is appreciated. Thank you! :)

2. Apr 14, 2016 at 5:34 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
  3. Apr 14, 2016 at 5:53 AM
    txtaco87

txtaco87 Budget Travel Hard AF

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DCSB
    PreRun hard AF
    I Had the box from hi-fi sound connection with 2 memphis 10s and a memphis 500w amp and i loved it, it wasn't crazy bass that will shake the cars at the light next to you but perfect inside the truck. I ended up selling it and putting the storage bins back in so i could store things back there since i just had my daughter 2 months ago.

Ethannbennett[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 14, 2016 at 5:54 AM
    Flannel_Lover

Flannel_Lover Your resident questionable advice giver

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Greenville, IN
    Vehicle:
    2011 sclb base 4x4
    Alpine component speakers Rockford Fosgate 10" sub Pioneer DEH-X6800BT Kicker CX 300W amp Extang Trifecta Big Country Brush Guard
    In my Regular cab I have a Rockford Fosgate 10 powered by a kicker 300 watt amp. It hits hard on all types of songs

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Yours being a double cab you could probably fit the 12 inch variety of this package. But I don't know how wide the area is that you have available the 12 inch box is 27 1/4 inches wide and the 10 is 19 1/8. image.jpg
    Hope this helps a little. Fosgate is always the way to go IMO. best sound out there without getting into the $500+ subs.

5. Apr 14, 2016 at 5:57 AM
    Ethannbennett

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    3" Surpreme Suspension Lift 20" Mayhem Warrior Wheels 33" Toyo M/T Sypder Smoked Halo Headlights Blacked out emblems & Lettering
    thanks for the reply! could it be heard in a parking lot? Not shaking the cars next to it but hearing the bass? Thanks

6. Apr 14, 2016 at 7:42 AM
    550kawirider

550kawirider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryceson
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SR5 4X4 - Mag Grey
    Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, 2 10'' Image Dynamics IQD.V4, JCV 2DIN, Axxcess Steering Wheel Controller, MB Quart ONXY Component speakers, OME 855 Coils, 5100's Front/Rear, 1/4 Taco Lean spacer Firestone Ride Rite Air bags, GloShift Dual Digital Air Guage/Needle Gauge, LotTek A Pillar Dual Gauge Pod, Powder Coated TRD Sport Rims, Coverking Seat Covers, Custom Interior Lighting, Custom TRD Sport Decals, Tint, In cab power outlet, Fog anytime mod, Backup camera anytime mod, Blue Sea Systems 6 bank fuse block w/ thermal switch, Viper 5901 Security/Remote Start, LED Bed Lights, Blacked out Badges, In-cab air bag controller, 265/70/17 Duratracs, Viair On-board Air System, Grover Semi truck air horn, Rhino Rack over bed rack system
    contact @Mrmarv for a custom built box tuned to a Image Dynamics IDQ sub. I have 2 10'' IDQ V4's in a Mrmarv enclosure and they pound. Super nice guy to work with.

TacoJova likes this.
  7. Apr 14, 2016 at 7:51 AM
    txtaco87

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DCSB
    PreRun hard AF
    somewhat yes it can, and if the truck was in my garage with the music up, it would vibrate throughout the house lol

8. Apr 14, 2016 at 7:53 AM
    txtaco87

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DCSB
    PreRun hard AF
    @550kawirider is right though, contact Mr Marv! Ive seen alot of what hes done in threads on this forum and he is very knowledgeable

9. Apr 14, 2016 at 10:34 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Sadly we don't have our boxes made up for mass production yet and our triton requires just a little extra work but well worth it.
    Why not try your hand at building a custom box yourself ? If you don't have a table saw, most hardware stores have a big saw in the back that if you give them a cut list can rip it for you. Then your have to have clamps/glue/some screws/ and a router for nice clean cuts. Some people have a very steady hand and about to cut the sub cut outs with a jig saw but its still not as nice.

