1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MA Law & Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by phs2dent, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Mar 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    phs2dent

phs2dent [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma 4x4
    I've got an '04 Tacoma (new to me) that I'd like to do some work on...with a very limited budget.

I'm thinking of doing a version of the blinker mod and installing these (see link) driving lights where the blinkers are. Initially I was going to install them on the OEM bumper, but am wondering if having them hidden would be of greater benefit. I only plan on using them when driving outside of city/off road, so they'll be hooked to the lights and a switch. Does anyone have any experience with MA laws and lighting? Technically no aftermarket lights are approved for use. Fog and driving lights have to be DOT approved and only used during "extreme conditions". Can you be fined if mounted on bumper, but not turned on?

2. Mar 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've got a set of PIAAs on a grille guard and haven't been bothered. I'm not sure if they have a DOT stamp on them or not though, I can check after work. Mine are wired so they can only come on with the high beams. I would imagine that as long as you're not using them incorrectly, or around traffic, no one will bother you. Safety inspections have never been a problem for me either.

EDIT: I went to RMV's website, any lighting that is not SAE or DOT approved shall be removed. I guess it's fair warning, if they want to give you a hard time, legally they can make you remove them from the truck. I think if they're covered they're viewed as an off-road use only but I'd wait and let someone else chime in on that part.

3. Mar 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    phs2dent

phs2dent [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks,

I installed them on my bumper and wired up everything...except power.

Did you wire power to yours to the lights coming out of the fuse box in the engine? I was starting to run out of daylight and a little unsure, so I figured I'd play it safe and wait.

Products Discussed in

To Top