1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lose my licence???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by FreidTaco, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    All BS charges aside, the OP admitted openly to us that he was speeding. And yes a passing zone is a passing zone, but just because you're driving in the opposing traffic lane doesn't give you the right to grossly exceed the posted speed limit.

2. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    He wouldn't be getting a lawyer to save money, he would be doing it for the ability to keep driving, which typically why one gets a lawyer in these cases. Reduce the charge to get lesser, or no points, not save money.

As far as your kids playing comment, if we take his word for it and he was in a legal passing zone, I don't know about where you live but I typically don't see passing zones in residential areas. Kids shouldn't be in the road.

3. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    04YodaTaco

04YodaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    central NY
    Vehicle:
    04' Tacoma 4x4 base
    New frame mod. 265/75/16 Duratracs.
    I would start asking around: friends, relatives, etc. about a good reasonable lawyer. I would think you could possibly get one infraction tossed. Not going to be easy since you already have a bunch of points and that doesn't look good. It is doable though. I've been there when I was about your age (the '72 Cutlass with 350 rocket, glass packs, big burnouts, etc. didn't help). Cost me a chunk of cash but I kept my license.

I think you know now that you need to slow down a bit and tone it down or you will be taking a bus/walking/bicycling.

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    He would lose his license for 6 months, summer is approaching, 3 of those months he wont even be in school, is it worth 5k to keep your license for the whole 6 months? That's up to op to decide.

He was ticketed for passing in a no passing zone, and I don't know about your area, but 30 mph speed limits are ONLY in residential areas here.

5. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    FreidTaco

FreidTaco [OP] boost

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Panhandle of Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD OffRoad SR5
    URD Stage 3 SC. 35" duratracs LT
    You sir, are 100% correct. The location of the incident, has no houses nor buildings of any sort along side the road.

6. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:

Key word is, he was TICKETED. Receiving a ticket doesn't mean he actually committed the offense. Remember, he's not bitching that he got a speeding ticket, he's bitching because he will lose his license for something he didn't do.

And, I've been on plenty of 30mph roads that aren't remotely residential. In fact, I've been on 4 lane highways that drop to 35mph speed limits and aren't in residential areas, not that it matters because kids wouldn't be playing on 4 lane highways regardless.

7. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    foomanchoo80

foomanchoo80 Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4 6 Speed
    OP, thanks for answering my questions. Sorry to hear about your acl, if it wasn't for that 2 miles isn't that far, I used to walk that everyday to school for 4 years. If you fight it I hope all works out for you.

If it doesn't work out, hopefully you have good friends. Just a heads up though, according to some of the guys on here they wouldn't even let their FATHER-IN-LAW ( :D ) ride in their truck

8. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    How do you get a lawyer out of a tree?

9. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    Super Black Taco

Super Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grayson
    Redwood valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD SPORT 4x4
    OME 885 1/4 spacers,Dakars, 3* shims,Light Racing UCA BHLM,Wicked Flow Muffler, JL sub, Alpine amp, URD Short Throw Kit, U-Bolt Flip kit, 285/70/17 hankook mt
    How?

10. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Cut the rope.

11. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Get a lawyer and pray they at least throw the passing offense out. If you have any luck at all they'll reduce the speeding. But with your record I doubt it.

The cost of a lawyer is cheap compared to what you'll pay in insurance the next few years, license reinstatement fees, etc. Ask around. Someone always knows a good lawyer.

But if I were you, assuming you get any break on this at all, I'd take it as a wake up call, dude. Slow your roll. You have a lot of life ahead of you. Plan ahead, slow down and enjoy it.

12. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    Palooka

Palooka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Crescent Valley, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    This isn't even the issue the OP is worried about... he admits guilt to speeding.

I would get a lawyer and fight it. The Justice system in a capitalist society is built in a way that if you have enough money, you can get both tickets at least reduced if you really wanted.

I'm not saying you should, but food for thought.

13. Apr 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    jrzyshore

jrzyshore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Prius TRD Offroad
    Icon extended travel coilovers and rear shocks, Dakar leaf springs, Toytec U bolt flip, extended length Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Timbren Bump stops ,TC UCAs, Street Taco (Beefedtaco) 1 1/2" CB drop, 4x Innovation DOM tube sliders with kick outs, some extended brake lines,ATO front skid plate, ATO trans skid, ATO Hi Lift brackets, 60" Hi Lift jack and a pine tree air freshener.
    :wave:

14. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    Super Black Taco

Super Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grayson
    Redwood valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD SPORT 4x4
    OME 885 1/4 spacers,Dakars, 3* shims,Light Racing UCA BHLM,Wicked Flow Muffler, JL sub, Alpine amp, URD Short Throw Kit, U-Bolt Flip kit, 285/70/17 hankook mt
    :wave:

15. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Any possibility of taking a camera out and documenting where you were passing and the presence of a passing zone there? I don't tend to pay that much attention to exactly were I am when I'm passing but I do make sure to follow the marked passing/no passing zones, so it should be fairly easy to figure out, if you're like me.

Good luck to you; I hope you can get the passing ticket tossed or at least reduced. Maybe they'll let you take a driver's ed class to reduce it.

That point system is in place to get bad or otherwise dangerous drivers off the road. Even without the passing ticket you're still flirting with the 12-point limit and once your insurance finds out, that assigned risk category isn't cheap if they'll still insure you at all. Regardless of the outcome I hope you take the opportunity to reevaluate your driving habits. There's a fine line between youthful ignorance and bad driving, and you're sitting on it. Be careful out there. Slow down and be cautious. We don't want to see a post from your dad that you were killed in an accident. Good luck.

16. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    1998tacomaowner

1998tacomaowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    clarkston WA
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma
    3in lift,33s
    your lucky to have the point system in wa if you get two tickets before age 18 you lose it thats why i got my licence on my 16th bday and my 18th

17. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Dang buncha people quick to judge like they have never done anything wrong. He just asked a freaken question.

18. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    Underdog777

Underdog777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Gilberz
    Vehicle:
    '06 Stuckrunner
    Camburg LT.
    I'll fap to that.

19. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking the same thing. Albeit a completely different situation, someone I went to college with got pulled over for running through a stop sign, he pleaded with the cop that you could not at all see the stop sign, but he got the ticket. Went out the next day, got pictures and took it in to the court and the ticket was dropped because the picture showed that there was overgrown trees covering the stop sign. Unless you live there and knew the sign was there you'd miss it every time. Like I said, different situation, but could still aid in showing the area and passing zone in question.

20. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    picture bump...s

Products Discussed in

To Top