1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LSD OIL? Syn blend ok???

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TRD6Speed, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Aug 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed [OP] senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    So I have a 2008 TRD Sport and I am approaching 60k and need/want to change out the dif oil. I am aware I need to get an additive which I will be looking for tomorrow. My question is can I used a synthetic blend without any issue?

I have 3qts of Super Tech 75w-90 Synthetic Blend(GL-5) I picked up at walmart.

So again.....can i use the synthetic blend with no issues? I know some complain about a howl or chrip if full synthetic is used some say their mobil 1 is fine. I dont tow often or offroad often.....on occasian only.

2. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I'd run it, add some friction modifier and the do some circle 8s.

3. Aug 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    TheHansen

TheHansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    Everyone on here seems to say if you run synthetic it will cause a chatter. I changed my gear oil when I bought my truck used and I'm almost positive thati had royal purple in there. Ivdidnt have any chatter. I've put in both and noticed no difference driving with either.

4. Aug 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    TRD6Speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    Im gonna run it with the equa-torque additive................if it works good I'll put some feedback on here as I see lots of confusing info on here. If it chatters or acts up I'll just try a new combo. I found a couple people on other sites that own 2nd gens that used this combo with good results. Esp since I dont tow or do hard wheeling this should work just fine at the 30k interval.

We will see:)

5. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    TRD6Speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Scratch that.............GF returned the stuff before I even woke up.......kinda glad. Seeing thta NO ONE put in any direct experience with it or really had anything "technical" to say about the BLEND part of it I am going to Pepboys where they have tons of selection. Gonna still grab the equa-torque additive probably but get another oil. maybe go 80-90 as I see lots of people use. I'll update this thread with my experience as time goes by.

to be continued........

6. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Dino, synthetic, or blend all work for normal driving. Synthetic may retain its properties better than dino oil at high temps, good if you tow frequently or do a lot of burnouts.

7. Aug 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    80w-90 will be fine too

Typically synthetics also resist throw off more as well so helps when you're spinning your tires aggressively or especially just one tire.

Honestly though I'm sure any way you go will be fine.

8. Aug 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    TRD6Speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Not "probably" on a additive just on the brand.....went to Pep boys.....sucks unless you want chrome tips or air fresheners. Auto zone had trans X rated for GM, Chevy and most imports.....called dealer.......bingo!!!! they have 4oz bottles of FORD:eek::eek::eek: rated friction modifier. Had it added to my breather mod supplies.

Toyota oil is MOBIL MADE i was told so mobil 1 or Royal Purple is fine....blend is fine he said.

Honestly I prob should have kept the 5 dollar stuff from walmart but my GF saw how obsessed I was about it last night that she returned it and forced my hand lol.....Now I will spend 20 a quart on the good stuff cuz I just dont wanna risk it. I dont do alot of burnouts.....but I play hard on the rare occasian I find a place to offroad in godforsaken CT. Thanks gents.....Im glad I found that additve too......if the dealer uses it then I atleast know its correct. Im putting it in myself though for the same reason.....to do it correct.

9. Aug 10, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    toyotech

toyotech Boblito

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Icon Stage 6 Lift w/ Tubular UCAs, Method Standards, Timbren Bumpstops, All Pro U-Bolt Flip, Crown SS Extended Brake Lines, All Pro e-Locker Guard, N-Fab Bed Lightbar w/ Rigid 40", Rigid 30" in Bumper, Rigid Duallys on SDHQ Hinge Mounts, N-Fab Spare Tire Carrier, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Interior LEDs, Painless Aux Fuseblock
    Synthetic or dino is fine. Make sure it meets the specs and add the friction modifier if its not in the oil. TRD reccomended the GM modifier (from the dealer) in the past. Also, you have to do the figure 8s to coat the clutches with modifier or it will chatter.

Products Discussed in

To Top