1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking to upgrade system, dunno where to start.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Oggy, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Feb 28, 2014 at 11:58 PM
    Oggy

Oggy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I am wanting to upgrade my sound system but I am lost in a sea of information. So far here is what I want to do.

Head unit: Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Front speakers: Alpine SPR-60C

Amp: kind of lost here, do I get a 3 channel amp to run with a sub? Or get an amp for just my speakers and 1 for my sub?

Sub: Leaning towards an Alpine type r 10", nothing crazy but something better than my R2D2 sub I have now.

As you can tell I don't want an insane sound system, just something I can enjoy much more than stock one at the moment. Audio is the one area of vehicles I have yet to delve Into so any advice is appreciated.

2. Mar 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Sounds good and as for an amp I would run a jbl or pretty much any decent amp would work for you.

3. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    80PRS FTW. Good Choice.

4. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You're lost in a sea of information, because there are so many options out there and everything is adamant their recommendation is better than everyone else's.

My two cents:
    You're off to a good start with HU, speakers, and sub. I wouldn't change any one of those. 3 channel amps are pretty rare these days. You're going to find more options doing either a 4 channel amp with rear channels bridged to sub, or doing a 5 channel amp and bridging the four channels to your front speakers.

The dilemma you'll encounter is that most 4 channel amps won't provide enough power to your sub without overpowering your front speakers. Personally, I would feed that sub at least 400W (more if you can swing it). Which means you're buying a 4 channel that will provide more power to your separates than they really need. You will need to be very careful with the gains to your front speakers to make sure you don't accidentally overpower them. If you go with something that provides less power to your front speakers, then it most likely won't provide enough power to your sub.

The JL HD900/5 and Alpine PDX-V9 are popular 5 channel amps that provide 4x100W + 1x500W. You can bridge the front channels to provide 2x200W to your front speakers. Again, just be careful with gains. These amps will be versatile in the future if you ever decide to add rear speakers or possibly run your front speakers active.

If you can afford it, I suggest you go for the HD900/5. It's compact, very clean, and produces reliable power. If you can't swing that, then try for the PDX-V9. Don't let their small size fool you, they both will pack a punch.

5. Mar 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    Zenquest

Zenquest Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    That deck is overkill if youre not trying to go crazy. A huge plus is that youll never have to upgrade to another one. Check the vids on youtube. If it all makes sense to you then go for it. Where u putting that sub?

6. Mar 5, 2014 at 5:01 AM
    Oggy

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I've always been told to never skip on the head unit, plus never having to upgrade it is nice.

I plan on removing my sub that came with the truck and making a custom box. I want to hang it where the old one currently is to hide the holes; or what's more likely to happen is remove the rear console and have it on the the ground and have it facing up at a 45 degree angle up. I hate that they screwed the previous sub to the back trim panel which means to hide the holes I will have to vinyl wrap that section.

The thing with amps are they kill my budget, I don't mind spending a couple hundred. But the ones I always find that are 5 channel cost as much as the rest of my system it seems like. That's why I was wondering if running seperate amps, one for the speakers and one for the sub would work.

7. Mar 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Separate amps will definitely work fine. I only recommended 5 channels, because they're convenient all-in-one solutions. I was planning to go the dual amp route until I found a nice 5 channel at a killer price. Now my JL 500/1 and Alpine PDX 4.150 are looking for a new home.

How much are you looking to spend?

8. Mar 5, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    Oggy

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I can find the sub for 60, speakers for about 120, HU is like 220-280. I would like the amp to be 300ish.

9. Mar 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM
    Zenquest

Zenquest Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    The Alpine MRX-V70 5ch is $338 on Amazon; Kenwood KAC-7005PS is $214; Kenwood excelon x700 is $218. Youre not going to wake the neighbors but theyre both solid and fit the budget.

10. Mar 6, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    caeverly

caeverly Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Brownsville, PA
    3" Pro Comp Lift, All Pro front bumper and expedition leaf springs, ATI 50gal fuel transfer tank.
    You can definitely run two amps. I wanted to buy a 5 ch amp when i installed my system but later decided to get two. i have a mono amp for my subs and a 4ch for my speakers. together they cost me the same as the 5ch amp and had a lot more power. I have a rockford fosgate P1000X1bd and PBR300X4 (which is real small and easy to hide if you only planned on room for one amp). You would just need a 2ch amp instead of the 4 unless the access cab has rear speakers too.

Products Discussed in

To Top