1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lost boost?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by WOODEX M.E., May 13, 2017.

1. May 13, 2017 at 4:56 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    hey guys, looking for some thoughts. I changed my supercharger belt today with another trd one, the old one was worrying me at 70k miles of use.... anyways, i also changed out the plugs for new ones. After test driving the truck i noticed i was only getting about 6.5 psi of boost with the urd supergrip pully. I can usually hit 7.5-8.0 so this is bothersome. I checked for a gasket leak but was unable to detect one with soapy water. I also thought that in order to be leaking 1psi+ at that volumetric flow rate, it would need to be far more than a bad gasket. My only thought is that the new belt may be slipping a tiny bit?

Any thoughts are worth considering.

2. May 15, 2017 at 7:51 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Did you pull the charger yo install the plugs, or no?

Try vacuum capping your bypass valve. Do a test drive, and see if you boost goes back to normal.

If not, it might be the belt of the tensioner.

3. May 15, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    I did pull the charger off. There was slight damage to the manifold gasket which I tried to repair, but I'm going to pick up a new one tonight and put it in and see if that helps (which I doubt, but it will make me feel good inside.). I will also try the bypass valve trick tonight if I can. I was playing with it when I took the SC off.....cause that's what us kids do. Is it possible I damaged it? It didn't seem to move/spring very smoothly when I was messing with it.

So yeah something is wrong because I was getting 8psi the day before and now less.

4. May 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Which seal? The cap, or charger to lower plenum?

Correct in the assumption that the bypass valve should move freely. Not saying that it is the part at fault, but it does go out. Helped a few members with that same method above, prove that their valve was bleeding off when it should have been completely closed. @memario1214 comes to mind first.

5. May 15, 2017 at 1:33 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I had a vacuum leak on the underside of the blower. Taking that hose off of the back of the bypass valve and putting a piece of tape over it then going for a drive will at least help. Make sure to push on the arm that modulates the bypass valve and make sure that it cycles smoothly and also that there is nothing impeding its movement. When I had the vacuum leak my truck didn't even feel boosted!

Torspd and scottalot like this.
  6. May 15, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    The gasket I just replaced is the plenum gasket. Hope that does something. I tried blocking off the bypass valve and it still only rose to 6.5 psi. And felt weak while I was doing it so that was odd.

7. May 15, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    So it doe cycle, but I can hear and kinda feel the spring creaking and groaning as it cycles. I will try it here shortly after dinner and see if I made it better or worse.

8. May 15, 2017 at 4:29 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Here is suitable bypass valve noise. It's gonna creak a bit. Double (triple) check the routing of the two vacuum hoses on the driver's side of the blower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l62wlq9mXvY

9. May 15, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Yeah thats what mine sounds like. Also i did that with the hoses, and they are in the correct place.

I just did a test run and still 6.5 psi. As far as noise goes it doesnt seem like its winding up as much as it usually does either, like its not getting that full rpm im used to.

Wonder if its the tensioner allowing the belt to slip? I dont know of any good way of checking this. Its not making any noise.

I find this all odd that it happens right after i do a belt and plug change.

10. May 15, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Was the belt the same brand as before?

11. May 15, 2017 at 8:02 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    I do not recall, I called up toyota and had them order me a replacement. The old belt was the same one they themselves put on 70k earlier. I will have to check tomorrow to see what either one said. I think the new one says ac delco?

Im debating on what to do next. order a new belt? Buy a new tensioner? I don't even know where to find a tensioner. May have to go through magnasun.

12. May 15, 2017 at 11:23 PM
    FinnJ

FinnJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finland
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T
    TRD SC, UCON, CNG conversion, RC 6" (lifted 4"/3" air suspension) w/FOX 2.5, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RECARO seats, etc.
    Here is the part number:
    PTR29-35074. Easy to find a replacement if needed.

13. May 16, 2017 at 5:31 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Excellent, thanks for the part number, i was looking everywhere for it and kept getting the tensioners for the 1st gen tacoma.

Because of cost order, im going to start by ordering a new belt. A gates micro-v. Maybe that will make some difference for a lot less money.

I just want my truck to feel like it used to, its killing me inside.

Biscuits likes this.
  14. May 16, 2017 at 6:03 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Turn up the boost while you're at it. ;)

15. May 16, 2017 at 10:10 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    I gotta get back to the 8psi I had first before I go searching for more. Also I'm at the point in my life where I cant really justify any more performance adders on the truck (building a house). If URD had finally come out with the UCON for the later years I would have done it, but now its too late.

Also,.....so i'm going to try a belt conditioner first.....see if that has any effect. When I pick that up, I will have them order the gates belt. Hoping this fixes it. I don't want to spend the $230 on the tensioner.....especially if that also doesn't fix it lol.

16. May 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    So, I tried some belt conditioner. Did not help. In fact now it seems less at 6psi.

New belt? (Other than the new belt that is on there)

17. May 19, 2017 at 5:53 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Just an update, I put the old belt with 70k on it back on and im up to 6.8 psi. So im thinkng its a combination belt and tensioner. Ill be ordering both soon.

Also.....anyone else see the claims on urds facebook about the ucon for 09+? Aparently next week its out.

18. May 19, 2017 at 6:14 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    That will be good. Good for a lot of people.

19. May 19, 2017 at 6:14 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Sounds like you've narrowed it down.

20. May 19, 2017 at 6:23 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    I think I have. This is the most interaction ive had directly with the charger since i bought it, so i have learned a lot. And now I've realized how simple a setup these things actually are. There are litereally only like 5 reasons/places to loose boost. Most are easy to checkd cheap.....except the tensioner.

If i get it back to snuff after the tensioner and belt change ill be sure to post back here to help others in the future.

Also, loving the other thread about the radiator and spal fans @Torspd , I want them for the (what appears to be) extra space and the gained back power from the crank.

Products Discussed in

To Top