1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loud noise under acceleration and reduced power ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Poodle Head Mikey, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Oct 23, 2017 at 3:38 PM
    Poodle Head Mikey

Poodle Head Mikey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma standard
    utility cap, ladder rack, frame hitch, sliding bed
    2007 2.7 2WD Base auto

Under even moderately hard acceleration there is a Loud 'sucking air' sound. Like a Camaro with the air cleaner left off? Starts and idles as nice as ever. Idles smooth and quiet. Air on or off doesn't matter.

And the power seems to be slowly decreasing. Downshifts for even a slight rise in the road - if I had to guess I would thinking it's only making maybe 60-70HP or so. (I am judging from driving air cooled VW vans <g>)

Any ideas of what it could be? The problem started a few weeks ago and has gotten steadily worse since. Some one local (who didn't see, hear, or drive the truck) offered the idea that maybe the cat. convertor is plugged up? There is no sign of exhaust leakage underneath - and it's not really an 'exhaust noise' type sound. It sounds most like a wide open carburetor sucking in air.

Any suggests as to were to start looking?

2. Oct 23, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    Harry

Harry Science, Bitches

Member:
    Santa Fe NM
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Under the hood.

:D

Snark aside - have a buddy rev the engine while you are looking/listening to try and trace the sound.

Jimmyh likes this.
  3. Oct 23, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    Plugged cat !!!

Jcyr likes this.
  4. Oct 23, 2017 at 3:53 PM
    Boyk1182

Boyk1182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    Agreed. Had this happen on a Jeep, straight piped it and it had more power than ever.

US Marine[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    If it's making a loud Hissing sound your cat is plugged , the hissing sound is exh pressure trying to force thru the exh gaskets

If you can loosen bolts to cat converter (engine side - inlet ) , if engine responds /revs easier then that is your problem

6. Oct 23, 2017 at 3:59 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Typical symptoms of a few different events I've experienced over the years on various marquees.

Clogged fuel filter. Always reveals itself at higher load/speeds first, where more fuel is needed. But not often a noise maker.

Failing cat. When fully failed vehicle may not even start. But failing/partially blocked, like the fuel filter, higher load/speeds is a problem. With noise.

Failing muffler. Yea, sounds stupid, but like the cat, the guts can deteriorate and clog the exhaust flow.

Failing harmonic balancer. Allows timing to move/retard at higher load/RPMs and suck power levels down to nothing. Sometimes this pending failure can be spotted just by looking at the crank pulley at idle, as it would wobble, and worsen with rising RPM.

When you post questions like this, including vehicle mileage, how long you have personally owned it, and some basic maintenance history is usually helpful in our guessing.

Let us know what you find.

7. Oct 23, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    Chuckyuen

Chuckyuen Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Access Cab TRD OR
    Sounds like a clogged catalytic converters to me too. Happened to my Syclone and it got so bad I had to floor it just to go 30mph.

8. Oct 23, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    Chuckyuen

Chuckyuen Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    I still have it. Only 67000 miles on it. It’s a blast to drive.

balljoint and SOSC like this.
  9. Oct 23, 2017 at 6:38 PM
    Chuckyuen

Chuckyuen Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    I still have it. Only 67000 miles on it. It’s a blast to drive.

10. Oct 24, 2017 at 5:13 AM
    Poodle Head Mikey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma standard
    I tried that. Under the hood looking / listening I mean. When I did the noise sounded like it was more underneath. So then I listened under there. At which time it seemed like it was more under the hood. <g>

11. Oct 24, 2017 at 5:21 AM
    Poodle Head Mikey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma standard
    My tendency would be to think: all the exhaust parts are the same age, I wouldn't replace one tire - so . . . . time for a whole new exhaust system. But the fact that I have customer's screaming at me, guest rooms in my house still under construction, my son's wedding this coming weekend, and 500 grilled hotdogs to give out on Halloween, and . . . I have to be in Florida (by air <g>) by 11/4 - I have a short-cut question:

Is there any risk of harm to this truck (2007 2.7) or any of it's systems which removing only the cat conv. and replacing it with a piece of pipe? Florida registration on this truck so no vehicle inspection to contend with. If the truck will be OK until then I can just replace the cat along with the rest of the exhaust - say; in the spring.

12. Oct 24, 2017 at 5:26 AM
    Boyk1182

Boyk1182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    Well my Jeep got so bad it couldn't get past about 30 mph. After cutting the cat out, it ran fine. I honestly don't know what problems it might cause (less backpressure, etc) but I don't think it's too harmful. People do this all the time when their cats are fine, just to get rid of it.

13. Oct 24, 2017 at 5:34 AM
    Poodle Head Mikey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma standard
    Are you really in Clearwater? I'll be in Tarpon/Holiday/NPR in a week or so. <g>

2007 Tacoma Base w/2.7 auto. Purchased about 2012 with about 100K showing. Immediately changed to Mobil 1 and 235/75 LTX's and an aluminum mini spare. Air filter and Maybe a few filter - I can't be positive about the fuel filter though. Presently showing about 165K. Change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals. Some odds and ends repairs over the years. Had an idler noise so I replaced the water pump and all those related pulley's and the belts. Oh; and pressure washed the radiator. New hoses and thermostat and rad. cap. Brakes all around once - fronts maybe twice. And new u-joints one time. I drive it fast but not hard. It has an aluminum work cap and likely 750 lbs. in it all the time. To the best of my knowledge the exhaust is original. Which makes the fact that it looks perfect to me even more amazing. <g>

14. Oct 24, 2017 at 6:06 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Was this a sudden problem or has the truck been down on power for a while and now you're just realizing things aren't right? I agree with the guy that said to loosen the bolts on the exhaust or separate it just before the cat to see if giving the exhaust an unrestricted path solves your problem. If it does, you've found the problem.

