1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lower ball joints leaking - need advice

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DTacoms, Oct 19, 2009.

1. May 27, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    My ball joint boots look the same as the OP's but the alignment tech says the ball joints are fine.

2. Nov 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    I have the same issue. I don't really do any wheeling, I keep my truck garaged and clean, I bought it new in early '06 and it now has just 50K miles, so I attribute the leaking LBJs to my top-coil spacer (Fat Bob's version of ReadyLift). I'll be purchasing Moog ball joints from Rock Auto, but I'm dreading pressing the old joints out and the new joints in. There's very little on this process here in TW, but what I did find indicated that it's a big PITA. We'll see . . .

3. Feb 19, 2018 at 12:41 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Revive time.

Got a tire patched today, small screw. Guy at the tire shop said I had a leak in my lower ball joint.. said both weren't urgent but need some attention.

I think it's just seepage. I'll clean em up and take a look. Anything specific to look for ?

4. Nov 23, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    Suicyco

Suicyco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 ac 4x4
    Was it a pain?

5. Dec 31, 2019 at 6:00 PM
    DR Da_da

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    Yes, it was. The AutoZone rental ball joint press kit didn't have the exact size presses I needed. Also, the press' handle was too short to get any real leverage on things. Fortunately, a buddy dropped in to assist me (I initially attempted it by myself) and he brought a "cheater" bar to really lay into things. I had to hammer out my old ball joints. Getting the new joints in squarely was a pain - I'd get them started with good alignment, but as soon as I applied torque to press them in they would shift/tilt off-center. I kept having to re-center them and start over. We eventually got it, however. Just be patient and persistent.

Suicyco[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 2, 2020 at 5:58 PM
    Dirtridercrf250

Dirtridercrf250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The kit they rent works fine. The cup doesnt exactly fit the LCA but if you use a screw driver as a spacer on the back side it works GREAT.

20191026_130135.jpg

7. Jan 2, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    DR Da_da

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I’m glad your kit worked great for you. Like I said, mine didn’t. It was missing adapters.

Products Discussed in

To Top