1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loud Bang Noise With Only 200 Miles On The Truck??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jkulysses, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Jun 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    jkulysses

jkulysses [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma 4x4 3.4l 5 spd
    Well i just got my truck about a week ago and it only had 4 miles on it when I got it. It's been great so far and I love it more everyday but last night I took it on my first road trip and as I was crusing down the road at around 55 mph in sixth gear there was this sudden extremely loud bang that actually hurt my ears and my gf about jumped out of her skin. It sounded like it was directly under the cab or somewhere right around that area. I guess the best way to describe it would be the sound of a big rock hitting a windshield at freeway speeds but 10x louder. It didn't seem to affect anything at all the motor still worked fine, no oil leaks or any damage or missing parts that I can find after crawling around under the truck all morning long. I can't figure out what would do something like that but it was not a normal noise thats for sure. Way to loud to be a rock thrown out of the tires too. I don't think these stock highway tires could pick up a rock that would be big enough to make a sound like this. I'll call the dealer on Monday but trying to figure this out on my own before those knuckle heads tell me it's in my head lol. It had about 250 miles on it when that happened and I drove about another 50 to get home and it didn't do it again. I haven't even tried the 4wd yet since i got it to make sure it works but it didn't sound like it came from the front end, more like tranny or transfer case.

2. Jun 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    tommyg29

tommyg29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB PreRunner Sport
    you can look around underneath for anything loose, but my bet is something bounced up from the road and hit you. Its happened many times to me, and sometimes loud enough to startle.
    All kinds of crap out there on the roads.
    Trust me...if you ran over a small piece of a 2x4 lets say, your tire could easily make it wack the underside so hard at 55mph that you would flinch

3. Jun 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    If you already crawled under there and didn't see anything huge happening and it's running fine - I wouldn't worry too much right now. I bet some kind of debris on the road kicked up hard.

If it wasn't due to debris, but rather something mechanical, the truck is brand new and under warranty and should be taken care of.

Try not to worry yourself until you see signs of something to be concerned about. It's taking away from you enjoying your new truck.

4. Jun 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Could have been a car or truck next to you on the highway.

5. Jun 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:

Or a backfire!!

6. Jun 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    This. When I used to work maintenance at a cement plant we had to change out the finish mill balls. These were solid steel balls ranging from 1 inch up to 3 inches in diameter. If a heavy tractor drove over a loose mill ball and it was pinched under the tread of the tire just right, it would go shooting out at speeds that would shatter windows or send guys to the hospital.

7. Jun 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    jkulysses

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    It wasn't a backfire and it was on highway 101 on the coast of Oregon which if any of you have been here you can drive for 20 minutes without seeing a single car so it's not like bumper to bumper traffic. It very well could have been something in the road though. I'm very careful about running crap over but it was raining so hard last night when it happened that it was hard to see even with the wipers on high. Again if you've ever been to the coast of Oregon you'll know what kind of rain I mean lol. I've drove it over a hundred miles today and so far so good. :)

8. Jun 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Was it windy too? I'm wondering if some part of a tree branch or something might have managed to fall onto the road.

9. Jun 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    jkulysses

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    It's almost always windy here lol! I really do think that it was probably just something in the road or something. It seems to be fine I put quite a few miles on it yesterday and washed it all up got it looking new again after all that rain. I just fill it back up again today and on my 2nd tank of gas I got 18.5 mpg which is pretty good I think compared to what some people are reporting with the 6 speed manual. My first tank I got about 16.2 mpg.

10. Jun 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    I agree with most everyone above that something hopped up underneath the truck.

The day I drove my truck home, I was stopping at a red light and heard a piece of metal hit the ground. Thought something had fell off. Went back and searched around to find it. After looking at the piece I found and underneath my truck for an hour, I finally convinced myself I ran over it.

When I had my old truck, I drive through Redstone Arsenal. I made a left turn and started to accelerate and suddenly my whole truck flinches with a huge thump. Made me jump in my seat. I dumped the clutch in expecting my transmission to be laying on the road. Motor was still running fine and started checking my gears. No problems! Come to find out they were testing artillery and with the windows all up, the pressure wave caused it. Still a little unnerving everytime it would happen.

Products Discussed in

To Top