1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lost Key & Fob - ACE Hardware Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by YF_Ryan, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Jan 28, 2020 at 1:50 PM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    Hey all,

Just wanted to share my experience getting a replacement key and fob for my 2011 Toyota Tacoma. I looked online for different options. Seemed the Key was the easiest to replace and program, but the fob seemed more of a pain. Finally broke down and called Toyota for a quote, $276 + Tax. Next, I called ACE Hardware. The key and fob together were 180 including tax. They even had them in stock, so I ran over there at lunch. The ACE employee seemed to know what he was doing, quickly getting the key cut and out to the truck we went. Unfortunately his system gave the wrong key (a "dot" rather than "G" key) so that took three attempts at programming to figure out. Fob was programmed first try, as was the correct key once he had it.

Below is my old key and fob, and the new key and fob. Obviously they aren't exactly the same, and no Toyota logo, but for over $120 savings, I'm cool with that. They are just the spares that my wife holds onto anyhow.

upload_2020-1-28_13-33-4.jpg

And if you are wondering how the keys were lost... we think someone probably lifted my wife's purse from her cubicle or office after she left it last week. Luckily she has almost everything in a wallet/phone case she carries. Only lost a couple rarely used credit cards (now cancelled), a couple low $ gift cards, and MY TRUCK KEYS (which were attached to a pretty cool keychain, btw). O well, stuff happens!! These keys are getting a Tile.

And yes, you can get keys and fobs cheaper by getting the programming kit and blanks and fobs online, but this was EASY. Took about an hour. Probably could cut 20-30 minutes off that without the computer suggesting the wrong key.

2. Jan 28, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    Naszero

Naszero Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    I'm about to makes spares myself. My key is a "dot" key instead of a "g". I got two Toyota OE blanks for $16.00 and the key FOB for $14.00 on Amazon. Trying to get them cut and programmed next week...

3. Jan 28, 2020 at 9:08 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    FauxRoux likes this.
  4. Jan 28, 2020 at 9:11 PM
    Naszero

Member:
    Vehicle:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jan 28, 2020 at 9:18 PM
    steveo27

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    The key will need to be programed by the dealer or some one with a programmer if it has a transponder

6. Jan 28, 2020 at 9:56 PM
    captaintofuburger

captaintofuburger Well-Known Member

Member:
    2011 Base 4wd 4banger
    First post here. Actually just picked up a 2011 tacoma today. Didn't get a fob with the keyset, so I just signed up here to post.... oddly enough, this is right up in the new posts haha.

I bought 2 fobs off ebay. Are you all saying they can or cannot be programmed? I never looked into it before buying, in the past usually to program a fob you just cycle the key in the ignition in some pattern to do it. I just assumed the tacoma I picked up would be the same.

scottalot and YF_Ryan[OP] like this.
  7. Jan 28, 2020 at 9:58 PM
    Naszero

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The keyfobs can be self programmed. The actual key, not so much.

8. Jan 28, 2020 at 10:00 PM
    steveo27

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Look at my post like 3 posts up. Watch the video.

9. Jan 28, 2020 at 10:31 PM
    captaintofuburger

Member:
    2011 Base 4wd 4banger
    Wow. I have no idea how I scrolled right past that. /facepalm.

That is probably one of the most intense fob programming I've seen lol.

10. Jan 29, 2020 at 5:00 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
  11. Jan 29, 2020 at 5:00 AM
    NoLove

NoLove Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Ext. Cab 4x4 TRD
    Not sure if you are looking to go this route but you can buy a J2534 cable here on Amazon

to hook your computer up through the OBD2 port. Get this TechStream software here totally functional FOR FREE

https://www.tundratalk.net/threads/...ware-thread-settings-and-such.110099/page-110 .

Which I can verify as working 100% with no problems.. at least not for me. This is how I programmed my keys and the software allows you to change a great deal of settings to help you personalize your comfort and warning signals.

