1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lt front, archive garage lt rear.

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by summithightacoma22, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Jan 24, 2020 at 1:37 AM
    summithightacoma22

summithightacoma22 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 grey tacoma trd sport
    front +2 allpro long travel with kings. Marlin crawler lca reinforcements, alpine design cab mount. All pro spindle and upper control arm reinforcements. Willwood 6 piston front calipers and 2 piece rotors. rear 7 pack expedition soa, 12 2.5s, archive garage shock relocation kit. Archive garage shackle flip kit. wheels 285/75/17 geolander g0003 on 17x9 with a zero offset. engine bay. antigravity atx hd-20 lithium battery arb high capacity air compressor. 3* exhaust cam timing. intake spacer custom stuff custom made sliders, custom bed rack system, custom drawer and bed system, modified mounts for arawak awning. Fiberglass/lexan cap door. Boxed out frame in spots I could reach. soon to be a chopped bed at the rear axle interior -lathewerks co polymer stainless shift knob, modified from a wrx to fit. -pioneer mid and treble speaker replacement. -future mods -4.56 gears arb front and rear lockers -traction bar for the rear. -full carbon front clip. -supercharger eventually.
    I guess this is a little hype. I bought my taco new in 13. Since then it is now at 100,000 thru various adventures in sand, snow, dirt, and pavement of coloRADO, the suspension components that are left are shot. My total chaos upper arms and icon coils need to be repaired/new bushings/serviced, etc. the mog lower arms are just junk, seized, bushing shredding junk.
    I was looking at the total chaos +2 expedition kit to replace my stock arms and just get everything I needed to repaired...…..Then a guy on craigslist put up a set of all pro off road +2 arms he wasn't going to use and couldn't return for 2200 which was cheaper for new arms and control arms than the expedition lowers from total chaos. So I Snagged those. I am Denver based, so I stopped by toytec which had some lt adjustable kings in stock for pick up at 2041 total. For some reason the all pro axles are almost 200 bucks cheaper than any other option so I snagged those for 515 shipped. While I have everything apart I decided it is a good time to do bearings, and tie rods...hopefully my steering rack is not the thing that is horrendously vibrating at 50+ miles an hour.
    SO all in for the lt kit I am at 4730, which to me is a lot more reasonable than the 6k I have been quoted at over the years. If I can get my stock icons and total chaos arms repaired and sell those for 1500 life would be even better.
    I am waiting on some parts to arrive on Saturday, but I plan to have my baby apart in my back yard on jacks with no front suspension to speak of over the weekend and do it nice and relaxed with beer, music and dog breaks for figuring and not getting frustrated. I am very excited to put together this adult lego project in a space that is mine stress free af with a full 72 hours of time available.
    Anyways I attached some ghetto spoiler pics of 4000 in parts. I will be updating this as I get it done, I still have to get gas for the little mig welder, and some paint pens for bolt marking. Hopefully someone may pay attention and give me some pointers, as I at some point will rush her to do some figuring. I have already done 90% of what I am planning b/c of the previous set up, including replacing a cv.0124200212a.jpg 0124200212.jpg If this goes smoothly I plan to move on to part sourcing for the components to build a 14 inch travel rear that doesn't go into the bed.

20tacoma17 and magneticwhite88 like this.
  2. Jan 24, 2020 at 9:50 AM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner, 1996 Tacoma
    Fun stuff!

I would recommend doing cam tab gussets. Or at the very least, weld the back of the stock ones. I've seen the stock ones let go in the Desert. Had to re align buddys truck with a tow strap.

3. Jan 24, 2020 at 10:12 AM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    front +2 allpro long travel with kings. Marlin crawler lca reinforcements, alpine design cab mount. All pro spindle and upper control arm reinforcements. Willwood 6 piston front calipers and 2 piece rotors. rear 7 pack expedition soa, 12 2.5s, archive garage shock relocation kit. Archive garage shackle flip kit. wheels 285/75/17 geolander g0003 on 17x9 with a zero offset. engine bay. antigravity atx hd-20 lithium battery arb high capacity air compressor. 3* exhaust cam timing. intake spacer custom stuff custom made sliders, custom bed rack system, custom drawer and bed system, modified mounts for arawak awning. Fiberglass/lexan cap door. Boxed out frame in spots I could reach. soon to be a chopped bed at the rear axle interior -lathewerks co polymer stainless shift knob, modified from a wrx to fit. -pioneer mid and treble speaker replacement. -future mods -4.56 gears arb front and rear lockers -traction bar for the rear. -full carbon front clip. -supercharger eventually.
    cam tab gussets got done at like 40k, they literally went out that quick. I didn't get any kit or anything for it, I just welded on some extra steel around the brackets and it seems to be holding up. To note, I have a full partial garage of things at this point for various projecting.

Jon64l[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 27, 2020 at 2:47 PM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    Had some delays. was waiting on a part. tomorrow is the start as I have an appointment for Friday for an alignment and brakeline work that I don't have tools for. Expect a barrage of pictures tomorrow.

