1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lovin my toco now trans fixed

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by martinh, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Nov 11, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    martinh

martinh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2018 MBP Limited
    The farkles have started and on order
    I have a 16 taco and was hating do to the transmission issue. It was constantly shifting and between 2nd 3rd it would slip. When I tried to switch lanes in traffic I prayed it would move and not just sit there and lag.

I went to the dealer the other week and asked them to reset the trans cause that would fix it for a while. They told me there was a new firmware update they put in and reset the trans to relearn. Holly crap the truck came alive, I put the pedal down and the truck to shifted like should and it just took off like a bat out of hell. It has been shifting perfectly, the truck came alive and is using all the horsepower it has. After 2 weeks it is still working well, it has acted up a couple of times but, I think Toyota is final fixing the shifiting problems. Ive put on almost a 1000 mile since the upgrade so I will see if it stays.

Gator352 and Nunya Bizness like this.
  2. Nov 11, 2018 at 7:03 PM
    wsutaco

wsutaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD ORDCSB
    About to go in for Toyota care 5000 mile rotation and inspection. How can I get the update? The other day I was going through a yellow light and I hit the gas and it jerked and barely made it through. Cop behind me probably thought I was an idiot.

3. Nov 11, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    martinh

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2018 MBP Limited
    Just tell them your problems with trans an s ask them to do the firmware upgrade it just came out. The service guy at the counter didn't know there was an update until the service guy looked into it.

4. Nov 11, 2018 at 8:26 PM
    wfo4ever

wfo4ever Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    I wonder if they have it for my 2018 TRD Sport. It also stumbles sometimes when you first start driving it and you are going up a hill. I have learned you need to just floor it or put it into sport mode. It runs so much better in sport mode. I hope they have an up date for mine as I am getting ready to have the first service next month. Thinking about installing a K&N Air Filter in it, has anybody else done this and is it worth doing?

5. Nov 12, 2018 at 2:12 AM
    Bernie3761

Bernie3761 Member

Member:
    Some guys are saying that the trans goes back to the old ways after a few months.

6. Nov 12, 2018 at 2:19 AM
    Riotfunk

Riotfunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD off road
    Everyday it's the same thread retitled lol

DeltaBravo likes this.
  7. Nov 12, 2018 at 6:37 AM
    Thatnoobguy

Thatnoobguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhere
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma trd off road with “premium” audio :|
    12 in sub for actual bass
    Going in this Saturday for 10k service hope they can can do it. I'm excited

8. Nov 12, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    Okanagan55

Okanagan55 Orange is the New Black

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno TRD Sport
    I have a 2016 and did the first update for the transmission issues around 2 years ago, it was an improvement but really only a minor improvement. I know there have been a few new TSB issued for the automatic but watching the forum and the varied results I figured I would continue driving in sport mode and wait
    Well this last week I decided to have the conversation with the service department and see what was going on. I just asked if there was an up to date update for all the transmission issues. I was asked if I was having any issues, and my comment was, would you like the list? They just smiled and said yes we have an update for you. I was not expecting such a redical change to how the truck drives but have to admit it’s really a significant update. The transmission can now be driven in the normal drive selection, who’d figure this was even possible. The other significant change is throttle response, fantastic, I can drive it like it supposed to be driven. No more trying to bury the pedal through the floorboard. The jerking or hesitation around 60 to 70 k/hr is also gone. That was really annoying. I will have to look for which update was applied, of course it’s the Canuck version
    Let’s just hope it stays this way and improvements continue
    Cheers from the almost frozen North

wfo4ever likes this.
  9. Dec 4, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    martinh

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2018 MBP Limited
    Well Bernie, they are right. Trans is starting to act up again but not as bad as before. I found after driving in traffic a few days it started acting up. Toyota needs to do something about this. I have found that is also does not shift out of 5 gear on the highway. I put in manual mode/standard mode and the trans
    shifts correctly. When I get a chance I'll talk the the dealer about this again.

10. Dec 10, 2018 at 11:46 PM
    martinh

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2018 MBP Limited
    Well I won't be complaining about my taco, it just got totaled. I had a tractor trailer rear end me. The asshole never braked, the truck got smashed on the front and back. All the air bags deployed, how hard I was hit the cop said I was very lucky.

11. Dec 10, 2018 at 11:56 PM
    Rob Daman

Rob Daman The Taco Formerly Known as Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    17 OR 6MT
    a lot
    aw dang. glad you made it out. The taco did it's job.

Products Discussed in

To Top