1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual Tranny Q? Please Help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bowhunter11199, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Jan 10, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    bowhunter11199

bowhunter11199 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. Jan 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I assume they are like the 2nd gens manuals...there's likely no dipstick but you have to remove the trans fill plug and physically check the level of the fluid. It takes gear oil not traditional auto trans fluid.

Update: ok, not sure of your familiarity with the truck, so here's more info....

The manual trans, like the differentials, have a fill and drain plug. You check the gear oil level by removing the fill plug and the level of the gear oil should be right at the bottom of the hole. In other words, stick your pinking finger in the hole and you should feel some gear oil just at the edge. Sometimes a little oil will slowly drip out, that's a good sign you're at the right level. They typically recommend changing your gear oils anywhere from 30k-60k miles...check you owner's manual.

Even so, your trans has a lot of miles on it and might be wearing out, particularly if the gear oil wasn't changed on regular intervals or was abused when off-roading or towing. It could even be a worn clutch disc, all depends on what kind of trouble you're having.

3. Jan 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    bowhunter11199

Member:
  4. Jan 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    bowhunter11199

Member:
  5. Jan 10, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    They certainly could be stuck on there pretty good. I would suggest getting the haynes or chiltons manual for your truck so you know what to look for. There might be pics on this forum too if you search, but those how-to books are priceless.

I'm no expert, but the problem you're describing could be a number of things:
    1. Make sure you're fully pressing on the clutch and not slightly riding it when shifting
    2. Problem could be worn/damaged throw-out bearing
    3. could also be a worn or damaged clutch "finger"...the springs that push the clutch plates apart.
    4. worn 2nd gear or part of the gear activation (i.e. synchronizer)

These kinds of things are likely best looked at by a mechanic. New clutch plates and/or throw-out bearings shouldn't be too terribly expensive, but if you need to replace major components like gears it will be much more expensive. I'm not sure, but it might be cheaper to buy a rebuilt transmission if it is damaged, probably costs at least $2k if I had to guess.

That's just some ideas...I'm not an expert, but that might provide some ideas to get you started.

6. Jan 10, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    beefcake

beefcake J-rob

Member:
    First Name:
    J-Rob
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    98 4WD V6
    Debadged,Deck Plate mod, Helix throttle body spacer, magnaflow two chamber, smoked corner marker lamps, cb radio, smoked headlights, grillcraft mesh grill, URD short throw shifter, ultagauge, billstein 5100 front struts, spidertrax 1.25 spacers on all four
    the check plugs are on top of the transmission if you loosen the bolt and are able to feel fluid in the transmission by sticking your finger in there, then you are fine on fluid. If fluid levels are ok then refer to what larry is suggesting

7. Jan 11, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    troopa4life

troopa4life Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7 Reg Cab 5 Speed
    Doug Thorley Shorty Headers
    Ok first off DO NOT LOOSEN the bolts you are trying to loosen. Those are not the manual tranny drain/fill plugs. The drain/fill plugs are 24 MM.... I am sending you a link which has pictures of where the bolts are http://www.4runners.org/writeups/difftsf/. The images are for a 3.4 manual 4runner but it's the same tranny as the tacos. Open the fill plug and put your index finger inside. If you dont feel any tranny oil then you will need to fill it until it starts pouring out. If you want to replace the oil I suggest using Redline MT 75w-90 oil. Before trying to tear up the transmission try replacing the transmission oil with the oil I have mentioned. Hope this helps.

8. Jan 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    bowhunter11199

Member:
  9. Jan 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

Yeah my moms old car started missing 1st gear kinda like your 2nd gear. She had the clutch replaced and it worked like a charm. Now I don't know if that's your problem but it could be. I would check the fluid levels and there good you might want to replace the clutch If that still don't work you can buy a used one at a junk yard for 500 to 800 bucks depending on the yard.

10. Jan 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    bowhunter11199

Member:
  11. Jan 11, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    bowhunter11199

Member:
    also i tried again to try to get the fil plug off. NO LUCK! i dont have a metric socket that big so i got out an adjustable one but im just slowing stripping the bolt so again i stopped. Do they sometimes seize shut?

12. Jan 11, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, they can be on there pretty good...particularly if you don't have the right tools. I recommend getting the right size socket before you strip it so bad you can't remove it. You might need a 1/2 wrench or a small breaker bar to break it loose...but more importantly: right tool for the job!

If you are uncomfortable doing the job, by all means seek professional help. This isn't a hard job, but if you don't want to blow money on tools, then get some help (or borrow).

Another note: be sure you are loosening the fill plug and not the drain plug!! You don't accidentally want to drain the fluid without having new oil to refill it with. This is also a good idea when replacing the oil...always loosen the fill plug first...you don't want to have trouble getting it loose after you've already drained the oil

13. Jan 11, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    bowhunter11199

Member:
  14. Jan 12, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    datacotruck

datacotruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyler
    Fremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB MGM TRD Offroad 4x4
    if all your other gears are working flawlessly, my guess would be that it is your synchro..

15. Jan 13, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    I did some more thinking and I tend to agree. I think the key is that it is only one gear causing trouble, so it very well could be a synchro or else the actual stick shift mechanism.

16. Jan 13, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    bowhunter11199

Member:
  17. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    datacotruck

datacotruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyler
    Fremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB MGM TRD Offroad 4x4
    It can't be your clutch because you are able to shift into all your other gears fine. The only other thing that it might be would be your tranny fluid is either empty or needs to be replaced..but I would still think it's your synchro

18. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    bowhunter11199

Member:
  19. Mar 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    S-Runner '01

S-Runner '01 Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Yakima "the Palm Springs of Central Washington"
    Vehicle:
    BSP '01 S-Runner
    Garmin 260W - GPS Scanguage II K&N FIPK Kit Delta Low Profile Toolbox Fumoto Oil Drain Valve New Toyota Front Mats B&M Short Throw shifter New Tokico Gas Shocks Compustar Anti Theft Alarm System Redline Elite Hood Struts Phase Linear DVD/MP3/CD Player Professionally Detailed
    I really doubt that if he were a "master mechanic" that he would be changing synthetic oil (At about 8 bucks a quart) every 2500 miles. If he told you that then I'd think that anything else he might have told you was also bullshit and wouldn't believe any of it.
    I think he's bullshitting you. Don't believe that you need to change your oil that often. That's just a waste of money.
    Have a good day.
    jj

20. Mar 4, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    bowhunter11199

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top