1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Luv the taco's, but got a few questions

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by VTA HOT TACO, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Jul 30, 2007 at 10:56 AM
    VTA HOT TACO

VTA HOT TACO [OP] Member

Member:
    What's up everyone? Got a new 07 Tacoma a few months ago and have already bought the Billet Grille (Not installed yet). Unfortunately, you have to mill the front grill (existing) and that's gonna cost a couple hundo$. So I decided that I would go ahead and just begin the performance side of this baby of mine. ;) I've already installed the K&N air intake (unbelievable sound on accel.) and I love the impact it's made!

My next plan is for the exhaust and that's where I'm stuck. I've been researching this for about 2 weeks now (while saving the money) and have it narrowed down to two cat-back systems (to begin with, headers will come soon) , Gibson and MagnaFlow. I was just wondering which one will have the best gains for a tacoma? Which one will have the best gains once the performance chip is installed? How much hp is really gained by the new setup? Best for throaty sound?

Any recommendations for the kind of performance chips is always accepted too.

2. Jul 30, 2007 at 1:22 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the magnaflow on mine gets noisy in the cab at times...so if thats a big deal for u, then i wouldnt get it.

3. Jul 30, 2007 at 2:11 PM
    Spyder327

Spyder327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Aquamist 2D meth/water injection kit, URD Exhaust, DT Long Tube Headers, Hood Struts, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff...
    What "performance chip" do you plan on buying?

4. Jul 30, 2007 at 3:09 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Those "performance" chips are just snake oil. Just save your money for something that is proven performance, like a supercharger.

5. Jul 30, 2007 at 3:35 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    the chippiest thing i've heard of that actually works in the MAF calibrator. it needs soldering and electrical work to connect, but everyone that's got it from URD says its the best and the good way to get the HP from the intake and exhaust combo for the gas/air combo

6. Jul 30, 2007 at 3:41 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    ^ yeah, forgot about that. URD makes good crap!

7. Aug 1, 2007 at 1:30 PM
    Lee's06Taco

Lee's06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Stay away from performance chip. It will harm your truck in the long run. Go w/supercharger or turbo.

8. Aug 2, 2007 at 4:47 AM
    geezer

geezer Active Member

Member:
    The Gibson is quiet in the cab. It and a rubber box floor mat keep things quiet for me. I started by replacing the muffler only with a magna something or other and that lasted about 50 miles...way too much resonance in the cab. I sought the oracle (a REAL old guy who's been doing exhausts for over 4 decades) and found out I needed a resonator...also know as a glass pac to break up the sound waves. I put one in front of the muffler and it helped a bunch and enter the box mat for Xmas and all was quiet. Except I had $200 tied up in a system that was as much mufflers as pipe....grrrr. Finally (pay attention here boys and girls) I found this forum; did some homework; made a few calls and ended up with a Gibson. The mat might even quiet down the Magna Flow? Dunno about performance...it would be very costly to rent a chasis dyno for a day; purchase the top 3-4 exhausts; and run each one under more or less the same conditions. At best you might see a power shift up and down the rpm band but I wouldn't think the #'s would be that much different. Gibson also 'claims' to help the power in the most usable range and I did notice it was snappier on my first trip through the gears after the install. But no way can I say it makes more power just that it runs better where I live. An increase in power where you don't go doesn't do most folks much good. fwiw......

.............geezer

9. Aug 2, 2007 at 8:35 AM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geezer:
    Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a rubber box floor mat ???

10. Aug 2, 2007 at 2:37 PM
    geezer

geezer Active Member

Member:
    PR - Toyota and others make a rubber protective mat for the box of your truck. It's fitted for truck and is usually 5/8s to 3/4s of an inch thick. It protects the floor of your box from damage and (from what I've seen) deadens the resonance from the exhaust...no doubt an unintentional benefit.

................geezer

11. Aug 2, 2007 at 4:37 PM
    VTA HOT TACO

VTA HOT TACO [OP] Member

Member:
    By the word box, do you mean the floor boards of the truck? In front of the seats? Sooo confused.

12. Aug 2, 2007 at 5:15 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Methinks he means the truck bed.

13. Aug 2, 2007 at 5:20 PM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    geezer:
    Thank you. I have one of those too, but I call it a rubber bed mat. That is why I did not recognize what your were talking about. When I added my bed mat, it made no difference in my TRD exhaust sound, unlike you with your exhaust sound.

14. Aug 2, 2007 at 6:56 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    the rubber mat hasnt made a dent in the sound coming from my magnaflow at all

15. Aug 3, 2007 at 4:38 AM
    geezer

geezer Active Member

Member:
    Hasn't changed my exhaust sound either...but it did quiet the incab noise. No mat is going to change the exhaust note but it will dampen road noise and the droning noise from the exhaust. In my case 2 different sounds.

...................geezer

16. Aug 3, 2007 at 8:25 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    well thats what i meant...i had no sound difference inside the cab from the exhaust

17. Aug 3, 2007 at 4:43 PM
    Kevin296@adelphia.net

Kevin296@adelphia.net Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    Rad Red Sport
    TRD exhaust TRD CAI Urd Maf Cal TRD seat covers Black Tacoma and Toyota Emblems Subbie ant
    The TRD exhaust with TRD Cai works for me. It has a good sound, I also have the URD Maf which gives it a really good pull when you get over 3000 rpm's I have to get it tune then it will be really sweet.

Products Discussed in

To Top