1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LUK clutch kit quality and price ?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RGosen, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Jan 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    RGosen

RGosen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christ would now agree, don't get yourself nailed to a tree
    Kamloops B,C CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2000 toyota tacoma 4x4 2.7
    Cold air intake
    Hi all I just wanted to find out if the LUK clutch kit is top end clutch or low end. As I got a new clutch installed and front and rear diffs and transfer case oils changed for $1250 at a a place called alltoy 4wd toyota in my town and wondering if I got ripped off on the clutch and work done. As I have no idea if a LUK clutch kit is upper mid quality as the michanic said it was. as I made it clear I didnt want a low quality one as I want to keep the truck i said I want to see if I will be going back to him for other repairs down the road if I get more. Thanks ..
    Steve:D

2. Jan 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    To be honest, it depends. There was a time period that LUK evidently made some REALLY crappy clutches for the Tacoma. However I have installed 2 sets recently (These were aftermarket clutches, and not the ones that came from the factory on certain Tacoma trucks) and while I have not heard anything from one of my customers, the other said that he absolutely LOVED his LUK, and that it gripped much better than his stock clutch did, even from the factory. I think the newer ones are a better clutch, but I don't know how to be sure that it is not one of the ones from the batch made for the Tacoma that Toyota installed at the factory.

That being said, when I replaced my clutch in my personal truck, I installed a Banhauf Stage 3, and would never go to anything else. That clutch GRIPS!

3. Jan 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM
    RGosen

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamloops B,C CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Cold air intake

Ok it was not from toyota dealers. So I guess its not one of the crap ones. I am really hoping anyways lol after spending that kind of cash I sure the hell hope its not. But there is a year warrenty on the clutch so I guess even if it is the crap one it will most likely go out before a year I would think. So why do you like the Banhauf Stage 3 ? do they last longer than the LUK clutches for the tacomas ?

4. Jan 28, 2013 at 6:30 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I like the Banhauf because of it's grip force. I have never had a bit of trouble with mine, and I DO put it under some serious stress towing as well as off-roading.

5. Jan 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    RGosen

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamloops B,C CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Cold air intake
    The only ones I found anyhthing bad about with LUK were the non asian ones. They seem to be high quality clutches as many people say they torture there luks and they lasted longer than any other clutch they have replaced before. And this is the standard non gold LUK clutch.

6. Jan 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Luk is the low standard for clutches. Should work fine. I would go oem if possible.

BluefinTaco likes this.
  7. Jan 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    RGosen

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamloops B,C CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Cold air intake
    What is better about the other clutches besides how it feel ?? as I like the feel of this one and others friends I know that rat bag there clutch love them. So just wondering what is low quality about them lol ??

8. Jan 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    LUK is an OE supplier for a lot of manufacturer's for clutches. I've never used one of their replacement clutch kits but for a stock replacement I would think it would be fine. If you're going to be abusing it you shouldn't be looking at stock replacement clutches. Besides it sounds like it's already in the truck anyhow...

9. Jan 29, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:

I disagree. LUK makes some pretty high performance clutches as well. You can go to just about any brand and find a cheap version. I have seen some "High quality" clutches crash and burn as well. You get what you pay for when it comes to clutches.

10. Jan 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    RGosen

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamloops B,C CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Cold air intake
    Thats is vary tru. But I dont know what the cost of this one was as it shows it was 475 on the reciet but thats prolly like 200 there cost so its prolly not a real high quality one. but feeling like I got ripped a bit on the clutch for 1250 installed as it must be one of the cheaper LUK clutches for that cost

11. Jan 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    You were charged $1250 for a clutch? WOW. For that kind of cash I would install a Stage 3 kit with new flywheel, TOB, clutch & pressure plate, pilot bearing, slave cylinder, and master cylinder!

12. Jan 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    RGosen

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamloops B,C CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Cold air intake
    Damn wish I had someone like you near me. I dont think I will be ever going back to alltoy in kamloops. I feel quite ripped off.

13. Jan 29, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    RGosen

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamloops B,C CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Cold air intake
    Now the darn new clutch I just paid 1250 to get put in is slipping all ready..damn it..no wonder a lot of people have nothing good to say about these clutches. I was not %100 sure but now I am it is for sure slipping and chattering when in first. and when going in second and 3rd revs go up and i dont move any faster. I changed the slave and still same thing. cant believe such junk clutches are out there:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

14. Jan 30, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Looks like they sold you one of the bad sets. They might have gotten them second-hand. Take it back NOW and demand that it gets fixed. I wouldn't waste ANY time complaining. Be strong, but keep from being rude. You want them to be on your side the best they can. If I had a choice, I would ask for a different brand at this point (Tell them that you have lost faith in LUK for such a quick failure) and see what they say. Whatever they suggest, do NOT install an F1! Those are worse. I again will say I LOVE my Banhauf Stage 3, and it is not that expensive. I would expect it to retail for about $300? You can even find them on Ebay if you wanted to buy it yourself and tell them that it would only be fair if they switched it out, free of charge, and gave you your money back on the Luk.

After this, I think that even though I have had good success at my shop with LUK, I may have to consider dropping them from my line of clutches.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jan 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    RGosen

Member:
    First Name:
    Kamloops B,C CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Cold air intake
    Hey thanks for the reply. I am quite a few hrs away from the michanic who put the crappy LUK in but he did send me another one to put in its a Bech and arnly but after the last one he put in im not sure I want to put this one in even. how are the beck and arnly ? I am not sure if I am going to have the cash to get someone to put it in where I am at work, and dont think it will make it home the way it is or would really reack something if I tried to.. so I am in a pickle here.

16. Sep 30, 2023 at 10:05 PM
    PULVER7II

PULVER7II Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4
    Just had my mechanic put in a Luk clutch kit for my 03 2.7 4x4. First time having a new clutch. It sure is a hell of a lot more sensitive than my old. Do I need to drive x amount of miles before it gets used to my driving?

Products Discussed in

To Top