1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual or automatic?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by SoTexTacoma, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Dec 6, 2007 at 10:02 AM
    SoTexTacoma

SoTexTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AllOver, TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRDOffroad
    BP-51 w/Dakars MobTown Hybrid Bumper All-Pro skids Redline Hood Struts AllPro bed bars
    Looking into the 4WD capabilities of Tacomas before I decide which Gen to get. What people think of the Auto Lock Hubs vs. Man Lock?

2. Dec 6, 2007 at 10:09 AM
    98yota

98yota Mean Green Machine

Member:
    Marion, VA
    Vehicle:
    4WD Timberland Mica taco
    CAI, gutted cat, bed cover.
    ive always liked manual personally, but sometimes it can be a pain when its freezin cold outside and ur hubs wont turn. it is nice to have auto, but i can always trust manual :cool:

3. Dec 6, 2007 at 10:24 AM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    i've never seen one where you lock the hubs, how do you do that?

4. Dec 6, 2007 at 10:32 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I prefer manual, but auto is convinient. The last 4WD I drove was an 01 XTerra. It never had a problem with the auto hubs, but my 84 Suburban went through 2 autos before I put manuals on it.

Manuals are just more reliable.

5. Dec 6, 2007 at 11:49 AM
    SoTexTacoma

SoTexTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AllOver, TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRDOffroad
    BP-51 w/Dakars MobTown Hybrid Bumper All-Pro skids Redline Hood Struts AllPro bed bars
    I've heard a lot of the same things about domestic auto makers.

6. Dec 6, 2007 at 12:01 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    For a daily driver.....I'd rather have the *shift on the fly* 4WD setup (auto hubs). Both my tacomas had auto.
    I wheeled my first tacoma a lot - and never had any problems with the auto hubs for all those years of wheelin.

On the other hand.... my Jeep was built specifially for the trails and it has D44 and we installed manual hubs. I wouldn't have anything else for it. Besides the fact that the axle shafts vibrate when they're turning all the time (nature of the beast) but the fact that you can disconnect one front wheel while the diff is locked up (in technical rock crawling situations). I have Warn hubs and you can buy hub diffusers that are designed to break before a u-joint (tacomas don't have u-joints in the front axle shafts).

So - it all depends on what you're using the truck for.

7. Dec 6, 2007 at 12:06 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The older tacoma's had manual hubs. I think it was either an option or came only with specific trucks. A friend of mine had a 99 Regular cab w/ manual hubs.

It's a dial on each front wheel that you turn to 'LOCK' or 'FREE'

'LOCK' simply means the wheels and axle shafts are connected together and turning together. This also means the inside of the front differential is turning also.

'FREE' simply means the wheels are turning but not the axle shafts. The front differential is not turning.

Vehicles with Auto hubs - the shafts/wheels are always connected and always turning together along with the inside of the diff.

8. Dec 6, 2007 at 1:03 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    right now all i have to do is turn a knob and i'm in 4wd. But manual locking hubs you have to actually get out of the vehicle and twist a knob on the hub to lock it and unlock it. you have to do it to both sides. its a pain but if i had a machine for just off road use i'd want it since its more reliable. In a vehicle with manual hubs you can put your vehicle in 4wd but the front 2 wheels wont be turned by the motor until you lock the hubs. For an occasional off-roader automatic is fine though

9. Dec 6, 2007 at 11:31 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    with as much as i thought i knew about cars, i'm surprised i've never heard of that before. then again, i know about go-fast cars not get-dirty trucks lol

10. Jan 3, 2008 at 7:06 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I offroad whenever I can and no problems with the auto hubs. blew out the front diff, but no problems with the hubs.

11. Jan 3, 2008 at 8:09 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    then off-road your way down to NC for the taco meet bro, 3 days of trails, mud, and taco bell..woot...oh and fishing/beer too

12. Jan 3, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    When is that again? Still unemployed so maybe I could get away from the snow for a couple days.... lol

13. Jan 3, 2008 at 8:26 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    april 25th-27th, Uwharrie national park in NC...it's been about 4 degrees here for the past couple days, including today, and sunday it's supposed to be 52 lol....damn illinois

14. Sep 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    mas32259

mas32259 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD Sport
    TRD short throw shifter, Eibach 1.6" lift coils 5100's on all corners, Ipod interface, Painted engine cover, radiator cover, skid plate, speaker grills overhead console, and added carbon fiber and chrome interior trim (Too much cheap plastic) TRD cat back, LED 3rd brake light. 100 lbs of sound deadner. Infinity ref. 6 1/2 all around. OBX pedals and shifter. DTRL mod, Alt. turn signal mod, LED's in glove box and console, LED's under dash lip and back A/C vent,Weather Tech mats. Took off antenea for wind noise
    I almost ran a guy over when he got out on a big blind hill to lock his hubs

Products Discussed in

To Top