10. Apr 15, 2016 at 5:23 AM
    Ethannbennett

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    Can we bump this? :) looking for a few more opinions

11. Apr 15, 2016 at 5:35 AM
    Reckless Trok

Reckless Trok Instagram: @reckless_trok

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Pro Comp 3" Lift, 33x12.5 Federal MT, 20x14 Fuel Maverick's
    Check out Supercrewsound. Fits perfectly behind the back seat, you do have to remove the plastic storage containers though. I have two cheap kicker 10s that I got over 5 years ago and a 500 watt Alpine amp that I bought this year and it BUMPS. I have it tuned down pretty low right now because the stock door speakers and head unit can't keep up.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  12. Apr 15, 2016 at 5:55 AM
    Ethannbennett

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    Is it this box? I definitely want some hard hitting bass :pimage.jpg

13. Apr 15, 2016 at 5:59 AM
    Reckless Trok

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Looks pretty much identical. Just google supercrewsound and you should be able to find the box, you can compare pricing but that one looks about the same. I added the extra mounting depth option just to be safe.
    Also I literally listen to anything. I listen to a lot of rap lately, but rock and electronic both sound excellent. I have a bass knob installed right by the USB plug in and I also have the stock HU bass turned all the way down when listening to rap. With everything else I set the bass in the middle, Treble on Max, and Mids in the middle. I use the Spotify Equalizer to get more volume out of my mids and highs too. I really need to do a speaker and full range amp upgrade but I was quoted $850 with install so holding off a little longer.
    upload_2016-4-15_5-49-52.jpg upload_2016-4-15_5-52-36.jpg

gkomo likes this.
  14. Apr 15, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Man of Steel TRD Ignorance is the new normal

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram Limited Night Edition, 91 300ZXTT, 90 Toyota Pickup ECLB
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    20160413_155442.jpg
    I had Mr Marv build me this box for my third generation. The guy is a true craftsman and is willing to help out with any questions you have. I highly recommend him. I will be running 2 kicker comprt shallow mount subs powered by that alpine pdx 1.600. I won't have to cut my child safety hooks with this box at all. I will be installing this weekend. Good luck with your choice!20160406_203504_zpsumhulnta.jpg 20160406_212037_zpsgkkzxw2w.jpg

15. Apr 15, 2016 at 6:08 AM
    Reckless Trok

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Yes @Ethannbennett I have also heard really good things about Mr. Marv, definitely would look into that as well. His stuff is quality.

16. Apr 15, 2016 at 6:12 AM
    Man of Steel TRD

Man of Steel TRD Ignorance is the new normal

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram Limited Night Edition, 91 300ZXTT, 90 Toyota Pickup ECLB
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    Here is his phone number. Not sure when would be a good time to call him. He is on the west coast in California. He didn't gouge me for shipping or anything. He is an honest hardworking dude. Much respect.

surfpops likes this.
  17. Apr 15, 2016 at 4:18 PM
    tacotunesJosh

tacotunesJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    System
    a little late here, but @Ethannbennett this set up is one of a kind and IMO nothing comes close.
    ive had this set up over power 4 12s in a sealed box in an F350 ata car show.
    \sub can handle 700 watts and with this box you can hear it across a full size parking lot
    josh

18. Apr 15, 2016 at 4:19 PM
    tacotunesJosh

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    System
  19. Apr 15, 2016 at 4:28 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    @tacotunesJosh IF this setup with 1 ported 12 OVER POWERS 4 12s sealed in a truck there is something massively wrong with the setup in the f350 mate. By no means should such a comparison be used for marketing, thats shameful. IT may be true but it doesnt mean anything. This is just an absolute absurd statement and cant hold any value on comparison. I can make an 8 louder than multiple 12s but there are SOOO many other factors that come into play that would make it an unfair comparison and unrealistic

20. Apr 15, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    tacotunesJosh

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    System
    @manethon just trying to state how well it sounds/ loud it is.
    anywho, ive said my part with this set up.
    all else I can say is that ive had many people as stated above switch from 2 10s to this.
    anywho! here if anyone has questions!

Products Discussed in

To Top