1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lunchbox locker Pros/Cons Powertrax No-Slip

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Russianman92, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Feb 8, 2019 at 9:03 AM
    Russianman92

Russianman92 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dunwoody GA
    Vehicle:
    1995 White Tacoma 3RZ 4x4 5 speed
    bilstein shocks/struts Add-a-leaf Mostly stock. Running 31x10.5 r15
    Whats up guys!
    1995 Taco 4x4 3RZ manual Reg Cab

So I have been looking in to getting a rear locker to begin doing some overland fun things and I know that most will recommend a ARB air locker or E locker but due to budget constraints I have been looking in to the Lunchbox lockers and they do seem appealing.

Locker I am eyeballing:
    http://www.gearsunlimited.net/toyota-tacoma-8/no-slip-locker/9220803002-powertrax-no-slip-locker/

I know it is out of stock there.

Not to be rude, but please don't just comment "get an ARB" or "get yourself an e-locker". I genuinely want to know if this is a viable solution or garbage.

So, questions:

1) How is it on road when turning?
    2) how do these things perform off road?
    3) What are the Pros and cons?
    4) Is there anything I would need to look out for as far as problems?
    5) Why don't more people use them?

Reason I ask is that there is limited info and youtube videos don't really show much.

Thanks in advance!

2. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:40 PM
    Broke Okie Ty

Broke Okie Ty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    California/Oregon/ Now in Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 trd with some stuff
    Armor, winch, other stuff
    I'll start with this; anytime you ad a full time traction aid to a rig, you will lose drivability on the street. There are lots of variables, but for the most part you will have to relearn how to drive your truck. Understanding how all the types of traction aids work is necessary to make a good decision for your needs.

1) If you coast through turns they are fine. If you power through the turn, the locker will engage and you will chirp tires or break the tires loose and drift/slide. It's really bad in wet or icy conditions.
    2) They are fine for off roading but they are not 100% locked like a spool, engaged air/e-locker, or a welded diff.
    3) There are lots of pros and cons of all types. These are mine.
    pros: decent price tag, easy install, some streetability retention
    cons: only engaged under power (skinny pedal), they don't last as long, not as strong​
    4) Sometimes when you mash the go pedal on a high traction surface, the locker will let go and you will hear a clunk and then clattering of the locker teeth. This usually happens when trying to cross 6 lanes of cross traffic, very frightening when it does.
    5) Lots of people use them. I have had several, everyone I know has had them at one point or another. I think the answer to this question goes like this. The average TW guy/gal doesn't want to give up streetability so they get air/e-lockers. For hardcore rigs, they just aren't hardcore enough like a 100% locked aid (spool, welded, air/e-locker).

I hope that helps.

RonJon31 and Russianman92[OP] like this.
  3. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:30 PM
    Russianman92

Russianman92 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dunwoody GA
    Vehicle:
    1995 White Tacoma 3RZ 4x4 5 speed
    bilstein shocks/struts Add-a-leaf Mostly stock. Running 31x10.5 r15
    Bro I truly appreciate your input and the time you took to write this. This was a great response. So did you have the lock right or the no slip? Or do they act the same?

Broke Okie Ty[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    Broke Okie Ty

Broke Okie Ty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    California/Oregon/ Now in Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 trd with some stuff
    Armor, winch, other stuff
    I have had the lockrite, aussie, and true trac. They pretty much all act the same and are based off the same design principles. Applied torque (ie go pedal) engages and locks the diff. I have also had every other brand and style of locker and spent a small fortune on them.

Are you looking to buy one for the rear or you going to get F/R

5. Feb 8, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    vern650

vern650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    hyrum, ut
    Vehicle:
    '97 4x4 taco xtra cab 3rz/5spd
    HBS leveling kit, 31x10.50 mudders, header/imco exhaust, rear billies, LR ucas, home brewed onboard air, cb radio
    I've had one(lockrite) for 3-4 years in my taco. Definitely an offroad upgrade, but as mentioned there is a learning curve to driving them. I mostly notice it in real tight turning situations like in a parking lot. If you don't ease up on the throttle just right you'll get some binding and hopping. Also every once in a while after a turn you'll get on the throttle and as things line up you'll get an audible "bang" that will scare the bejesus out of you. As far as normal street driving it's not much different, but tire wear is increased from tires slipping around around corners if it doesn't unlock.

Broke Okie Ty likes this.
  6. Feb 9, 2019 at 4:39 AM
    98tacoma3rz

98tacoma3rz Well-Known Member

Member:
    lancaster, pa
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab Trd
    I had a lockrite no slip locker in the same truck as you. (98 regular cab). I had it for a year or so then upgraded to an arb. I honestly liked the lockrite better. Had some issues with arb. No compressor or air lines for lockrite. It does drive a little different but I got used to it quick.

Broke Okie Ty likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top