1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LOUD Clunk shifting into 4Hi

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by NAYo2002, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Dec 11, 2009 at 3:43 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    As a rule of thumb I usually take my foot off the accelerator pedal momentarily and coast while switching into or out of 4wd. It eliminates the risk of the rear wheels spinning while engaging and removes the load from the system when disengaging, avoiding that other dreaded clunk.

It isn't necessary, but certainly seems like it allows the system to engage/disengage easier.

2. Dec 11, 2009 at 4:45 AM
    roddyrod72

roddyrod72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, KY
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 Regular Cab 4x4 5 sp manual
    DRL OEM Mod, OEM Cruise Mod, 3" Lift, painted OEM grill
    What about vehicles that have auto 4wd? Wouldn't this cause the same problem? If your rear wheels have no traction, it automatically engages the front driveshaft. My wife's trailblazer has it, but I'm scared to use it. haha. Especially in a GM product. I always use 4hi or low....not that automatic crap.

3. Dec 11, 2009 at 5:19 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    +1, I do the same, make the change where there's no slipping or load on the driveline, and it'll go in/out no problem, no clunk.

4. Dec 11, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Should I just take it to the dealer and ask for an inspection? I have no visible or audible sign of damage so I'm not sure what to say to them. I don't really want to document that I did something stupid either just in case it might void the warrenty.

Did you have to do anything to that truck?

5. Dec 11, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    If its not clunking now then you prolly got lucky since you were on a slippery surface. I was under the impression it was still making an overly loud clunk going into 4x now.

As far as the trucks with auto 4hi. My Avalanche had it and the Trailblazer i bought my GF has it
    Ex if you were driving up a hill and the ass end starts spinning, as soon as you let off the gas the truck goes into 4x and when you hit the gas again you have the additional traction. The 4x ECU on the chevys wont shift into 4x with a load on the gears or if the front wheels are spinning slower than the rear.

To Top