1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ls vs positive traction

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by mat, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    mat

mat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    elite offroad front bumper, tool box, rustoleum bed liner, fog lights, alpine head unit, homemade bed extender
    Hey everybody i thought i would share this experience to make sure there are no flaws in my logic. I went to an auto shop today to ask how much it would cost to install a detroit trutrac ls diff. The mechanic told me that my truck probably already had a ls. I told him that it was an open diff and he asked if one wheel was in the mud and the other was on pavement if the one in the mud would spin. I told him it would. apparently this was proof that i had a ls. Then i told him that this ls was supposed to offer partial lock up and he told me that a locking differential was i device to keep you from burning up your differential. However he did tell me that positive traction was great. They are the same damn thing are they not? But he said that even if i didnt have a ls already he probably couldnt install one because it would throw codes. How the fuck would the computer system know when there is no sensor to tell it that? Please tell me if im wrong about this stuff but im pretty sure he was. Thank you

2. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    mat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    elite offroad front bumper, tool box, rustoleum bed liner, fog lights, alpine head unit, homemade bed extender
    I searched for it earlier and it hadnt showed up on the threads started by me page. sorry

3. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    That mechanic should never be allowed near your truck again!

4. Mar 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    mat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    thats what i told my mom. He overcharges so much but she loves him for some reason

Products Discussed in

To Top