One thing I'd also urge you to look at is your intake tube and make sure all pieces are properly connected. I own a 4.0 V6 Tacoma so I'm not terribly familiar with it's intake layout, but I've experienced a situation where the intake tube became disconnected on my Lexus IS300. The engine was getting more air than it had ever seen but the MAF sensor wasn't because it was located in the part of the intake that was disconnected. Thus, the car didn't think it was getting ANY air and ran like absolute dog shit because the ECU was shitting itself. That would also explain the air noise too since at that point you wouldn't be pulling air through a filter or baffle chamber.

15. Oct 24, 2017 at 6:09 AM
    bluezzy

bluezzy Love My SuperCharged 07 Sport!

Member:
    First Name:
    Monty
    Eugene, Oregon
    MPGs might take a dreadful hit.

16. Oct 24, 2017 at 8:17 AM
    Poodle Head Mikey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma standard
    Thanks but right now I have a lot more gas money than I do garage-time. <g>

17. Oct 24, 2017 at 8:30 AM
    Poodle Head Mikey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma standard
    Funny that you mention that . . . .

For some time there has been an increasing noise, heard more inside the cab, which I was vaguely interpreting as "a buzzy rattle" type sound. Something like what a loose heat shield might cause. None of the heat shields were loose and the noise only happened under high speed acceleration - most especially when, say; passing someone quickly on a two-lane at maybe 60 mph. Or rushing up a mountain highway.

This present sound sort of has some of the same qualities but with the 'no air cleaner small block intake' sucking-air-sound added to it.

Of course now that I am focused on it I think: hmmmm . . . . maybe there Has been slowly decreasing power . . . maybe . . . . <g>

It's pouring rain out this morning but I want to take another peek under as son as it clears up a bit. Because in my memory there is nothing to un-bolt - the exhaust is all welded joints end to end.

No wait: just that quick I can remember seeing a bolt mostly rotted away and thinking when I saw it: Sure looks like it would be a bastard to get That nut off. <g>

Also; funny you mention the intake. It crosses over the top of the engine and so, not too long ago when I was going to replace the spark plugs, I had taken it apart for access. But I've very recently re-checked all the joints and found them secure. It was the "sucking air" sound which made me want to backtrack to the intake.

I think there's a break in the weather - be right back.

[QUOTE="ItalynStylion, post: 16316388, member: 18467"1]Was this a sudden problem or has the truck been down on power for a while and now you're just realizing things aren't right? I agree with the guy that said to loosen the bolts on the exhaust or separate it just before the cat to see if giving the exhaust an unrestricted path solves your problem. If it does, you've found the problem.

One thing I'd also urge you to look at is your intake tube and make sure all pieces are properly connected. I own a 4.0 V6 Tacoma so I'm not terribly familiar with it's intake layout, but I've experienced a situation where the intake tube became disconnected on my Lexus IS300. The engine was getting more air than it had ever seen but the MAF sensor wasn't because it was located in the part of the intake that was disconnected. Thus, the car didn't think it was getting ANY air and ran like absolute dog shit because the ECU was shitting itself. That would also explain the air noise too since at that point you wouldn't be pulling air through a filter or baffle chamber.[/QUOTE]

18. Oct 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    Poodle Head Mikey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma standard
    In spraying all the bolts and nuts with Kroil I saw that my down-pipe is bolted to my exhaust manifold with longish bolts pushing on coil springs. The springs are what apply tension to hold the down-pipe flange up against exhaust manifold flange. Thinking mechanically: that seems like a pressure-relief system. Does anyone here know the exact Toyota-Reason? <g>

But if the design intent IS to relieve excess exhaust pressure (say; in the event of a clogged cat. <g>) I am wondering now if that pressure Being relieved is what I heard start small and become gradually louder and eventually reduce the engine's power somehow?

No one had the OEM cat piece in stock. It's an assembly from the exhaust manifold flange thru the cat. thru what I guess is a small resonator (looks like a cat without a heat shield) and then to a flange just ahead of the (really large) muffler. So I got a pipe, a coupling and some clamps the exact size of the after-market cat. they did have in stock.

19. Oct 24, 2017 at 10:55 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I believe the spring bolts are more for flex so it doesn't break at the flange but I'm not 100% on that.

Why not get under there with someone in the drivers seat. Have them rev the engine up to 4krpm or something and see if you feel or hear any exhaust escaping the flange. Easy, takes 2 whole minutes.

20. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Stop at an auto parts store and have them put a code reader on it. If any codes show up, you know where to start. If not. I'd guess it's the exhaust.

Products Discussed in

To Top