Sorry should note this is for the KEYS not the FOB

PLEASE DO NOT USE THE CD THAT COMES WITH THE CABLE TO GET THE SOFTWARE I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT CONTAINS VIRUSES.
    Use the forums above to get a clean and also newest release.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    TRDSport10 and YF_Ryan[OP] like this.
  12. Jan 29, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    captaintofuburger

Member:
    2011 Base 4wd 4banger
    This was one of the things I was just gonna search for to see what tools are out there haha. Ordered one.

13. Jan 31, 2020 at 5:47 PM
    captaintofuburger

Member:
    2011 Base 4wd 4banger

I hope you didn't use the CD that came with it... I just got mine in the mail today, bought from the link you posted. The driver is full of viruses. Didn't bother to scan anything else on it. https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file...9bf6310a3436624317eeec6bd2be6e09847/detection

devkurf likes this.
  14. Jan 31, 2020 at 9:07 PM
    FauxRoux

FauxRoux Member

Member:
    Hey guys, I'm a locksmith and do Auto so I thought i'd chime in.

Some remotes can be programed manually via "cheat codes". But Transponder keys will require programming by specialty tools. You CAN get a transponder blank for much cheaper than a locksmith will charge, but will still need them to program it.

There are 2 ways to program a transponder key.

First off make sure you even HAVE a transponder key. I have a 2010 and no transponder...just a regular TR-47 blank for $3 and Im good to go. If the key has a "G" stamped on the blade (also "." i believe) its a transponder key. If it has a plastic head but the blade is stamped with an "L" than no transponder or programing needed. If you're not sure just walk into a locksmith and ask them to check. They can scan it and should not charge you to do so.

Onboard Programming
    Jacking into the OBD2 connection under the dash and programing a key to an available slot in the system (most vehicles have a limit of how many keys can be programed into the system). This will often "bump" out all other keys programmed into the vehicle. So when having a new key programed into the system make sure to bring all other keys and fobs with you so they can ALL be programmed in together. This is also the method required when all other keys have been lost and a new key must be made.

Clone Key
    More often locksmiths "clone" a pre-existing key. You can have as many clone keys to a vehicle as you want as the car recognizes them all as the same key. The cloning method is also FAR easier and less time consuming to the locksmith as it does not require even going out to the vehicle (except to test the key). Clone blanks are also quite cheap, so in my opinion if you provide your own REAL blank (be careful to buy blanks from a reputable source) a transponder clone key should be under $75 to have cut & programmed IMO. Add $50 more if its a high security "laser cut" key (which is rare for a Tacoma). Clone keys DO NOT come as Fobs. A.K.A. no button features in the head of the key, those will need to be on-board programmed.

If you have a 2020 you will have to go to a dealer.

Fobs/Remotes
    Many fobs can be programed via "cheat code" turn the key 3-6 times yada yada.

Here is a good free place to get instructions on programing most any fob that can be manually programed at home.

https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/Key-Fob-Programming-Instructions-s/1856.htm

The site will also tell you if self programming is not available for that make/year/model. Keylessentry is also a reputable source to buy fobs/keys. Ive used them for years.

warning
    P.S.
    I would be extremely skeptical of anything claiming some form of "OBD2 hack" for On-Board programing of transponder keys. The proper machines range in the thousands, especially to have the full range of newer vehicle options. The automotive and security industries have spend a ridiculous amount of money on these systems over the years. They're pretty secure. Not to mention fucking with the ECU is a great way to brick your car if you don't know what you're doing.

For example even locksmiths can't make keys for most VW's. Volkswagen would rather pay a fine annually than release their programming information. They make a lot charging for replacement keys.

vssman likes this.
  15. Jan 31, 2020 at 9:17 PM
    captaintofuburger

Member:
    2011 Base 4wd 4banger
    Any cool youtube channels to watch on the subject? I've always been a bit interested. Mostly because I'm down to 1 key/fob on my 03 golf, and I'm just waiting to lose that one and be screwed.

16. Jan 31, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    FauxRoux

FauxRoux Member

Member:
    I don't know of a video for your specific make/model.

