1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loud clunk when the 4WD disengages

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by grutzmac, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    grutzmac

grutzmac [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Jackson Hole
    Bought a 2006 used and this is what is starting to freak me out. They replaced the transfer case on the truck @ the Toyota dealer before I bought the truck. It would not engage into four wheel drive so they fixed it, all fine and well. It's starting to snow around here and when I disengaged the 4WD yesterday it made a loud ass clunk and I think my truck even slid on the ice a little bit. I had someone tell me the clunk was normal on the newer trucks but I wanted to get the forums opinion.
    Thanks!

2. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...If you are driving and click outta 4WD the gears must disengage and can make a bit of noise.

Sliding will happen if you are trying to make major adjustments to the suspension/driveline on ice.

06Tacooo and Alexely999 like this.
  3. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    ^^^^ a bit of noise,yes.NEVER had any loud noises for me when entering or exiting 4x4.make sure your not giving it gas when u dis engauge it.

4. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

GTVAPSAMTIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 Automatic
    EXTANG Tuff WeatherTech Liners Toyota Bed Mat Coverkind Seat Covers
    My 2010 makes lil click noise when I engage 4H which is not laud but not audible. Dealer told me its normal. This is my first truck so I dont know any better.

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    Tsenekos

Tsenekos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Edmonton, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC 4WD trd offroad
    Toytec 3" lift w coils,1.5 AAL,5100's all around,diff drop kit, axel shims,N-Fab nerf bars,bestop supertop,fog mod, weathertech mats
    mine is silent when I disengage the 4wd to 2wd

6. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    i have had some bad sounds come from mine but it never fails me always goes in and comes out

327 likes this.
  7. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    grutzmac

grutzmac [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Jackson Hole
    Thanks,
    I don't give the truck any gas when I'm disengaging the 4WD. It makes a very insignificat click when the 4WD engages and that's fine. Problem is, when the 4WD disengages it makes a loud clunking noise and you can feel it disengage throughout the truck and seems a little bit to noisy. The only thing I can think is that it's getting to much traction and won't do it on ice. I just don't want to damage anything!

8. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    Master Yota

Master Yota The Dude abides.

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport double cab long box
    I bought my truck new in '07 and it's done the same thing since day 1. I've gone through 2 full winters and done some summer 4 wheeling and it still works like a champ.

9. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    grutzmac

grutzmac [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Jackson Hole
    OK, I'm done worrying about it! Funny Story: Yesterday I drove 2 hours to wait 4 hours at Sam's Club to figure out that BFG AT's 265 70 R17 won't quite fit on a stock Tacoma. I thought they'd make it but I was dead wrong! Too bad, the 265 65 17 are kind of hard to find.
    THANKS AGAIN!

10. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    From what I've read the noise is normal and will get smoother the more you use the 4WD system. So far the best way I've found with my automatic is to switch back while coasting in reverse with my foot off the gas...I tried this last time out and it went back in with no noise whatsoever.

06Tacooo likes this.
  11. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Sometimes mine clunks sometimes it doesn't. Pretty sure it's normal.

DrFunker likes this.
  12. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Uh, why not? It's shift on the fly. Probably not the best idea, but doubt it'd hurt anything.

Edit: Also, FWIW mine clunks when disengaging too.

13. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 TRD
    mine clunks sometimes too. ive found the best way to engage and disengage is just to let the truck coast slower than 5 mph in neutral and wait for the light to stop flashing

14. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    news8000

news8000 Active Member

Member:
    Southeast Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4X4 Access Cab Stock
    ON STOCK UNIT: Rear Leaf TSB, Leer Cap w/ Windoors, Michelin LTX M/S on ION 133s, K&N Filter, Cruise, Python Command Start/Alarm, Toyota Class 5 Hitch, Metra IPod Adapter
    I find with my 2006 that the more forward or reverse torque on the drivetrain while engaging/disengaging the transfer case (ie in/out of 4wd on the fly) the louder the "clunk". I can get a silent, or almost silent, shift in/out of 4WD if I'm "drifting" with a light throttle on the move. If there's a hill up or down, rough or soft mud or snow, turning, or the drivetrain is relatively cold, a smooth shift becomes alot trickier and a clunk oftens accompanies the shift.

15. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    could you explain what you mean by "drifting".

16. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    news8000

news8000 Active Member

Member:
    Southeast Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4X4 Access Cab Stock
    ON STOCK UNIT: Rear Leaf TSB, Leer Cap w/ Windoors, Michelin LTX M/S on ION 133s, K&N Filter, Cruise, Python Command Start/Alarm, Toyota Class 5 Hitch, Metra IPod Adapter
    No net torque on the drivetrain. Easier on dry level straight road than in mud/deep snow/upor downhill. If soft ground is resisting travel I find sometimes quickly removing foot from throttle relaxes the drivetrain and helps disengage or engage 4WD. On straight level pavement gently releasing throttle to where I'm "drifting" (no net push/pull on the wheels - this is different than just removing all throttle where engine compression acts to actively slow the vehicle) can assist in a smooth xfer case shift.

17. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    aww1970

aww1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Long Box
    You will get the "clunk" if you shift out or into 4wd when there is load or torque on the drive line. When I shift in and out of 4wd I give it a bit of gas then shift in or out once I take my foot OFF the gas.

Try shifting a manual tranny without the clutch, same thing. You can do it easily when there is no load on the tranny, not so easy when it is under load.

18. Jan 21, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    tinystaco

tinystaco Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma I4 5speed 4x4
    Mine does the same thing. Some times its smooth sometimes its a clunk. It annoys the hell out of me tho. All the time thinking I screwed up the transfer case

19. Jan 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Try not to disengage under load if you do it will "clunk" flat road no hills.

06Tacooo likes this.
  20. Jan 21, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    addicted7369

addicted7369 She Thinks My Tacoma is Sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Middlesex County, N.J.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Sport DCSB 4X4
    Toytek 3" ultimate lift Billstein 1500 coilovers, and Light Racing UCA's with AAL in the rear, Mickey Thompson classic lock III rims with color matched powder coated color rings,with 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires led tail lights , T-Rex Billet grill, HID reverse lights, FLYZEYE V2W led lights, throttle body spacer, and K&N air filter, Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate punch 6 1/2" speakers, 6x9 Rockford Fosgate punch speakers,1 inch Rockford Fosgate prime tweeters, 5%tint all around, CBI rock sliders, Cobra 19 CB with 3' firestik antenna, 6 1/2" lightforce 170's behind grill, redline elite hood struts, retro fit HID projector head light with halos and demon eyes, weather tech floor liners, led interior lights, truxzedo low profile bed cover, rear diff relocation mod, anytime fog light mod.
    I ran General Grabber AT2 265/65R17 on my 06 sport and I'll tell you what they are way better then the BFG'S IMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top