1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lug Nuts and Tires

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by samer312, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mar 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    samer312

samer312 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Alexandria VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD OR
    Two question

So i was going to paint my rims flat back today but before I was able to even wash them off I ran into a rather large problem.

1. It appears a someone used the wrong size when taking off/putting on my lug nuts so they were somewhat striped/ shaped weird. I think it crap that toyota made are trucks with non solid metal lug nuts, but instead with theses caped ones that come apart so easily. Anyways can anyone point me in the direction a black, solid metal lug nuts that will fit the truck?

2. I was able to bang off one of the tires with a hammer, put the rest of them seemed to become rust on the truck, so much that I could not get them off. Called a buddy of mine and was told that when I do eventually get them off(ill go to a dealer or shop) that I should put anti seize on them. Anyone know if this is ok, at least on the front I am worried about grease being near my brakes.

Thanks for the help

2. Mar 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Capped lug nuts are not uncommon.

What would you rather have when some moron spins a lug nut onto a stud at the tire shop "for safe keeping" without the rim installed... the cap popping off, or the stud breaking when the nut bottoms out?

I've heard of antiseize on lug nuts before, but I'm not a fan of it on anything other than exhaust parts and plugs. Not concerned about the brakes... there's a whole hub full of grease spinning at the center of that rotor... the problem is that torque specs, unless specifically stated otherwise, are for clean and DRY threads.
    Any lubricant on the threads will result in excessive torque being applied when the torque wrench is brought up to spec.

As for the hubs themselves, thoroughly scrub the studs and hubs with a wire brush and apply a coat of paint to the hub face to help prevent rust. Unfortunately, Toyota hubs just "do that"... my '03 got new wheels after 2 months and the hubs were rusty.

I feel for you... such is the nature of alloy wheels on steel studs/hubs in an environment where the government puts salt on the roads in the winter.
    All you can do is be attentive on washing mud and salt off.

3. Mar 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    if all your lug nuts are off and the rim isnt coming off,just kick the bottom of the tire.(stand with your back facing the truck and back kick the bottom of the tire) I do this at the shop i work at. We use anit seize in all the cars that come into the shop. It doesnt go anywhere close to your brakes at all. Anit seize goes on the wheel stud to prevent the 2 metals from bonding and getting stuck. Good luck to you

4. Mar 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Sounds like someone recommended that it be smeared on the hub face... but ya, I answered as if it would be applied to the studs, and I still don't agree with the practice unless the wheel torque spec calls for lubricated threads.

5. Mar 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
  6. Mar 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    StickShifty

StickShifty Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 4WD 6SPD
    Some never seize on the hub where it meets the back of the wheel is fine. Pretty common. Just don't slop it on, put on a nice light coat.

7. Mar 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    samer312

samer312 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Alexandria VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD OR

Products Discussed in

To Top