If you are down to 1 key and short on cash at the LEAST spend $5 and get a non-chip key duplicate made. It will open the doors and turn the ignition...it just wont start the car. But at least then you have the cuts for the ignition if you lose your last working key. If a locksmith has to track down the cuts AND program a fresh key you are looking at more like $600.

Here is the "cheat code" for a 03 golf remote though.

Volkswagen Golf 2003 Remote

Obtain all remote transmitters for this vehicle. You will need two keys to perform this programming procedure. NOTE: the following procedure only programs the remote buttons. It does not program the key to start the car. You must have the key programmed at a dealer or locksmith.
    1.Insert master key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position. (do not actually start car)
    2. Within 30 seconds: Insert 2nd key into the driver's door lock cylinder and manually lock the driver's door with the 2nd key.
    3.Press the LOCK or UNLOCK button
    4.After 2 seconds press the LOCK or UNLOCK button again
    5.Switch ignition to the OFF position. Programming is now complete, test remote to ensure proper function

If you need to program a key you will have to go to a locksmith...possibly even to a VW dealer as VW is notorious for not releasing their info. But its an older model so I would give it a 50-50 your local locksmith could on board it. An MVP would be more likely than a TKO.

17. Jan 31, 2020 at 9:52 PM
    captaintofuburger

Member:
    2011 Base 4wd 4banger
    Thank you for the info, yeah I never thought I should at least get a key cut, I've always just kinda planned on pulling a new set from a yard car if I lost the last one lol. I was more asking just in general, if there was anyone in the industry that you watched. I just remember watching some stuff about vvdi when I didn't want to pay the money for a new key.

18. Jan 31, 2020 at 10:06 PM
    FauxRoux

FauxRoux Member

Member:
    If you need a new transponder key programed there isn't going to be many alternatives other than shopping around and seeing who will clone and cut you a copy on a blank you provide for the cheapest price.

Here is a reputable place to get keys.

https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/2003-Volkswagen-Golf-Key-Fob-s/8389.htm

If your key looks like the ones in the link then they are high-sec "milled" or "laser" cut keys....Those are going to cost more as they need to be milled....

If you had a working key (and the know how) you could pull another set of keys (I.E. keys with different cuts) and make them work on your car as long as it had the same transponder chip type (chips are re-programmable/re-writable, but not all the same type). BUT to do so you would need to also re-key the ignition....which I wouldn't recommend trying. If you're not familiar with the process and don't already have the tools and parts there's little chance of that being worth the attempt. Trying to replace the whole ignition can cause other transponder related issues.

19. Jan 31, 2020 at 10:13 PM
    captaintofuburger

Member:
    2011 Base 4wd 4banger
    Oh yeah, I came across that site I believe. My keys are milled, I'm sure of that. There's a vag-can-commander (not vag-com) that's some real crappy china something, that no one apparently can use. I was able to make it work on my 07 for re-programming things. I guess if you're not familiar with VW, vag-com is basically the TechStream for VW. But the can-commander can go even deeper to program more, one of those things was keys and fobs iirc. I'm trying to recall from memory because it's been quite some time, but I know the dealer wanted like $400 for a fob, but there was some vvdi programmer something I found that was the same price. I think those were the 2 avenues I was going down before just kinda forgetting about it all again.

Anyways, I just think the tech in general is interesting, and would like to be "initiated" haha.

20. Jan 31, 2020 at 10:30 PM
    FauxRoux

FauxRoux Member

Member:
    Well like I said.... Fobs or Remotes can often be programmed at home with usually nothing more than a working a key. If a guy quoted $400 to program one i would never do business with them again.

$400 would be steep for most transponder keys too, except for new cars. Something from the early 2000's should not only be programmable by almost any on-board transponder equipment (TKO etc etc) but certainly by higher quality machines.

I do recall some Chinese dongle/program a year or so back that claimed to root out the specifically in house VW codes from the ECU required to access the transponder with the normal equipment...(which is why locksmiths cant do keys for many newer VW's and folks have to go to the dealer for them) and it was something like $10-20...but ive never seen or heard of it working so i can't really speak to it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top