1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low beams for DRL?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by joes06tacoma, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I want to add DRL to my truck, but don't want to have the melting lens issue everyone talks about. I am also a cheap bastid:D. So I was thinking about rigging a standard bosch type relay ($3) to just jump the two contacts on the headlight switch whenever the ignition is on and the park brake is off. Has anyone done it already? Wondering how hard it is to access the wiring and if I am missing something that will get screwed up if I try this.

2. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    [​IMG]

30,000 miles

3. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Yeah, my 09 Tacoma I have at work is fine too after 57K.

Wish we knew why some of them melt and some don't.

4. Dec 15, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    BRYLONATOR

BRYLONATOR Building 06 Suburban K2500 with LBZ D-max and ZF6!

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    The Tacos never came with auto headlight on off feature but if you leave the headlight switch to the on position...they turn on the moment you turn the key and turn off the moment you remove the key and open the door. This is my DRL solution!

5. Dec 15, 2011 at 11:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    I've been doing that. What bothers me is the interior lights come on and the clock and compass/temp gauge dim. I find myself flipping the lights off and back on so I can see the temp or clock when driving during the day with the lights on.

I figured out how to make just the low beams come on automatically. To make it completely seamless would take 3 or 4 relays. Unless I can figure out how to use the factory drl signal from the body control module. Then it might be only two relays. But probably would have to buy the factory harness to plug into the BCU. At that point, may as well just spend the 60 bucks for the factory turn signal drl kit and pray the lenses don't melt.

Products Discussed in

To Top