1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Man I Suck At Backing Up With My Boat

Discussion in 'Towing' started by WATacoRider, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Mar 24, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    good thing all the ramps are pretty damn wide for my noob ass. :eek:

2. Mar 24, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    get some cones or jam some broom sticks in the ground and practice around your yard or driveway... helps a lot.

3. Mar 24, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    just takes a little practice...i've been doing it for years, so it's like backing up a truck with no trailer now, but the way i learned was to put your hand on hte bottom of the steering wheel, and whatever direction you push the wheel from there, the boat will go the same way. it is also easier to back up longer trailers becasue they respond slower to steering inputs.

4. Mar 24, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    BravesFan

BravesFan The MOST Badass Offroad Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Brentwood, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Super rock crawler
    haha try watching a women do it.......

5. Mar 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    The thing that helps me the most is to leave the tailgate down, you can see what your doing a lot better.

6. Mar 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    haha. i learned to back up with a trailer on my mower. My dad backs our boat in, but it is definitely harder to do than most people think. Practice always helps. just dont get frustrated

7. Mar 25, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Hey I can back up a trailer pretty darn good...............

To the OP, practice in a empty parking lot you'll get the hang of it in no time ;)

8. Mar 25, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    hahaha.

Just practice practice practice. If it gets off to the side too much just go forward some more instead of trying to compensate because likely you'll go too far the other way and then you just be what I call snaking it.

9. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    grab the steering wheel at the bottom. your hand movement will match the direction you want the trailer to go.

practice.

10. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    when you pull forward try to line it up with the ramp straight...then go straight back and don't turn the wheel or very little if needed....hopefully it will stay straight...lol

11. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    ^^^^ then once it gets going in the direction you want you just have to counter steer and follow it.

12. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    SLOW is the word of the day and put your hand on the bottom of the wheel instead of the top the trailer will go in the direction your hand goes SLOWLY

13. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    Gsquare

Gsquare The G stands for smooth

Member:
    First Name:
    GG
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2018 - TRD Off Road 4x4 - Cement / Graphite - DCSB
    ReadyLIFT 3/2 Lift Kit, T-Force TRD Black Satin Spoke Wheels, OEM TRD Red/Black Resin Center Wheel Hub Covers, Toyo P285/70R17 Open Country AT's, SpiderTrax 1.25 F/R Wheel Spacers, Blackout Pkg: Tailgate Letters, Badges and Tailpipe Extension, Qi Wireless Charging, LED Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock, Shark Running Boards, Weathertech Floor Mats, U.S. Airforce Decal Drivers Side Rear Window, MESO Gasshole Fuel Cap Holder, OEM Trailer Hitch Cap
    I'm glad to see somebody actually admit that because I don't get enough practice either. I can start backing my 17.6' boat into my driveway and end up three doors down in the neighbors front yard. I always feel like such a skirt. :D I'll get the hang of it!

14. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    JRA2000TL

JRA2000TL Member

Member:
    Mobile, AL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5 TRD Xtra Cab V6
    Sitting around at the boat launch on a weekend just as the summer is gearing up is good for some prime entertainment. Lots of noobs out there with their new boats out there; none know what they're doing.

Takes practice. I have a Honda Aquatrax F-12X PWC. The trailer is lighter and shorter than a boat. Imagine backing that very low, empty trailer into the water to retrieve the ski. When I've used my dad's Grand Cherokee, I had to back up with the hatch open to see the trailer.

15. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco â•’â•Şâ••

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I know what you mean! My first was a sea doo trailer, it was hard cause you couldn't see the dang trailer...you get the hang of it though.

16. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch

As long as you're out of every bodies way that's cool. It frustrates me when people have there cars parked where the people launching need to turn around. It's just a bunch of unnecessary traffic and not the safest thing.

You could put those pvc pipes on the trailer what ever those are called. I think they are meant to guide the boat onto the trailer but it could also be used for backing up.

17. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    ak47

ak47 v.hey its my Avatar avatar.v

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    stock 2nd owner
    its funny at work we have a bay where truck drivers have to back into to dump, its pretty tight but nothing extraordinary. dont know how many times we have had to replace the track to the roll up door.
    like everyone else said already practice practice practice. and dont be scared.

18. Mar 25, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Oh man, I definately snake it quite a few times, lol.

I can get it done, just wont look pretty or get it right the 1st time.... :eek:

But it's much easier backing up with boat, than just the trailer by itself. Hard to see it. And by the time I see it in my mirrors, it's too much to correct, if the driveway is tight. Gotta pull forward.... :rolleyes:

19. Mar 25, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    practice practice practice....

The advice given here with putting your hand on the bottom of the wheel and looking over your shoulder can help a lot when you're new.

It gets really fun when it's a small empty trailer and you can't see it till it's half cocked sideways :D

20. Apr 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Hand on the bottom of the wheel is a great tip and also try not to do anything too drastic when maneuvering. Small little adjustments are the way to go. Anything more than that and it's tough to get the trailer back on track without having the truck and trailer go all over the place. With practice you'll find it's a snap, even if you have to make turns to access the ramp.

Products Discussed in

To Top