1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Making the 4lo warning chime less obnoxious.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Collins, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Oct 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    uz guyz are rude

2. Oct 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Just tested my 07 (never heard a beep getting into 4lo before.) After engaging 4hi I switched to 4lo while still in drive...guess what? I got a beep!! :woot:

3. Oct 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Oct 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions

OP, your truck may have a bad 4WD actuator. Since your under warranty, go to the dealer and have them check it out. I know of one other person that had a bad one from the factory. For them it took a long time for it to engage properly.

5. Oct 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Collins... it doesn't go off if you are in L4, only if you turn the dial to L4 without being in Neutral (automatics) or clutch fully depressed per the card:

Toyota4WDCard_c357519ab187a863ca9a9f71af808731a2fff4a4.jpg

If it makes any noise doing it per the card, then there is a problem.

6. Oct 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    WTF, I didn't get so much as a mouse fart when I incorrectly went from 2Hi to 4Lo. I wonder if mine's broken or something :confused:

7. Oct 19, 2015 at 8:10 AM
    MIKO

MIKO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIKO
    Vehicle:
    2015 TACOMA 4X4, I4 MT ACCESS CAB
    NONE SO FAR
    Getting this right is not as easy as the above advice (Read the card, just follow the directions, RTFM, etc.) makes it sound. If you don't brake hard enough, you don't unload the drive train, and it STILL doesn't work. You actually have to

--brake to a full stop and then
    --HOLD the brake

while you switch in and out of 4 lo. You don't have stop hard enough to spill your coffee, but you do have to stop the vehicle and then keep it from rolling even the slightest bit. I just posted this as a separate thread because I think it's important enough to post about again.

8. Oct 19, 2015 at 6:19 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Zombie thread!

Nice revival MIKO

I need to be in neutral in my man trans, with the brake pedal pushed. Does neutral help in autos?

9. Oct 19, 2015 at 10:47 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    NEUTRAL is the ONLY way to get into L4 for automatics...! That's the problem I think... people don't read that big card in their sun visor, or the owner's manual, or understand Tacoma World posts??? PARK is NOT NEUTRAL. LOL!

Crom likes this.
  10. Nov 26, 2015 at 5:29 AM
    MIKO

MIKO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIKO
    Vehicle:
    NONE SO FAR
    You know this 4LO nonsense is really starting to P me off. It's getting worse. (not better, as someone suggested it should as the truck breaks in. Made sense to me.) But it's getting colder and it seems like the cold affects it. Great, just when I really need it. During a storm or buried in a snow drift or something.

Yesterday I was using my method of unloading the drive train and it just wasn't engaging. Coming from an '02 Tacoma with a very efficient little "Mini-me" shifter for engaging LO range, this stupid electronic actuator has me fuming.

I have a steep drive and a narrow 1 7/8 car garage. Using 4LO is something I do every time I come home. It makes it much easier to squeeze in between my other vehicles and the door. This is BS. This problem is so bad that the other contributors to this thread don't even KNOW it's not working. They were looking for ways to quiet the BEEPING. Ha! That's like turning up the radio so you don't hear your brakes grinding, instead of getting a service done. I just really, really HATE innovation when it goes BACKWARDS. The little manual shifter worked perfectly. Now they save a s__tload of cash by using a plastic dial instead of an entirely separate linkage, but my BRAND NEW truck won't engage 4 LO unless I play games.

This stupid re-design has me bumming I bought this truck, really. I had this AWESOME 02 and now I wish I had it back. Sure it was starting give me problems but at least it BEHAVED when I wanted to use 4WD.

Toyota_2011-02_cropped.jpg

11. Nov 26, 2015 at 12:18 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Take it in. Your truck is not working as it should and not a design thing. I had the same in my '01. My '05 & '10 work fine in L4.

12. Nov 26, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I don't have any problems getting mine in and out of 4 Hi or Lo but I would personally feel better if there were still a manual shift lever instead of a switch.

13. Nov 26, 2015 at 2:21 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I can agree with that, but the dial has never failed. Remembering to be in neutral for 4 low has been an issue a couple times, lol.

14. Nov 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM
    MIKO

MIKO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIKO
    Vehicle:
    NONE SO FAR
    I want to thank you all for your replies. I finally (no, I mean it, I swear... this time I did, I did...) found out what was wrong, why the dang thing would not engage 4WD low range.

CLUTCH TO THE FLOOR!!!

I want to give a special shout out to whomever posted the scan of the instructions, cause reading them a (4th?) time seemed to be the charm. It's as Kirkofwimbo says...

The clutch has to be TO THE FLOOR. Not like when you shift, but MASHED all the way down. That is what made the difference, and now I find I have no problems whatsoever engaging my Tacoma's 4WD low range. I am happy to say there is no defect with the vehicle.

15. Nov 29, 2015 at 1:51 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    You are welcome! Most of us are in a hurry, so we don't finish reading the fine print!
    Automatics must be in N (neutral).
    Manual Transmission must have clutch FULLY depressed.

Products Discussed in

To Top