1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LSD or Diff Lock for snow???

Discussion in 'New Members' started by El Taco, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Feb 22, 2009 at 10:55 PM
    El Taco

El Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    STP MN
    hello all. i'm a newbie here. i've been looking and looking and researchin' around but can can't find a good solid solution to my needs. i have read bits and pieces here and there, trying to peace out what i would like for my truck. i have learned alot as well too but.........

i have an '01 taco prerunner x-cab v6 (non trd). i live in mn and the snow can get really bad sometimes. i have owned a '96 taco 4x4 before but totaled that one(too bad, loved that one). now i'm with this prerunner. i like her, she's a beauty and i find that i don't hardly use 4x4 throughout the year. i also do alot of hunting but nothing to where i may get stuck in mud, some rough terrains but mostly not too bad.

i mostly do on-road driving, she's my daily, but also use her for hunting as well. since she has only an open diff, and the snow here can get really bad at times, should i get a diff lock or an LSD?

i have read from posts that an LSD sucks off road (snow/hunting terrain) but good on road. on the other hand, a diff is bad on road but great off road. my main concern is having the best traction from my 2wd to get me out of a bad snow/mild mud situation but also be a daily driver. which of these two (LSD or diff lock) is my best option?

i have read about the different diff locks as well and i have a mixed feeling for them. something like wearing out the drive axle parts and tires. an LSD, although maybe great on-road, may not be as great in the snow. which is the beast option for my needs.

of course, i have good AT tires and weight down the rear but would also like to have that extra traction mechanism to the rear drive axels.

any and all inputs are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Feb 22, 2009 at 11:06 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    There are a lot of plusses and minuses about either set up. The basic difference is that the limited slip axles are always ready to go when you need them, which makes them better for icy roads. The locking differential is stronger, but you have to actively engage it, which means it's better for situations where you know that you'll need it before you get yourself in a bind. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either setup. But if you feel like you need to just make your truck as safe to drive in the Minnesota winters as possible, go with the limited slip option.

3. Feb 22, 2009 at 11:19 PM
    El Taco

El Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    STP MN
    thanks Dustin.

any more out there...........

i also forgot to mention (in my long @ss) thread that, although i really would like a trd rear end or an arb air locker, i probably can't afford it now. with both, all the complications and of course, the cost. IF, i were to go with the diff lock option, it would probably be some sort of mechanical diff locks. plus, what kinds of diff locks are there? according to my research, not there are the ones that 'disengage' when cornering and then 'kick in' when you're stuck. and then there are the ones with the 'full lock at all times' types. is this right or which ones are the best for 'daily' driving.

also, IF i was to go with the LSD route, which one would be the 'better' one?

i'm still doing more research and i'll re-post back soon. in the meantime, keep the thoughts coming.

4. Feb 23, 2009 at 12:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    For daily driving & snow - go with the LSD.

5. Feb 23, 2009 at 10:07 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    x2, for what you've described both would work pretty much equally. The only advantage to a locker would be if your going to do more 4x4ing. The LSD will provide 50/50 power most of the time unless a wheel comes off the ground. However I don't know that the price would be a lot less for a LSD?

6. Feb 24, 2009 at 2:09 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Welcome to TW :wave:

7. Feb 24, 2009 at 3:01 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    welcome to TW. I would say go with a limited slip.

Products Discussed in

To Top