0127201542.jpg

magneticwhite88 likes this.
  5. Jan 27, 2020 at 6:15 PM
    magneticwhite88

magneticwhite88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    Gonna be doing my install coming up soon, I'll be sure to follow yours!

6. Jan 28, 2020 at 11:44 AM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    it has begun. step one for me is always to get the truck up and get everything lubed up...then wait a good 10-20 mins. Snagged a decent impact for this project, I am already into the 20v and 60v line for various contractor tools and yard tools. This little guy took of wheels no problem. I am excited to use its compact size and strength thru the project to make things quicker. My back yards my little spot, just enough room to squeeze her in there. And it is a beautiful day in Denver.

0128201211.jpg
    0128201224_HDR.jpg
    0128201204.jpg

Attached Files:

MattCowsmasher likes this.
  7. Jan 28, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    when I take the axle shafts out of the diff am I going to leak diff fluid. should I drain my diff before taking out the axles?

MattCowsmasher likes this.
  8. Jan 28, 2020 at 12:28 PM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Lifted, armored, lumenz w/ switches, positraked, long legged, big tars, debadged with a hood skewp
    It will leak some but don’t have to drain it just top it off when your done with the front end.

9. Jan 28, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    got one side off today. Working on the axle swap tonight. I don't have any good pipe to bang out the outside axel from the retaining clip. Anyone have any thoughts. Otherwise a very straightforward install. Getting around to welding tomorrow.

lengthcompare3.jpg
    lengthcompare2.jpg
    LENGTHcompare.jpg

magneticwhite88 likes this.
  10. Jan 28, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    magneticwhite88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    You keeping that color or painting them black?

I've seen a few mentions about a pry bar but can definitely cause unnecessary damage if not careful, how about hammer and some rope

11. Jan 28, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    explain the hammer and rope. I was thinking ducttape and washer and get it the same say the inner comes out of the diff. The banging it on a pipe method isn't working.

12. Jan 28, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    magneticwhite88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    Misread what you said earlier, thought you were trying to remove the cv axle

13. Jan 29, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    update....well I cant get my axles apart so I have a shop appointment tomorrow. It started snowing...of course Colorado. My buddies little mig 135 did the job.. although the duty cycle is horrific. But welding at home in the back yard is nicer than taking it to a shop. Only hiccup so far seems to be getting the axle out. I am sure getting the limiting clevis strap operation will be annoying. And mounting the shock reservoir? any recommendations, it seems to want to sit at an odd spot not super protected slightly under the mount for the front bumper.

together minus axles.jpg
    raw.jpg
    axlebull.jpg
    welding.jpg

Gruber1922 likes this.
  14. Feb 2, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    magneticwhite88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    Any update?

15. Feb 4, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    you indeed need a 20 ton shop press to do this job.

0204201829.jpg
    0204201829a.jpg

16. Feb 8, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    20 ton doesn't do the job either apparently

press20ton.jpg

17. Feb 10, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    So it is literally impossible to get the Toyota outer cv off the axle according to pretty much everyone I have talked to. I managed to find a company locally here in Denver that sells just the outer cv for tacomas in a 29 or 30 spline. The 29 worked for me. The company cvj charged me 170 bucks for the two. If your doing this at home it is your best bet for the long travel axles. The company is called cvj they are in Denver their phone number is 1800-292-2953 their local number is 303-297-2448. Wish I had know about this company 3 weeks ago when I started.

The kit I got was apparently for a 16 plus Tacoma. They changed the cam bolt set ups on the new truck. So all I am waiting on is some bushings from all pro offroad and I should be all good to go. Cheers!, I am looking forward to being able to drive it this weekend finally.

axles together.jpg

Dalandser and NewToTheScene like this.
  18. Feb 20, 2020 at 7:43 PM
    summithightacoma22

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    denver
    Vehicle:
    after a month of projecting when I get chances and alot of trouble shooting I kind of expected the project is finally on the ground. Taking it in tomorrow for an alignment and to get the brake lines worked on. I am stoked. I mainly went to this set up for hopefully a nicer ride on these terrible Colorado roads. In the next week I will be welding in the draw sliders to the cage and bed system I need to work on. If I have some left over monies I might grab some stuff for the rear. But honestly the rear is in good shape and has another 20k before it needs to be touched so I am really not inclined to do much. I will get some pics up tomorrow after the alignment and brakes n stuff. Cheers. If anyone has any intall questions at this point I think I have a pretty firm grasp on this project.

WalkinTaco, LTDSC and Dalandser like this.
  19. Feb 27, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    WalkinTaco

WalkinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR M/T
    I have a +2 front (and the archive rear) waiting to go on. reading through the directions it looks like your supposed to cut the shaft, pull the cage out and press from the back side. Maybe its easier to press it out from the back? Buying a complete outer CV sounds a hell of a lot easier though.

Products Discussed in

To Top