1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

major problem! breaks went out leading to wreck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jarury, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Sep 26, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    empty

empty Member

Member:
    Contrary to popular opinion, the number of pistons does not equate to braking ability, if it will lock the brakes/tires up or engage the ABS there is more than enough braking power, you need to know how to use it

2. Sep 26, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    That's the feeling I get all the time especially on wet roads. It's scary when I pull off the highway and put on the brakes at the end of the ramp and go thru the stop sign into the the intersection. Real scary. I know I should go real slow when I approach a stop because of ABS but it's just not in me to go real slow and what about when you have a panic stop you can't slow down for a head of time, then you hit a lady. NFG.

3. Sep 26, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    jarury

jarury [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jacob
    alvin tx
    Vehicle:
    2012 corolla s
    the wreck was shaped like an "L" i hit the front driver side of her jeep with the front passenger side of my taco. it was an asphalt road. going to get tacomas brakes checked tomorrow. and get the pictures from my camera

4. Sep 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Earlier I thought you said you hit her rear bumper?

5. Sep 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I'm willing to bet you had your foot on the brake and gas. In a sudden emergency I've done that where I didn't get my foot all the way over and I was pressing both at the same time.

Probably what happened was that, and the second time you went to press down on the brake you got your foot positioned correctly and only hit the brake the second time.

Wasn't your truck dude. Brakes are kinda an all or nothing deal. I really don't believe it wouldn't work initially but did the second time you pressed down on it if there was a mechanical error somewhere.

Again, to iterate, I've done this too.

6. Sep 26, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    im thinking that too. i HATE ABS BRAKES IN THE SNOW.i think they are dangerous

7. Sep 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    jarury

jarury [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jacob
    alvin tx
    Vehicle:
    2012 corolla s
    i never took my foot off the brake till it was in park but im still getting it checked.. think theres a leak or something i have to smash the pedal all the way to the floor to get it to even slow down.

Products Discussed in

To Top