1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LT or P...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ttylerr, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Jul 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    I'm looking to get a new set of wheels and tires in the very near future, i'm just wondering if i should stick with P rated tires since i do 80% highway driving, or LT because i really want to start doing some offroading... Going with the Ps saves me almost $60 per tire... but will they stand up to some moderate off roading? i'm not looking to do any rock crawling with them, mostly trails and maybe some mud.
    Opinions? Experiences?
    Thanks for the help!

2. Jul 10, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yes P tires will most likely fit your purpose. They will be a bit more compliant on the trails but that makes them more comfortable on the streets. The P will also last a bit longer cause they are more suited to road use.

They are usually a bit lighter too...A good All Terrain P tire should be fine for trails and mud.

3. Jul 10, 2009 at 3:30 PM
    SoCalBlack08

SoCalBlack08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    i thought the LT lasted longer cuz they had a thicker tread and a little more tread?

4. Jul 10, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The couple of sets of LT I've used were softer compounds than a P tire- P tires are made for cement and LTs are made to the towing/offroading stuff...as I understand it.

I could be wrong tho...I've only had one set (Bridgestones) that I got both Ps and LTs....

5. Jul 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    ...P's it is!

6. Jul 10, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I concur- The 60 bucks per tire means you can buy a full size spare with the money you save...and if you aren't pushing the envelope you should be fine.

7. Jul 11, 2009 at 2:59 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Yes, P's are great for mostly street driving and hold up well to moderate offroading. I've had mine for about 9 months and they show no signs of damage and they are wearing nice and evenly. Traction is great in all areas, dry, wet, sand, slight mud, but I can't comment to snow. No highway noise, soft ride quality. I'm pretty certain I'll replace these with the same when the time comes.

.1 inch is the tread depth difference in the P and LT ratings of the tires I have. The tread design is exactly the same and if I'm not mistaken they are made from the same material, but the sidewall area of the LT is made thicker/stiffer.

Products Discussed in

To Top