1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

low rpm sputter and hesitation

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by luke8603, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Jul 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    luke8603

luke8603 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    luke
    cape cod
    Vehicle:
    01 trd taco
    ome 881s, 2" AAL, All pro UCAs, deckplate, grey wire
    Hey guy I have a problem I'm trying to track down in my 2001 Tacoma 3.4 4wd
    Fueled up a week ago and my truck didn't run in quite right shortly after filling up.
    I got to work sprayed 3 trucks and when I went to leave my truck started but ran terrible and threw a cylinder 3 misfire code, so for laughs I changed the suspect coil pack and it was a little better than before so then I added injector cleaner cleaned maf and air filter as well as filling with super. Truck runs better but still something is causing a hesitation and sputter at low rpm
    ?
    Any ideas?

2. Jul 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Check for codes first. Just to be sure. I have seen a bad TPS sensor cause a similar problem, but take that with a grain of salt, not a hard set rule.

3. Jul 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    luke8603

luke8603 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    luke
    cape cod
    Vehicle:
    01 trd taco
    that is a possibility... I just find it slightly odd that it only started doing it immediately after fueling. I think ill try the fuel filter because it did look like the fuel truck had dropped fuel there that morning

4. Jul 16, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    i have been battling the same issue for a while now. hesitation when going from idle to acceleration after i get past like 1500rpm and im moving i get no hesitation. No codes so its just a shot in the dark for me. I have done fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, TPS, cleaned injectors, next will be distributor and IAC i hope one of those fixes it.

5. Jul 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Understandable how it is looked at that way. Lots of things just "happen" after you do something. I have seen people say they stopped for gas and then the car didn't want to start, so they had it towed in screaming how they were going to sue the gas station for repairs. Come to find out their theft system had gone into default due to a bad key while they were driving. Wouldn't have mattered if they stopped for gas, food, or to take a leak. When they shut of the car it was NOT going to restart.

Not saying this is a case for you, just saying that it COULD be coincidence as a possibility. What I would also consider is if you filled up and this happened shortly after, take a fuel sample and have it tested. Could be simply bad fuel or water in the gas. So many possibilities of course, but again, start with the basics: Air/fuel/spark. Air - low chance of change just by fueling up. Fuel - bad fuel, water in fuel, fuel pump starting to get weak, etc. Spark - plugs, wires, coil.

6. Jul 17, 2013 at 3:40 AM
    luke8603

luke8603 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    luke
    cape cod
    Vehicle:
    01 trd taco
    Update
    I filled up at a different gas station then I normally do. Truck took about 17 gallons with in 15ish minutes of driving the difference was night and day. Not perfect but considerably better

7. Jul 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    luke8603

luke8603 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    luke
    cape cod
    Vehicle:
    01 trd taco
    now for new update I was just driving down the highway 70 miles per hour and I threw a random multiple cylinder misfire code for number 2And3 cylinder and I have no idea what to do about it is it possible that it's a bad ground if so where should I start looking

Products Discussed in

To Top